Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:21:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666566 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1200 on: December 03, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »

not for cheap.

Ducati is replacing tanks outside of the 5yr/18k warranty.  NQA.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1201 on: December 03, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »

not for cheap.

Ducati is replacing tanks outside of the 5yr/18k warranty.  NQA.

Hadn't heard that before, but it's good to hear as long as it lasts.

[stupid question time]

What is NQA?

[/stupid question time]

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1202 on: December 03, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »

[stupid question time]

What is NQA?

[/stupid question time]
No Questions Asked

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
Bladecutter

« Reply #1203 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »

I thought he meant:

Now Quit Asking!

BC.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1204 on: December 03, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »

[stupid question time]

What is NQA?

[/stupid question time]

yes, No Questions Asked.

They are also replacing tanks for non-original owners. 

They are trying, even if not perfectly.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
AMGnDuc

2011 Ducati Streetfighter S

« Reply #1205 on: December 03, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »

How exactly is a new tank, made the same way and with the same material going to fix the issue?

Unless you mean "fix the issue" TEMPORARILY...then YES...it will "fix" the issue Smiley

Two separate dealers told me that the new tanks coming in look noticeably different inside, so they think Ducati is doing something new to them.  Who knows, it is what it is.  It'll fix the problem temporarily at least.  Grin
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1206 on: December 03, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »

New tanks are clean and look different.  Off white.  They probably are comparing new and old.  Current replacement tanks are the same material.

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1207 on: December 03, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »

I thought he meant:

Now Quit Asking!

BC.

laughingdp

I should have known, I get that alot.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1208 on: December 03, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »

I just read your update on the main thread. I would say that Acerbis has to get their head right since they provide tanks for just about every European manufacturer.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1209 on: December 03, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »

I just read your update on the main thread. I would say that Acerbis has to get their head right since they provide tanks for just about every European manufacturer.

Yes and no.  Ducati owes you a good tank, not Acerbis.  They are just Ducati's supplier.

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1210 on: December 03, 2010, 03:55:55 PM »

I understand that, but once Europe goes E10, they will see this issue across all the manufacturers that outsource to Acerbis. It is in all their best interest to make sure Acerbis provides a viable tank for future use or face the possibility that the manufacturers will have to look elsewhere.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1211 on: December 05, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »

Received this earlier this week as an update from the legal office:

"Dear Ducati Owners,

Thank you for contacting Girard Gibbs about your Ducati and the plastic fuel tank problems. *Over the last several weeks, we have spoken to a number of Ducati owners with degraded and deformed fuel tanks. *We greatly appreciate all the feedback we have received, which has helped us to better understand the problem and how Ducati has dealt with it. *While we are still in the process of individually contacting some of the people who have written to our firm, we wanted to take this opportunity to update everyone on the progress of our efforts to obtain a solution.

In October, we formally notified Ducati that it had violated warranty and consumer protection laws and requested that it cure those violations by notifying its customers of the defect and providing them with replacement fuel tanks that do not degrade and deform in the presence of the motorcycle’s fuel. Ducati has declined our request and we have now initiated a class action on behalf of all Ducati owners with plastic fuel tanks, seeking the same relief.

We want to stress that the goal of this lawsuit is not to punish Ducati or put them out of business, but rather to get Ducati to acknowledge and address the existence of what we believe is a problem with the material used in its fuel tanks.  Instead of replacing deformed fuel tanks with tanks that use the same material, we believe that Ducati is required to correct the underlying problem by installing replacement fuel tanks that do not degrade or deform when in contact with fuel.  Ultimately, we hope to convince Ducati that such a problem exists and that the resolution we seek is warranted.

If you have any questions about the lawsuit, please feel free to contact Dylan or Samantha by responding to this email or calling our toll-free number (866) 981-4800. *Information about the status of the case is also available at www.GirardGibbs.com/Ducati.asp, and we will be providing periodic email updates after significant developments in the case."

Girard Gibbs LLP
601 California Street, Suite 1400
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone; (415) 981-4800
Fax: (415) 981-4846
www.girardgibbs.com
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1212 on: December 05, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »

Maybe Mr. Gibbs can shit you a tank that meets all the federal requirements.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

muskrat

« Reply #1213 on: December 06, 2010, 07:04:06 AM »

81 pages of the same crap.  This is simple really.  The capacity and knowledge is there to fix the problem once and for all and move forward.  I'll bet they will continue to replace the defective tanks with ones they have already stored for "just in case I crash" repairs. 

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1214 on: December 06, 2010, 07:25:07 AM »

81 pages of the same crap.  This is simple really.  The capacity and knowledge is there to fix the problem once and for all and move forward.  I'll bet they will continue to replace the defective tanks with ones they have already stored for "just in case I crash" repairs. 

I've been working on this for over 18 months now and I don't see it that way -- and it does nothing but cost me time from my work.

The problems are multiple.

The tanks have to meet crash/safety laws.
The tanks have to pass SHED/emissions regs.
They have to be paintable in such a way to be cost effective and meet the aesthetic needs of a primary visible component of a bike.
The tanks have to function well with crappy ethanol gasoline.
Moreover, given how small Ducati is, they likely have to be able to be modified simply to comply with EU rules for all of the above as well -- Ducati used the same items with small variations on all their bikes.  the only difference I have seen from an EU vs a USA gas tank is the vent line for the CARB canister requirements. 

If it was as simple as you believe, it would have already been done.  Trust me, I know.

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: