Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:13:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666646 times)
mjk778

« Reply #855 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »

I agree that DNA seemed to be very sympathetic to the whole situation.  He informed that the regional DNA rep was aware that Ducati SOHO was giving wrong info to customers and working to rectify the situation.  I also told him that if it was not for the wrong info from SOHO I would have had a new tank a year ago.  Now I am close to having a 5 year old bike, told him about the 5 year emissions warranty and he told me that even if I went over that time period, as long as the proper paperwork and pictures are sent to the regional rep, the tank would be replaced as a good will gesture.  I was very impressed by DNA customer service.
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« Reply #856 on: September 27, 2010, 11:35:41 AM »

he told me that even if I went over that time period, as long as the proper paperwork and pictures are sent to the regional rep, the tank would be replaced as a good will gesture.  I was very impressed by DNA customer service.

That is an INCREDIBLE backing from a manufacturer. I've had various manufacturers in the past tell me that the day my warranty expired I was pretty much up a creek. Hopefully I never have to test their resolve, but having a rep state that makes me confident that they have at least considered the scenario.

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
victor441

« Reply #857 on: September 27, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »

FWIW in case the problem IS indeed ethanol, this site lists ethanol free gas stations by state...
http://www.pure-gas.org/
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #858 on: September 28, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »

You've missed a few pages!

Yes its due to ethanol and yes that's been posted but that site hasn't been updated for a year.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
victor441

« Reply #859 on: September 28, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »

You've missed a few pages!

Yes its due to ethanol and yes that's been posted but that site hasn't been updated for a year.

sorry about that...but since there are 58 it was easy to miss a few Wink
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:55:21 PM by victor441 » Logged
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #860 on: September 28, 2010, 03:57:19 PM »

sorry about that...but since there are 58 it was easy to miss a few Wink

I've summarized the known facts in the first post.  Check it out.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
jgrm1

« Reply #861 on: September 30, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »

10.  Ducati NA seems to be engaged, but not to the extent we'd all like them to be.  That doesn't mean a solution isn't coming, but it also doesn't mean a solution is coming at all.  The best thing for me to do is continue working with them until I am convinced there is no more effort on their part.  I do not currently have a timeline, there is no statute of limitations for a defect suit of this type.

Excellent summary.  Thank you for updating page one to save us from scanning the latest posts for nuggets of information.  Has DNA indicated whether they are considering supplying replacement tanks with a coating or made from a better material?

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #862 on: September 30, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »

Just ordered the kit. I'll keep you guys posted on how well it goes with the dealer. My hope is that they start charging extra for the sealer, hopefully when they sell the bikes instead of after the tank expands.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Meerkat
When I'm not playing Silver Power Ranger, I'm a

« Reply #863 on: October 01, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »

Just bought an 07 S2R1K with the tank expanded til hell wouldn't have it. Can't even raise the tank it's expanded so much. Headed to the Ducpond tomorrow for the Ducati Experience Truck and figure I'll have them look at it and start the process to get it replaced.

'07 S2R1K
'09 Daytona 675
'03 620 Dark-Sold 03/26/2011
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #864 on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »

Just bought an 07 S2R1K with the tank expanded til hell wouldn't have it. Can't even raise the tank it's expanded so much. Headed to the Ducpond tomorrow for the Ducati Experience Truck and figure I'll have them look at it and start the process to get it replaced.

I wonder if the Ducati Experience includes a tank blowing?

Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #865 on: October 02, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »

My tank has expanded so much that the top triple clamp hits the tank on the left side.
Luckily, my new tank has arrived. However, my dealer cautioned against coating the new tank. The dealer stated that he has had only one problem of the new tanks expanding out of several hundred replacements. I hope he's right.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
mjk778

« Reply #866 on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

My tank has expanded so much that the top triple clamp hits the tank on the left side.
Luckily, my new tank has arrived. However, my dealer cautioned against coating the new tank. The dealer stated that he has had only one problem of the new tanks expanding out of several hundred replacements. I hope he's right.

Just out of curiosity, why did he caution against coating?  I am in the same situation, actually had my bike checked out today by Rockwell Cycles today and they recommended using Caswell to coat.  They did not guarantee it's effectiveness as it's only been a year since they started coating but stated that the replacement tank is the same as the old one.  Coating seems to be the only precautionary measure to take.  Did your dealer advise against for warranty issues or another reason?
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #867 on: October 02, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why did he caution against coating?  I am in the same situation, actually had my bike checked out today by Rockwell Cycles today and they recommended using Caswell to coat.  They did not guarantee it's effectiveness as it's only been a year since they started coating but stated that the replacement tank is the same as the old one.  Coating seems to be the only precautionary measure to take.  Did your dealer advise against for warranty issues or another reason?
He said that sometimes the coating does not stick, then you have chunks of coating floating around with the fuel. He also said that coating could void any future warranties.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
mjk778

« Reply #868 on: October 02, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »

He said that sometimes the coating does not stick, then you have chunks of coating floating around with the fuel. He also said that coating could void any future warranties.

Thanks for the feedback.  That's interesting.  I'm wondering if he was talking about the Caswell's or other Liner's?  I read about other epoxy's online causing this but not Cawell's.  Anyone else have any feed back on this?  As far as warranty's go, I'm at 4 1/2 years right now so my warranty is almost up anyway.  Plus how would they know if you had the inside of the tank lined?  It is clear from what I understand.  Too be honest, I'm sick of this tank issue already.  Just want to Ride!
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #869 on: October 03, 2010, 08:56:44 AM »

On a new tank, there is no evidence I've seen that Caswell will have any problem.  I personally know of 7 guys with multistradas with the coating for over a year now and at least another 6 more multis and monsters ranging from 4 to 12 months. 

It has been tested and there have been no adhesion issues.

If you are using the coating on a USED tank, then preparation is incredibly important and there MAY be adhesion issues if you do not prepare it correctly.  That means draining, cleaning, rinsing and letting it dry for a while in a dry environment.  If you are in a lot of humidity, then figure out a way to move it to a low humidity location and let it sit and air out and dry. 

Roughing the surface doesn't help.  But I recommend removing the air bubbles from the inner surface of the tank.  These are obvious when you see them, they are artifacts from the rotomolding.  Basically, they are a pimple -- a very thin bubble on the surface of the tank.  Cut the thin surface off with an exacto knife.  The tank is about 3/4" thick and you will have to try hard to puncture it, but go slow and just remove the bubble.  If the coating is on the bubble and somehow it breaks, gasoline/ethanol can penetrate under it and it can lift.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: