Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:27:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666500 times)
lilmonster

« Reply #1260 on: December 09, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »

I called about the LineATank sealer, I was told it is a MCU and will work on Nylon. "It will stick to almost anything"  He said.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1261 on: December 09, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »

What is an MCU?

Will they put that in writing?  That it will adhere to nylon and is impervious to ethanol?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
GAAN
« Reply #1262 on: December 09, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »

a MCU is a marine paint it stands for moisture cured or some such

http://www.offshore-technology.com/contractors/corrosion/mcu-coatings/

we used this stuff on machines that sat outside at Johnston Atoll

I know nothing about it except it was applied in a gumby suit

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:49:02 PM by Mother » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1263 on: December 09, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

What is an MCU?

Will they put that in writing?  That it will adhere to nylon and is impervious to ethanol?
Moisture cured urethane. That's what POR is.

I'm skeptical.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

GAAN
« Reply #1264 on: December 09, 2010, 05:12:12 PM »

maybe its time for a fuel cell in a plastic tank-shaped vessel
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:41:49 PM by Mother » Logged
lilmonster

« Reply #1265 on: December 09, 2010, 05:38:09 PM »

If Caswell has been used with success, I will probably use it. I know alot of Us are trying to find a solution to the problem because eventually, Ducati will stop replacing tanks on older bikes. Just trying to help.
jgrm1

« Reply #1266 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »

Izaak,

I received another email last night from the Yahoo group requesting more data.  You have been collecting data from us for a while and I am curious how you intend to use that data.  I am also curious about your plan now that there is a class action and interest from the NHTSA.  What's next?

I read a couple of letters written by Ducati owners in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News asking when the media was going to get involved in the expanding tank issue.  It seems the movement is growing (pardon the pun).  MCN's advice was to contact NHTSA.

Thanks,
Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1267 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »

Is this old new?  I have not been keeping up with the problem until this morning.  I just talked to Caswell TS and he said Ducati has tested the product and is adviseing the use of it for the expansion problem.  I was conserned about longevity of it and he said he has been working thier for eight years and has never heard of a problem.  Plastic Duc tanks are obviously not that old but.

My 07 S4Rs tank is just now getting long enough to have a problem latching.  The local dealer told me he has a pile of thirty tanks out in back that Ducati is making them keep on hand.  He also said Ducati sent him an advisory that they are no longer addressing the problem!  They were up until the middle of November.  No news thier probably.

lGrain of salt anyone?

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

known as   PHENOL NOVOLAC EPOXY GAS TANK SEALER

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1268 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »

Izaak,

I received another email last night from the Yahoo group requesting more data.  You have been collecting data from us for a while and I am curious how you intend to use that data.  I am also curious about your plan now that there is a class action and interest from the NHTSA.  What's next?

I read a couple of letters written by Ducati owners in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News asking when the media was going to get involved in the expanding tank issue.  It seems the movement is growing (pardon the pun).  MCN's advice was to contact NHTSA.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff, I really can't go into details yet.  All of the parties are still talking.

Is this old new?  I have not been keeping up with the problem until this morning.  I just talked to Caswell TS and he said Ducati has tested the product and is adviseing the use of it for the expansion problem.  I was conserned about longevity of it and he said he has been working thier for eight years and has never heard of a problem.  Plastic Duc tanks are obviously not that old but.

My 07 S4Rs tank is just now getting long enough to have a problem latching.  The local dealer told me he has a pile of thirty tanks out in back that Ducati is making them keep on hand.  He also said Ducati sent him an advisory that they are no longer addressing the problem!  They were up until the middle of November.  No news thier probably.

lGrain of salt anyone?

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

known as   PHENOL NOVOLAC EPOXY GAS TANK SEALER

I set up the testing of Caswell for Ducati, and pushed them to look at a barrier (coating) solution. 

The word was that the coating worked to prevent the swelling and adhered well, but due to homologation reqs they (Ducati as manufacturer) could not use it.  It works well though, and several folks on the Multistrada board have had it in their tanks well over a year now.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1269 on: December 17, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »

~4.5 month into the new tank that I had Caswell-ed.  No expansion so far!
BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1270 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:47 AM »

Hey Cdawg or anyone that has used Caswell, I just pulled my tank and am drying it out so I can use the Caswell when it gets here.  Caswell advises that you bump in a handfull of drywall screws and shake to scratch the intererior for adhesion.
It seems to me that a few could get stuck in the corners?  And if they do they would or could find thier way to the sensor plate.  Anyone worried about it.

Also I have read that the tank will shrink after a good dry.  This is not good if it continues to shrink after application, risk cracking under movement.   I am going to set mine up with a small fan blowing through it at the plate hole for at least a month to be sure.  It is winter in Michigan so I am down anyhow.

Drywall screws sounds like shade tree mechanic advise but whatever works, as long as they all come out.  At least count them for sure but then what if they do get stuck?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:28:36 AM by S4RsRocket » Logged

"But sire what are we to do.  You have taken all our weapons and now the heathen hordes are at the gate.  Are we to lie down and give them our lives.  Without weapons they will make us eat ourselves."
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1271 on: December 18, 2010, 05:28:22 AM »

the screws are recommended to knock loose any scale or rust.  there's no need to do that on the nylon tanks.

i would recommend looking inside the tank and cutting off any thin air bubbles that are in the surface before coating as the coating will sit on top of the bubble.  the bubbles are artefacts from the rotomolding and removing them is non-problematic.  use an exacto knife and cut conservatively.

the bubbles i am referring to look like a pimple- they rise off the inner surface.  anything below the surface leave alone.  typically, they will "pop" just using your fingernail.  Most tanks will have no more than 2-3 and most will have none.

BoDiddley

S4Rs In Michigan

« Reply #1272 on: December 18, 2010, 05:31:29 AM »

Thanks : Any thought on the shrinking?  I cannot see very far at all in my tank to look for pimples?  S4Rs 07....

J.P.

« Reply #1273 on: December 18, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »

I too was told by my dealer that Duc sent him a memo and will no longer replace tanks as it's a cosmetic issue.
Haven't been by to get my bike (with a new tank) to ask him for a copy for Iz. Sorry- they're over an hour away.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
J.P.

« Reply #1274 on: December 18, 2010, 05:39:46 AM »

Anyone try Stabil's Marine Ethanol Treatment? Lable says it has 4 times the ethanol fighting component- what ever that means.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: