Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 03:18:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666499 times)
Razgriz

'06 Sport 1000

« Reply #900 on: October 14, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

Just reporting in.
2006 Sport 1000, had original tank replaced on July, 2009 due to slight expansion.
Now October, 2010 the replaced tank has bubbles and severe expansion on the right side, like freaking 2 inches.
The dealer will only shim the tank and see if it'll expand any further before DNA will even attempt to replace it...  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:38:11 PM by Razgriz » Logged

"We pass the time of day to forget how time passes"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qdhf0Od2KE
mikimiki

« Reply #901 on: October 14, 2010, 11:45:18 PM »

Hello, guys.  Sorry to jump in but I need your opinion.
Has anyone replaced tank with Beverly Hills Ducati?

Two months ago, I requested them to file warranty claim for inflating plastic tank of my 2006 Monster Dark 620.
(I did not purchase my bike from them but they are the nearest dealer.)
When I first called them, it seemed like they were aware of the issue; they just asked me to send some photos and info (VIN, mileage, etc.).
They told me that I don't even have to show them my bike, so I kind of expected to receive positive answer quickly.
But since then, I don't even have an answer if my warranty request is approved or not.

The dealer kept saying that they were also waiting for an answer, so two days ago I finally decided to call DNA.
(Actually, I e-mailed DNA before but never got any reply.)
After several attempts (they are usually busy and put me in voicemail), luckily got answered. 
DNA checked my warranty request in their database, but they did not find my record...  i.e. I waited for two months for nothing...
The guy told me that he would check with the dealer and call me back.  Never called me back so far...

What should I do next?  Should I go to another dealer and start all over again?
If anyone had experience with this dealer, or some others in So-Cal, please let me know. 
Any suggestion is appreciated.  Thanks!
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #902 on: October 15, 2010, 03:14:22 AM »

I would go back to your dealer and tell them you called DNA to find out the status on your tank and they could not find the claim.  Nicely ask them to file again. 
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #903 on: October 15, 2010, 04:12:15 AM »

Just reporting in.
2006 Sport 1000, had original tank replaced on July, 2009 due to slight expansion.
Now October, 2010 the replaced tank has bubbles and severe expansion on the right side, like freaking 2 inches.
The dealer will only shim the tank and see if it'll expand any further before DNA will even attempt to replace it...  

Ducati issued a service bulletin which says to do this (shim the tank on SC models).  Apparently, they think some tanks only expand to a certain point and then stop or shrink back.  I don't think it will solve anything.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
mikimiki

« Reply #904 on: October 15, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »

Thank you, howie.  I will try a little more with this dealer.
Greg

« Reply #905 on: October 17, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »

Just got a call back from the dealer and they said I have been approved, they will call me again once my tank comes in.  waytogo

Tank finally came in Smiley Woohoo, everything fts nice again  waytogo

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #906 on: October 18, 2010, 06:58:35 PM »

I have some good and bad news regarding Caswell coating inside the tank.

I don't have the exact details yet, I expect to get them soon.  The good news is that the coating works, adheres and prevents moisture from getting into the material.  I don't have the details on their testing, but apparently it did the job fine.

The bad news is that the coating somehow changes the "profile" of the tank so that it does not meet homologation requirements.

This means that Ducati will not be using Caswell to prevent tank expansion, however, it does give some very good news for those who've gotten their tanks coated.  

I don't know how much detail I will get later.  I don't have any official test results or anything, only that Ducati did test the coating from Caswell and a) it works and b) it changes the tank so that it doesn't meet homologation requirements.  

"b)" doesn't mean anything to an owner, but it means a lot to the manufacturer, but "a)" means a lot for those of you thinking of doing the coating.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #907 on: October 19, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »

So let me understand, Ducati actually tested the coating on their end and found that it solved the issue, but because of the homologation requirements (EPA?) they are not allowed to coat the tanks directly. Now, does this mean that dealers are not allowed to offer the coating on their end?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #908 on: October 19, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »

So let me understand, Ducati actually tested the coating on their end and found that it solved the issue, but because of the homologation requirements (EPA?) they are not allowed to coat the tanks directly. Now, does this mean that dealers are not allowed to offer the coating on their end?

First off, I don't know that it's an EPA issue.  There are a lot of other homologation issues which come to bear, and AFAIK, the tank has to be homologated for every market Ducati is in.

Secondly, a dealer can do any work for you that you are willing to pay for:  overbore pistons, stroked crank, straight pipes, remove your lights, etc etc.  They don't have to stick to the factory configuration, and when you sign the work order, it will usually say something to that effect (that this modification may make your bike not street legal, etc).

I don't know of any issue that would make YOU or a DEALER coating the tank a problem.  I am having trouble figuring out what may come into play to prevent Ducati from using Caswell (it may just be the Caswell product, they might be using another coating for all I know).  NHTSA, DOT, EPA all come into play when a vehicle is put on the road in the USA, however, like I said, Ducati puts the same tank on bikes in every country so there may be some EU.  To my knowledge, Japan and Oz follow EU for emissions.

csp808

« Reply #909 on: October 19, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »

So any idea what their plan is? I'm sure eventually they will have to stop replacing tanks out of financial necessity and the fact you cant warranty a tank for life. I've heard the new style tanks <non nylon> are having the same issue. If this is fact it only makes sense to revert to a steel tank.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #910 on: October 19, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »

So any idea what their plan is? I'm sure eventually they will have to stop replacing tanks out of financial necessity and the fact you cant warranty a tank for life. I've heard the new style tanks <non nylon> are having the same issue. If this is fact it only makes sense to revert to a steel tank.

i can't comment on any of that, i have no idea.

although, i seriously doubt they will ever go back to steel tanks on the mass market bikes.  the plastic is just too inexpensive, too easy to make, and eliminates the dent problem. 

csp808

« Reply #911 on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:29 AM »

I see your point but if every new bike off the line has this problem that's not profitable from a warranty standpoint. Nor is it profitable to gain a reputation for manufacturing a product that has a defective major component. So With new models i wonder if Ducati will submit a coated tank for "homologation" approval prior to emissions certification or whatever approval they need. Ive also thought they could use an internal flexible bladder like a F1 style tank. It would add a degree of safety but would require a re engineered evaporative emissions system. Anyhow I'm sure their not giving up on the problem but i  can only sit here and guess what their game plan is coffee
Heath

« Reply #912 on: October 20, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »

i can't comment on any of that, i have no idea.

although, i seriously doubt they will ever go back to steel tanks on the mass market bikes.  the plastic is just too inexpensive, too easy to make, and eliminates the dent problem. 
Maybe I do not know how big the dent problem was but for me I think of it as.
Steel tank: If I crash I get a dent.. well ya
Plastic tank: If I use gas I get a miss shaped tank..  I'm screwed

hmm

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #913 on: October 20, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »

Maybe I do not know how big the dent problem was but for me I think of it as.
Steel tank: If I crash I get a dent.. well ya
Plastic tank: If I use gas I get a miss shaped tank..  I'm screwed

hmm

yeah, i know.  but they won't go back to a steel tank, i'd bet on that.  however, plastic can be made waterproof.  I'd rather they went to a bladder design anyhow, or a 2-wall design, but there are more things going on than i'm aware of.

WetDuc
AKA iamhybris

« Reply #914 on: October 20, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »

A 2 wall design seems like a good idea.
I had the tank replaced on my 695, and my S2R tank is on the way.  Both warranty claims done through Florida Motorsports in Tallahassee, FL.  It took forever to get both claims finally approved...it seemed each time the claim was filed, there was a picture/description issue on the part of the dealer causing it to bounce back.
All in all, myself, like most people, just want to ride and not worry about problems we "bought" ourselves into by choosing a Ducati. 
I appreciate your efforts, ducatiz.

2007 S2R1000, 2009 M696 & 2008 M695 (foster bikes)
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: