Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 01:04:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 669995 times)
DarkStaR

« Reply #630 on: June 27, 2010, 08:32:20 AM »

Tank arrived, and will be installed on Saturday.

The service manager at the dealer I brought it to seems to knows about the problem, and asked me what I though, or what the rumor is.  I questionably answered with "the type of gas"... with out saying anything, he seemed to quietly agree.

coarsegoldkid

« Reply #631 on: June 27, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »

Is this tank expansion issue happening in all states.  Some states have different fuels.  I live in California and rarely see ethanol but will stay away from it if possible.

You don't stop riding motorcycles when you get old.  You get old when you stop riding motorcycles.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #632 on: June 27, 2010, 05:31:23 PM »

Is this tank expansion issue happening in all states.  Some states have different fuels.  I live in California and rarely see ethanol but will stay away from it if possible.

Where in California have you not seen ethanol?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
coarsegoldkid

« Reply #633 on: June 27, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

Maybe I haven't been paying attention to the fuel stickers on the pumps.  Maybe there aren't any stickers.  I always figured we didn't have it in our fuel.  So if ethanol is the culprit and it's in all fuel we are all screwed.    No need for steel tanks. Just having a plastic fuel tank doesn't mean plastic tanks are bad.  My BMW tank is plastic and has no issues.  BMW has been using them for years. By the way my friends 1100 Monster has a plastic tank with side covers similar to the BMW I think.  Are these newer tanks also prone to expanding?

You don't stop riding motorcycles when you get old.  You get old when you stop riding motorcycles.
DUCURTI

« Reply #634 on: June 28, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »

What coating?

I didn't have the extra $400 so I didn't get it and can't remember the name of it. I'll give the service manager a call and get back to you.

2007 s4rs
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #635 on: June 28, 2010, 05:43:24 AM »

I just discovered that I have the expanding tank problem too.  Rockwell has a new tank on order for me ($2,095) for my S4RS.  I'm on the fence about the coating too.
lawbreaker

« Reply #636 on: June 28, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »

... Looks like i'll be doing my SECOND warranty based tank swap.  bang head

The replacement tank i have (replaced 2 yrs ago) is not only deforming on the sides but elongating too.... hitting the latch now.

I'm now in the market for a metal tank
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #637 on: June 28, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »

NYLON 6/6 POLYAMIDE  (PA)
ZYTEL® 101F NC010 (Dry) (PA)
DuPont Engineering Polymers / Americas - Polymide 66
General-purpose nylon 6/6 has good toughness, tensile strength, and resistance to creep, particularly in
the high temperature range. Nylon has excellent wear properties. low coefficient of friction, and exceptional
chemical resistance to aromatic hydrocarbons, greases, and oils. Nylon is a hygroscopic material. Moisture
acts as a plasticizer reducing the tensile strength, stiffness, and increasing elongation, impact strength,
and energy absorbing characteristics.
Outdoor weathering can be improved by the addition of carbon black.
Nylon will perform well in long range service in most applications at temperatures as high as 185°F (85°C).
Nylon is a translucent off white color.

This sounds like a match, alcohol absorbs water, nylon absorbs water, tanks expand...

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #638 on: June 28, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »

NYLON 6/6 POLYAMIDE  (PA)
ZYTEL® 101F NC010 (Dry) (PA)
DuPont Engineering Polymers / Americas - Polymide 66
General-purpose nylon 6/6 has good toughness, tensile strength, and resistance to creep, particularly in
the high temperature range. Nylon has excellent wear properties. low coefficient of friction, and exceptional
chemical resistance to aromatic hydrocarbons, greases, and oils. Nylon is a hygroscopic material. Moisture
acts as a plasticizer reducing the tensile strength, stiffness, and increasing elongation, impact strength,
and energy absorbing characteristics.
Outdoor weathering can be improved by the addition of carbon black.
Nylon will perform well in long range service in most applications at temperatures as high as 185°F (85°C).
Nylon is a translucent off white color.

This sounds like a match, alcohol absorbs water, nylon absorbs water, tanks expand...

damn

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #639 on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »

I wonder how much water e10 can contain before it becomes obvious.  Ethanol merchants must know.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #640 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:53 AM »

I can't give you a good scientific answer like Bill (thank you) gave us on the properties of Polymide 66, but from my experience with gasahol in the late '70s and early'80s, a lot bang head
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #641 on: June 29, 2010, 03:14:11 AM »

I wonder how much water e10 can contain before it becomes obvious.  Ethanol merchants must know.

I have been talking with a lab that is going to examine a tank for me and I asked them this question a while back, I just got their reply in the last week.

E10 gasoline has been demonstrated to retain as much as 1% water (by volume), depending on the ambient temperature.  At a reference of 0 deg F, E10 has been shown to absorb 0.3% whereas at 90 deg F, the amount is as much as 1%.

This doesn't seem like much, but when it is compared to pure gasoline (G100), the percentage volume tops out at about 0.2% water absorption at 90 deg F.  Gasoline with MTBE show similar performance to G100.

I originally assumed the expansion issue was directly related to ethanol penetration, but after learning that PA6 / Nylon 66 has water absorption properties, I can hypothesize how ethanol is actually causing the problem.

Ethanol absorbs water, there is no way around it.

Phase separation is a phenomena which happens when Ethanol "enriched" gasoline sits.  Water present in the fuel mixture literally drags the ethanol out of the mix -- by gravity.  Water is heavier than gasoline and in solution it clings to the ethanol.

As a result, you end up with a pool of water at the bottom of your tank.

My recommendation for everyone is to store your bikes with an empty tank and to regularly use Stabil or similar solution to prevent phase separation.  Some are better than others -- "marine" formulations are just more potent.  Startron and Stabil have both indicated their products should have no problems in a nylon tank.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #642 on: June 29, 2010, 04:19:11 AM »

damn

+1

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Wonked

« Reply #643 on: June 29, 2010, 04:57:51 AM »

Just got the call from BMW/Ducati of Atlanta - my tank's been approved. Should have it sometime next month.

Debating whether or not to do the Caswell coating, or the Stabil method mentioned above. Maybe both? $400 (Caswell coating parts and labor) seems a bit steep if the results are in doubt.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #644 on: June 29, 2010, 05:05:46 AM »

You can do the Caswell yourself for about 100 materials.

There are guys on the SC and Multis who did the Caswell over a year ago and still good. 

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: