Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 11:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666589 times)
DRKWNG
« Reply #765 on: August 11, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »

Just made my second claim  Sad  I wish I had the dough to but the aluminun one and get it over with

Yea, I'm on my third tank now, and noticed that it had already started to pimple a few days ago...  Tank number four coming to a theater near you...
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #766 on: August 14, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »

I just received word from my dealer that my tank (07 S2R 1K) would be replaced due to expansion. Will the problem be resolved?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« Reply #767 on: August 15, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »

I'd say not really. You'll get a new tank, but it will be the same as the old one.  Undecided

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« Reply #768 on: August 16, 2010, 04:07:30 AM »

I'm in the club now too. The local dealer has been awesome so far, knew the issue, took the photos and already ordered the new tank. Looking into coating options as I type...

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #769 on: August 16, 2010, 01:58:48 PM »

aha! Got an email out of no where from Nick at Rockwell Cycles,  I was starting to loose my faith in them, but they came through!

New tank is en route!!! Nick was kind enough to submit me for a red one. So no more black and gold for me. and no more pirate skulls.

Not sure when it will come in, but regardless of that fact, i will pick it up after my track day and remove it for coating with the caswell stuff immediately. Is there any report on the caswell stuff? does it work? No more having to break out 90 different tools just to  get my tank off. however i will miss the expanded tanks capacity, i was getting over 3.5 gallons of fuel if i ran the light +15 or so miles.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #770 on: August 16, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

Caswell is a go.  I am trying to get them to certify it will stick to our nylon tanks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #771 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »

Caswell is a go.  I am trying to get them to certify it will stick to our nylon tanks.
Cool! I have a new tank coming too.

2007 red S4Rs
DRKWNG
« Reply #772 on: August 21, 2010, 12:24:34 PM »

Looks like the new Aprilias are having this same problem as well...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211397
csp808

« Reply #773 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »

Just applied my coating yesterday its cured today. Its a pretty stout compound i poured a test section on a dirty shop table and after 24 hours set time had to razor blade it off. Once off i i noticed it has a degree of flexibility to it seems it would hold up to a crash. The application instructions were pretty spot on but i had to clean my tank several times to get it all the way clean. I used acetone the 1st cleaning but used brake parts cleaner the subsequent cleanings to reduce the chance of damage to the paint and the tank. I'm not recommending anyone use brake clean it may have side effects depending on the chemicals your brand contains may cause adhesion issues or plastic parts to become brittle. I had to repeat the cleaning due to an oil like substance i would find traces of in the tank. Gasoline reside possibly but it had no odor. Following a dish soap cleaning and a 12 hour drying period aided with compressed air I applied the caswells coating its very honey like in appearance and texture. Take your time and roll the tank around slowly i had about 15 to 20 min working time i spent 20 minutes emptying the mixture out as it begins to get very thick. Over all not a fun thing to do but im feeling better having done it and well see how it holds up
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:07:50 PM by csp808 » Logged
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #774 on: August 25, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »

I believe there are instructions for thinning the Caswell's product.  MEK is what they recommend, but double check with them.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
csp808

« Reply #775 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »

They did have some alternate ways to thin the compound for increasing the working time and splitting between two tanks. I wanted to keep it simple to minimize my clumsiness from screwing up the compound
arai_speed
« Reply #776 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »

My second tank on my Monster showing pimples now (center of pic) - I've had this new one for about 13 months now:

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #777 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:13 AM »

I find that my tank shrinks a bit if im on long trips where i fill up multiple times.

then i found out i can just shave my tank to get it look smooth again. my first attempt did not go so well. i will try again later.

you think they will reject me? They already approved and ordered my tank...

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #778 on: August 26, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »

I find that my tank shrinks a bit if im on long trips where i fill up multiple times.

then i found out i can just shave my tank to get it look smooth again. my first attempt did not go so well. i will try again later.

you think they will reject me? They already approved and ordered my tank...

LOL!!!

You crack me up

No, the tank's defect was presented and approved before the damage. 

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #779 on: August 28, 2010, 04:53:21 AM »

Added some research links to the first post.  here they are:

The last PA6 note mentions that PA6 can absorb moisture to 8% of its weight, and that's from a manufacturer of PA6 parts.

Footnotes:
On Nylon 6/PA6
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pola.1993.080310119/abstract
http://www.dsm.com/en_US/html/dep/akulonmoisture.htm
http://www.springerlink.com/content/h046820627255320/
http://www.zellamid.com/show.aspx?SP=2&url=202PA6

On Ethanol adsorption of water
http://www.springerlink.com/content/j2x43q45660x5617/
http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/news/E10.shtml

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: