Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:20:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666513 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1155 on: November 30, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »

I am not sure I totally buy into this homologation argument.  Why can't DP come up with a "high performance" tank, either plastic or metal, as an aftermarket part just as they have with the 1198S?  That 1198S aluminum tank probably did not have to go through this homologation exercise.  Ducati can sell this aftermarket tank for say $1600, and also offer a one time "promotion" where if you trade in your current tank, you get the new one for free.  Sure it is a "wink wink" deal, but wouldn't that solve the problem?
Sorry you don't buy it.

You can spend a year doing what I've done and figure it out for yourself.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
slower than...

« Reply #1156 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »

Sorry you don't buy it.

You can spend a year doing what I've done and figure it out for yourself.

What I meant was, yes, if you were to try to pass on the DP aluminum tank as a replacement tank for the 1198S, you run into this homologation problem.  But if you get the same DP aluminum tank as an aftermarket part, your problem is solved.  Now maybe it is a leap of faith to think Ducati would offer you that aluminum tank for free, just to make the problem go away.  But if that could be done, couldn't it be done for all the models? 

Heck, I'd accept a DP coated tank as a high performance aftermarket option, if it won't expand, and if it were free.

Blinged out Yellow '06 SportClassic Sport 1000 monoposto

New to me '02 Monster S4 Senna

Sweet Red '99 750 SuperSport Half-Fairing
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1157 on: November 30, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »

What I meant was, yes, if you were to try to pass on the DP aluminum tank as a replacement tank for the 1198S, you run into this homologation problem.  But if you get the same DP aluminum tank as an aftermarket part, your problem is solved.  Now maybe it is a leap of faith to think Ducati would offer you that aluminum tank for free, just to make the problem go away.  But if that could be done, couldn't it be done for all the models? 

Heck, I'd accept a DP coated tank as a high performance aftermarket option, if it won't expand, and if it were free.

If Ducati was to manufacture an aluminum tank as a DP part it would be just what you said, an aftermarket part, not an OEM replacement part.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1158 on: December 01, 2010, 04:45:48 AM »

What I meant was, yes, if you were to try to pass on the DP aluminum tank as a replacement tank for the 1198S, you run into this homologation problem.  But if you get the same DP aluminum tank as an aftermarket part, your problem is solved.  Now maybe it is a leap of faith to think Ducati would offer you that aluminum tank for free, just to make the problem go away.  But if that could be done, couldn't it be done for all the models?  

The aftermarket parts (such as most of the stuff in the DP catalogue) is not homologated and most of it renders the bike illegal for road use.  In practice, this isn't an issue because the cop pulling you over has no idea you have HC pistons and a kevlar gas tank.  But Ducati cannot sell a bike (nor swap under a warranty agreement or settlement) a homologated part with a non-homologated one.

You can pay a dealer to do it, but that is not Ducati doing it, that is the dealer acting as your agent.  

If Ducati was to manufacture an aluminum tank as a DP part it would be just what you said, an aftermarket part, not an OEM replacement part.

this hits the nail on the head:  Ducati cannot swap your factory tank with a non-homologated variety under a repair/settlement swap.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
slower than...

« Reply #1159 on: December 01, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »

.......this hits the nail on the head:  Ducati cannot swap your factory tank with a non-homologated variety under a repair/settlement swap.

I do understand what you having been saying all along on this Iz.  Like many others, probably yourself included, I am just frustrated that this homologation technicality is making it so difficult to resolve this issue.  I for one would forego the whole "repair/settlement swap" process, if DP were to offer an aftermarket coated tank, at a one time, one per customer deal of $5.  I realize it is a hopeless fantasy, since it doesn't relieve Ducati of any liability, and with this ongoing litigation, they would seek a formal settlement.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:52:55 AM by slower than... » Logged

Blinged out Yellow '06 SportClassic Sport 1000 monoposto

New to me '02 Monster S4 Senna

Sweet Red '99 750 SuperSport Half-Fairing
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #1160 on: December 01, 2010, 06:58:17 AM »

Can someone explain why homologation is even an issue with my S4RS?  Is there a Monster racing series somewhere?  If so, couldn't Ducati use non-homologation approved REPLACEMENT tanks in markets that don't have that series?  The S4RS isn't even a current model, so it would seem that if a series did exist, all the bikes have already met the requriements with the factory tanks delivered on factory bikes.  A one time rrecall type replacement on a non-current model should not be an homologation issue for a racing series I'm not even sure exists.

Is there even such a Monster racing series in the USA?

Even so, it would seem Ducati should be more concerned about public safety, not to mention the good will of their street riding market, than they are about racing (and don't even get me started on the flaming voltage regulators and engines that won't even run at anything under 2000 rpm).

What brings in more revenue, street bikes or racing?

Seems that Ducati needs to bite the bullet and fix this thing.

I don't get it, but then, I don't follow racing either.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:00:08 AM by NorDog » Logged

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1161 on: December 01, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »

Probably "certification" is a better word.  US DOT/NHTSA for crash profile and SHED testing with EPA.

EU has similar bodies. 

Mhanis

« Reply #1162 on: December 01, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »

ok,.......so 696/1100 style.

internal tank made of whatever is best able to handle the E10 (or other) issues

external skin made of whatever will a)paint well b)stand up to normal wear and tear c)mold to fit as needed.

<going to go wait by the phone for the job offer from DNA...>

Is this a question or a statement of fact? As an 1100 owner I have thought of this exact same thing; did Ducati "fix" the problem on the newer Monsters by using the above as a solution?

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1163 on: December 01, 2010, 08:29:27 AM »

Is this a question or a statement of fact? As an 1100 owner I have thought of this exact same thing; did Ducati "fix" the problem on the newer Monsters by using the above as a solution?

I have 696 owners on my list.

Open the tank and look underneath.  If you see a "recycle" triangle that has "PA6" in the middle, then no.  If you see anything else, please let us know.

DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #1164 on: December 01, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »

I have 696 owners on my list.

Open the tank and look underneath.  If you see a "recycle" triangle that has "PA6" in the middle, then no.  If you see anything else, please let us know.

This is what's on the underside of my m1100 tank

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1165 on: December 01, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »

This is what's on the underside of my m1100 tank

that's it "PA" is the same as PA6. 

wow.  I haven't seen that "USA" stamp before now, I am going to ask some of my friends in Europe what they have.

thanks for the pic

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1166 on: December 01, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »

So if they used something other than PA6, we would not see this issue?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1167 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »

So if they used something other than PA6, we would not see this issue?

I can't say for sure.  PA6 can be treated or coated which eliminates the problem as well, which is why people have success with the Caswell product.

Other polymer materials have similar issues, so "IT DEPENDS" is the right answer.

Hypothetically, they could use the same tanks with a coating and everything is good to go. 

sbrguy

« Reply #1168 on: December 01, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »

anyone use this stuff?

http://www.primrose.com/content/view/156/31/

sounds pretty cool wondring if it will work when put into that separated fuel coke bottle that the one poster put up.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1169 on: December 01, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »

Sounds similar to Stabil to me...
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: