Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:43:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666791 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1125 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:29 AM »

i didn't see on the site where it said if the monster tank had the flange style fuel pump, or the older. i assumed not.

which doesn't mean i am right....
You're talking the aluminum? I was talking OEM.

I don't think the S*R  pump will work unless it's installed in the factory flange.

None of us have seen how they mount the pump in the a/m aluminum tanks...

so we're both probably wrong. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

JimmyTheDriver

« Reply #1126 on: November 24, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »

Hope this is not a derby - first I have seen of it.

http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2010/11/ducati-sued-over-faulty-gas-tanks/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:03:07 AM by JimmyTheDriver » Logged
Raux
« Reply #1127 on: November 24, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »

laughingdp waytogo
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #1128 on: November 24, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »

I saw that one posted on FB yesterday.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
hillbillypolack

« Reply #1129 on: November 28, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »

Oh boy.   popcorn

I am on the doorstep of getting my tank replaced, and saw this last week.  It certainly does place the fault at the feet of Ducati and Acerbis.  If it's proven that Ducati willingly manufactured tanks without taking into account the fuel composition, then they are liable for much more than replacements.  In fact, I can recall seeing E10 in fuel stations in 2000 or 2001.  There was also considerable talk of ethanol (e85) and biofuels (not as a common fuel however) when gasoline was up near $3/gal.

So, if Ducati did not plan to design and sell proper gas tanks in their biggest market it's a greed driven decision, IMHO.  They clearly thought the consumer would look the other way and deal with the replacements.

Sorry, Ducati.  If I am offered the 'necessary' Termignonis to get the bike to run right, need to re-gear for proper running, and contend with distorting fuel tanks, it may be my last Ducati.  At least new. . .
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #1130 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »

So, if Ducati did not plan to design and sell proper gas tanks in their biggest market it's a greed driven decision, IMHO.  They clearly thought the consumer would look the other way and deal with the replacements.

It's not cheaper for them to provide multiple tanks per bike instead of building one that didn't do this.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #1131 on: November 28, 2010, 10:12:41 PM »

today I realized something, Ducati probably doesn't make our gas tanks themselves.  they likely outsource it to a seperate company.

that means that when we have a problem and take it to our dealer, and our dealer contacts ducati, ducati contacts that third party to make the tank.

im betting theres some maaaaajor behind the scenes crap flinging going on between ducati and whoever makes the tanks over this issue. ducati probably isnt paying for replacement tanks/labor and whoever is making the tanks is probably falling over themselves trying to figure out how to make proper tanks.

dont know for sure. but makes sense right?
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #1132 on: November 29, 2010, 05:37:55 AM »

Oh boy.   popcorn

I am on the doorstep of getting my tank replaced, and saw this last week.  It certainly does place the fault at the feet of Ducati and Acerbis.  If it's proven that Ducati willingly manufactured tanks without taking into account the fuel composition, then they are liable for much more than replacements.  In fact, I can recall seeing E10 in fuel stations in 2000 or 2001.  There was also considerable talk of ethanol (e85) and biofuels (not as a common fuel however) when gasoline was up near $3/gal.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that last point.  As far as I understand, it was Acerbis' responsibility to test the tanks with fuel in Ducati's markets.  That doesn't change who you have to go to for a new tank or satisfaction though, but I would not characterize their actions as "greed driven" especially in light of the fact that they are replacing gas tanks for out-of-warranty bikes and bikes owned by subsequent purchasers (non-original owners).

And that is me, the attorney with my finger on the trigger for a (second) lawsuit against Ducati.

If you look at their actions since this whole thing started, I see a company either fighting with itself or running around with cranio-rectal inversion, but trying to do something positive.

I agree there is some dumb-assery involved given the prevalence of ethanol in gasoline in the USA, and Ducati has the legal responsibility to ensure their tanks are compatible.  But I don't see it as greed. 

Hopefully this/these lawsuit(s) will give them the kick in the ass they need to make public their plans for long term.  They can't replace these tanks forever.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1133 on: November 29, 2010, 05:38:43 AM »

today I realized something, Ducati probably doesn't make our gas tanks themselves.  they likely outsource it to a seperate company.

Don't mean to be rude, but did you just crawl out from under your rock?   Grin

The tanks have ACERBIS stamped on them underneath. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1134 on: November 29, 2010, 05:42:46 AM »

It's not cheaper for them to provide multiple tanks per bike instead of building one that didn't do this.

I think that's not a given.

In order to make a tank that doesn't have this problem they must:

1.  Find a coating that will seal properly and not affect homologation

OR

2.  Pay everyone some amount of money to get their newly-replaced tanks coated by the dealer with anything they want -- individual owners are not bound by homologation requirements.

OR

3.  Come up with a new formulation of nylon or some other plastic that has the same external properties and does not affect homologation

#1 and #2 are cost effective, #3 is probably cost-prohibitive.

My gut feeling is that the most expensive part of the tank manufacture is the painting.  Spinning up nylon in a rotomold isn't particularly pricey per-tank.  They already have the molds and at this point, it is just a material (nylon) cost. 

The problem for them is that nylon pa6 is EXCELLENT for molding these shapes and painting.  Other forms of plastic such as HDPE that are commonly used for tanks are not easily painted.   HDPE is the standard for car gas tanks now and it simply cannot be painted to the level of finish.  PEX is also used, but it is far more expensive and harder to paint (Cycleworks makes a PEX hi-cap tank and you can read his comments about the paint issues. great material but harder to work with and more expensive than Nylon).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:44:17 AM by ducatiz » Logged

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #1135 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:20 AM »

I hate to break your image of Ducati hand forming parts in a little shop in Bologna, but not only do they not make the gas tanks, I think they buy 100% of their parts from suppliers.  Even their frames are made off site and trucked in.

That is a fact with all motorcycle companies now-a-days.  Very little part fabrication occurs in house anymore, it is all outsourced due to the wide range of parts and expertise required (brakes, fuel systems, suspension, electronics, fasteners, etc.)

mitt

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1136 on: November 29, 2010, 06:22:51 AM »

I hate to break your image of Ducati hand forming parts in a little shop in Bologna, but not only do they not make the gas tanks, I think they buy 100% of their parts from suppliers.  Even their frames are made off site and trucked in.

That is a fact with all motorcycle companies now-a-days.  Very little part fabrication occurs in house anymore, it is all outsourced due to the wide range of parts and expertise required (brakes, fuel systems, suspension, electronics, fasteners, etc.)

mitt

yeah, it's been that way since about '92-93.  I forget what year.  I know the bevel and pantah frames were weld inhouse.  but even the pantah cases were cast by Empressa (sic?).  Heads come in cast but unfinished, they cut the valves and chambers at the factory.  fairly typical.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #1137 on: November 29, 2010, 07:12:29 AM »

I think that's not a given.

In order to make a tank that doesn't have this problem they must:

Not what I was saying. I was saying Ducati making a perfect tank right off the bat vs the current multiple tanks and lawsuit(s) would have been cheaper. AKA people never having the problem to begin with would have been cheaper.

Hillbilly was saying this current situation was motivated by greed. I vote it's not.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
xcaptainxbloodx

« Reply #1138 on: November 29, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »

mitt

I know this, but you all miss my point.

with everyone getting upset at ducati and the pending lawsuits. the buck doesn't stop at ducati.  if our brakes were make the beast with two backsed up would we be upset at ducati or brembo? who would be getting sued then? wouldnt  our energies be better spent fighting against acerbis for a permanent fix while talking to ducati to get our temporary fix?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #1139 on: November 29, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »

I know this, but you all miss my point.

with everyone getting upset at ducati and the pending lawsuits. the buck doesn't stop at ducati.  if our brakes were make the beast with two backsed up would we be upset at ducati or brembo? who would be getting sued then? wouldnt  our energies be better spent fighting against acerbis for a permanent fix while talking to ducati to get our temporary fix?

The buck does indeed stop with Ducati.

They are the only company you have a contractual or otherwise relationship with as a buyer.  You bought the bike from Ducati and they warranted it. 

No one has any relationship with Acerbis or Brembo regardless that they made the tank and brakes.  They are part and parcel of the bike.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: