Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666591 times)
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1230 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:33 AM »

As I remember, the first generation Monster Dark tanks were plastic in Europe and metal in the US because they would not pass the shed test.  If I remember correctly, those tanks were also color impregnated, not painted.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1231 on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:12 AM »

Got a link?  or know anyone who has one? 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
muskrat

« Reply #1232 on: December 07, 2010, 06:29:40 AM »

I've been working on this for over 18 months now and I don't see it that way -- and it does nothing but cost me time from my work.

The problems are multiple.

If it was as simple as you believe, it would have already been done.  Trust me, I know.

Sarcasm rarely works on the web.  bang head
My purpose wasn't to make it seem simple, I know there's way more involved and most of it over my head.  I just hope this gets resolved quickly for everyone's sake.  Ducati can't afford another PR nightmare.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1233 on: December 07, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »

Ducati can't afford another PR nightmare.

Another? When was the last time they had a PR nightmare? It seems that they've been riding pretty high for at least the past 5 years.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #1234 on: December 07, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »

I don’t remember anyone saying that their tank suddenly started leaking fuel and caught fire burning their jewels and destroying the bike.

Yeah I know they can leak, it's just that you'll have plenty of time to know that it's comming and have your local dealer address the issue before then. It's not a safety issue unless you ignore it alltogether.

I wish I could share that naievte. This is definitely my last Duc. Not from the tank issue specifically. But from requiring all the bits to make it ridable. Other bikes at similar price points don't require as much BS. Though I don't believe they are immune to tank deformation either.

I think anyone who buys a Ducati should go into the purchase with open eyes. As far as needing bits to make it "ridable" I would venture a guess that most bits are to taylor it to you. I dont know of a single brand or model of bike that anyone feels is perfect right off the showroom floor.
Yes they are more expensive to own and maintain, and you get something special for that time and effort and money. If I look at an Acura NSX and A Ferrari 360 in those terms the Acura wins every time. But in the end which one would you rather have in your garage to drive?

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
arai_speed
« Reply #1235 on: December 07, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »

Just heard from my dealer that my 3rd tank was ordered.  No ETA on delivery....my last pearl white tank took about 2 1/2 months to be delivered.

I'm gonna casswell this one and call it a day.
DRKWNG
« Reply #1236 on: December 07, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »

But from requiring all the bits to make it ridable. Other bikes at similar price points don't require as much BS.

Actually, this is incorrect.  Pretty much any high-performance big bore V-twin has the same issues with wonky fuel mapping and super lean conditions.  Talk to any of the KTM or Buell (with the rotax motor) riders.
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #1237 on: December 07, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »

07 S2R1K silver with black stripe warranty tank replacement

10-08-10: First trip to Coleman's for pictures and paperwork to submit warranty claim. Told I would have to leave bike or deposit once warranty work was approved.
11-11-10: Notified by Coleman's that warranty replacement was approved and tank ordered. Updated that I wouldn't need to leave bike or deposit, but requested to bring bike in within 2 weeks after tank arrives.
12-04-10: Coleman's called to let me know that tank had arrived.
12-07-10: Dropped off bike to have the tank replaced. Supposed to be ready for pickup tomorrow.

Better than the Spring tank arrival predicted by Coleman's service department. Let the second swelling begin! [moto]

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
lilmonster

« Reply #1238 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »

I may have found another coating that can be used. It is a 1 part coating. Just open the can and pour it in after the prep is done. I have used this on a metal tank and it is holding up well. The info on the site says it can be used on plastic and fiberglass tanks. Please someone check it out and tell us what you think.  http://www.bluelightningproducts.com/product/FTLPT/FUEL-TANK-LINER.html
muskrat

« Reply #1239 on: December 07, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »

Another? When was the last time they had a PR nightmare? It seems that they've been riding pretty high for at least the past 5 years.

how about before TPG stepped in?  Financial ruin among other things.  A small boutique manufacturer cannot afford problems of this magnitude. 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1240 on: December 07, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »

I may have found another coating that can be used. It is a 1 part coating. Just open the can and pour it in after the prep is done. I have used this on a metal tank and it is holding up well. The info on the site says it can be used on plastic and fiberglass tanks. Please someone check it out and tell us what you think.  http://www.bluelightningproducts.com/product/FTLPT/FUEL-TANK-LINER.html

amazing that i've been coating tanks for years and never heard of the stuff.  "plastic" is too generic a term, i need to know it adheres to nylon specifically.  plenty of other plastic / polymer materials around.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
lilmonster

« Reply #1241 on: December 07, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »

I have a can of the stuff with the phone # of the mfg. 1-800-880-4461. If someone with more knowledge on the subject will research it to find out if it will work on Nylon. If it does, I think I may try it when I get another new tank. I paid about $30 for a qt. last year at a local shop.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1242 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »

I have a can of the stuff with the phone # of the mfg. 1-800-880-4461. If someone with more knowledge on the subject will research it to find out if it will work on Nylon. If it does, I think I may try it when I get another new tank. I paid about $30 for a qt. last year at a local shop.

i've poked around and can't find anything -- nylon isn't like PE or fibreglass.  it's slippery.  also, it needs to be impervious to ethanol.  the old kreme forumulation used polyurethane which is great with gasoline, but .. not so great with ethanol.. it also dried "flexible" like the blue lightning claims to do..   that's the only 1-part stuff i know of..  all the 2-part stuff dries semi-hard but is impervious to ethanol once dried.

lilmonster

« Reply #1243 on: December 07, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »

I have used it the one time. It seems to be holding up on a metal tank with holes. This stuff plugged the leaks and has been in use for about a year with Ethenol in the tank. It was easy to work around the tank, not too thick and can drain out excess easily. I will try to call them to get info on use with Nylon.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1244 on: December 07, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »

Got a link?  or know anyone who has one?  

I do remember there were plastic dark carbie tanks in Europe.  All of Europe?  Anywhere else?  Dunno.  When I inquired about a plastic tank for mine I was told it would have to be ordered from Europe and would need different hardware.  If I remember correctly, I asked Bruce Meyers why the US  didn't get the plastic tanks and he said they failed CA emissions.  

I didn't know there were early plastic FI tanks, but I did a Google and found this from the old board.  I didn't link it so people don't need to go there.

utzelu

Default Re: 620 IE Fuel filter change.
It does cover the FI models, but I've just now realized that the US version of 2002 620ie Dark has metal tank, while the European version (and mine) has plastic tank. The changing procedures is different between the two.

Sorry I can't do better since I realize you are looking for something you can hang you hat on, but maybe someone from the other side of the pond can help.  I wonder is stopintime could find out what material his tank is made of.  Maybe the non EPA pay your own way more permanent cure is a Euro tank.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:34:44 PM by howie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: