Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:02:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666644 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #795 on: September 03, 2010, 05:17:05 AM »

Lead and o2 sensor- maybe.
Note on caswell: applied it to the norton F-glass tank, must have missed a spot as the ethane fuel kept on attacking it, varnishing up the carbs,head. So application is very important, maybe employing a roto spinning jig thingie or something. The stuff does make a nice coating inside.

You have to keep turning the tank when you put it in. Thin it just a bit with MEK (double check that) and keep turning it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #796 on: September 03, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »

So finally, how many tanks can you coat with 1 kit?

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #797 on: September 03, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »

So finally, how many tanks can you coat with 1 kit?

probably as many as 3 with the monster pea tank

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #798 on: September 03, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »

Thanks. I have the owner of Shift-Tech saying that it can barely coat 1. He probably hasn't had to do it on his own bikes. I presume that it's 3 after you thin it out, right?

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #799 on: September 03, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »

The website says up to a 10gal tank!

Thinning it doesn't reduce the volume needed.  It just makes it easier to use.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #800 on: September 03, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »

Thinning it doesn't reduce the volume needed. It just makes it easier to use.
IMO...

that is one problem with the Caswell product.

It is not user friendly as packaged.

I also question the process for rusty steel tanks, but that is another topic that doesn't apply for plastic tanks.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

J.P.

« Reply #801 on: September 04, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »

You have to keep turning the tank when you put it in. Thin it just a bit with MEK (double check that) and keep turning it.
We used half the kit and rotated it for close to an hour (3 beer count). Unthinned. Thought the coating was complete. Recently rinsed out with MEK. Seems good now. The monster tanks will be easier- if it sticks, should get 2 tanks out of a kit. BTW- the norton tank had gas inside since 1969, and seems to have accepted the coating well after degreasing.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Old-Duckman

« Reply #802 on: September 04, 2010, 07:57:37 AM »

I bought the Caswell "Car" kit, "1 quart". IMO it was a bit confusing. The box it came in said "1  Pint kit" yet there was a sticker on the front of the box that read "Car kit". I called to make sure I had the right size that I had paid for...I did.

Anyway I have had my S2R1000 tank replaced about 6 weeks ago. I had purchased a used tank off a guy on the old DML probably in '07' ? I started to sand it back then and well, you know how that goes.

So anyway I thought that it would be wise to Caswell the new Monster tank but also thought it would be a good idea to "practice" on the used tank since I needed to repaint it anyway. At the same time I am putting a fiberglass tank for one of my GTs into service that I had bought from Syd's Cycles in the mid 90's. Never been used yet.

I cleaned the Monster tank out first as directed...Don't be as stupid as I was and followed the instructions to put drywall screws in the tank when you wash it out with Dawn detergent and hot water. I used #6 x 1" drywall screws, about a small handful. What a nightmare getting those out, what with the plastic coated hoses running through the Monster tank. Ended up using a bent welding rod to pry some out. (One even showed up while I was sloshing the Caswell around during application). The reason they have you put them in there is to "roughen up" the surface so the product sticks well...The screws did no roughening up that I could see...just a nightmare and waste of time. Needless to say, I skipped that step when cleaning the GT tank.

So I did add 1 oz. of lacquer thinner as suggested. I mixed the product in Pyrex measuring cup, using a silicone spatula that I picked up at WalMart for less than $2. I mixed per instructions and that went well. I split the product between the two tanks and rotated one, set it aside, rotated the other set it aside, back and forth until the products was solidifing pretty well. When I set one tank down to pick up the other, I changed sides that were resting on the floor. In other words, first time I would set it on its base, next time on its top, next time on its side...etc. I would occassionslly pick up the Pyrex measuring cup and roll what remained in it to see how it was curing. I'd bet that I was doing that process for well over an hour. They tell you to pour out the remaining product...Well I had rotated the tanks so long that I barely had a couple of drops run out. Set them aside over night but first cut off any excess sealer while it was pretty well set-up. This was more on the GT tank than the Monster, Mostly around the filler neck.

BTW, I had cut out and attached to the tank a 1/16" thick aluminum plate that fit over the fuel pump opening. I have a CAD drawing that can be printed out (Full Scale !) and used as a glue-on template to use for making a cover (PM me if you want the template drawing and I will email it to you). I fastened this to the opening with the stock screws but had to stack washers to get a tight fit. When I do it for my replacement Monster tank I will cut a cork gasket to go between the tank and the aluminum cover as using just the aluminum, some sealer leaked out during the rotating process. My template is a full circle so you do have to trim part of the circle off to clear a curve in the tank...this cut is not shown on my template drawing.

Overall the process was pretty pain free. Seems like I have a nice, tight, full coverage coating on both tanks...and still have enough left to do two more tanks.

Time will tell if the sealer does what it is supposed to.
J.P.

« Reply #803 on: September 05, 2010, 12:42:14 AM »

I still refuse to coat the monster tank, may void any warrenty.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Old-Duckman

« Reply #804 on: September 05, 2010, 01:46:21 AM »

I ran that thought through my mind too and I have not yet coated my warranty replacement tank but I do plan to. Here is my reasoning:

If the Caswell works, I will not need another (2nd) warranty replacement. If it does not and the 2nd replacement tank swells, by the time Ducati would get the 2nd bad tank (for physical inspection), I would already have the 3rd replacement on the bike.

When they checked my bad tank at the dealership, all they did was look at it from the outside and took photos. Even if they would open the cap and look inside, the Caswell sealer is glass clear and would, most likely, not be noticed.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #805 on: September 05, 2010, 08:31:50 AM »

Exactly why would it void the warranty? They would have to prove that the Caswell coating was the cause of the swelling

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #806 on: September 05, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »

yeah, everyone (incl me) that has had a tank replaced, it was only an external inspection.  i could have filled my tank with toulene for all they knew (i didn't)

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #807 on: September 05, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »

i may just enjoy the silver lining in this tank problem...

every time i have to replace my tank (haven't had to yet) I will try out a new color waytogo

much cheaper than constantly repainting it.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Old-Duckman

« Reply #808 on: September 06, 2010, 02:22:02 AM »

i may just enjoy the silver lining in this tank problem...

every time i have to replace my tank (haven't had to yet) I will try out a new color waytogo

much cheaper than constantly repainting it.
I'm sure that your post is tongue in cheek...but the only reason Ducati HAS to replace the tanks after the standard 2 year warranty is that the tank is considered part of the emissions system and by govt. mandate, that must be covered for 5 years.

So, that said, I don't think (though I may be in error here) that once your bike is 5 years old, the tank could grow as big as a house and Ducati would be under no obligation to replace it. I see no reason not to use the Caswell "solution". I'm just hoping that it really is a solution not just a waste of my time and money...
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #809 on: September 06, 2010, 07:51:04 AM »

I'm sure that your post is tongue in cheek...but the only reason Ducati HAS to replace the tanks after the standard 2 year warranty is that the tank is considered part of the emissions system and by govt. mandate, that must be covered for 5 years.

So, that said, I don't think (though I may be in error here) that once your bike is 5 years old, the tank could grow as big as a house and Ducati would be under no obligation to replace it. I see no reason not to use the Caswell "solution". I'm just hoping that it really is a solution not just a waste of my time and money...

5 years OR ~18,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: