Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 05:44:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666536 times)
Dave328

« Reply #615 on: June 19, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »

Just filed my complaint with the NHTSA. Thought I had filed it before, but didn't. On the bright side I go pick up my bike today, and DNA is going to replace my tank protector. waytogo

<edit>
Interesting talk with the svc mgr when I picked up the bike today. He said the new tanks coming out right now are made with a thicker mold of the same plastic. He was told the added thickness would keep the expansion/rippling at bay. Also, he said they have replaced the fewest  tanks on Monsters. They've already swapped out a bunch of Sport Classics, and even some 898/1098's. Triumph has also joined the party with a bunch of Speed Triples. I would bet the third party supplier is in for a world of hurt from Ducati SpA. FWIW, the part price on my invoice for the tank was $1875!  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:52:29 PM by Dave328 » Logged
Greg

« Reply #616 on: June 20, 2010, 05:54:34 AM »

Can't remember if I originally filed with NHTSA or not, anyway, just filled out the form and got back the emailed confirmation  waytogo

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
victor441

« Reply #617 on: June 20, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

FWIW Triumph switched back to steel tanks a few years ago and their plastic tanks were also made by Acerbis IIRC...though from what I've read Triumph plastic tank problems were not nearly as common as on Ducs

<edit>
Interesting talk with the svc mgr when I picked up the bike today. He said the new tanks coming out right now are made with a thicker mold of the same plastic. He was told the added thickness would keep the expansion/rippling at bay. Also, he said they have replaced the fewest  tanks on Monsters. They've already swapped out a bunch of Sport Classics, and even some 898/1098's. Triumph has also joined the party with a bunch of Speed Triples. I would bet the third party supplier is in for a world of hurt from Ducati SpA. FWIW, the part price on my invoice for the tank was $1875!  Shocked
[/quote]
jacksplat

« Reply #618 on: June 20, 2010, 12:07:58 PM »

I have the same problem with my 06 s2r1000. I filed a report with the NHTSA.
Has anyone in manhattan had this problem? Which dealer did you go to?
It would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful if we could have a list of dealers in different states who have repaired these tanks under warranty. It'll be an invaluable resource for newbies like me with the same problem and it'll help reward good dealers.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #619 on: June 20, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »

I have the same problem with my 06 s2r1000. I filed a report with the NHTSA.
Has anyone in manhattan had this problem? Which dealer did you go to?
It would be TREMENDOUSLY helpful if we could have a list of dealers in different states who have repaired these tanks under warranty. It'll be an invaluable resource for newbies like me with the same problem and it'll help reward good dealers.

A few guys here are in Manhattan.  Don't bother with Corsa, go to Rockwell's.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #620 on: June 20, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »

A few guys here are in Manhattan.  Don't bother with Corsa, go to Rockwell's.

+1, dont go to Corsa. Thinking about them touching my bike is equivalent to this. I actually I think this is a great comparision of whats going on there half the time.

like a ketchup bottle

Rockwell is much better

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Mojo S2R
Wearing a cape offline so that others know I am a

. Dark Mojo .

« Reply #621 on: June 21, 2010, 07:27:55 AM »

FWIW Triumph switched back to steel tanks a few years ago and their plastic tanks were also made by Acerbis IIRC...though from what I've read Triumph plastic tank problems were not nearly as common as on Ducs

<edit>

Holy crap $1875.  For that much dough I wonder if they would rather replace mine with a CF DP tank instead.  I wouldn't have any complaints if they did.

scduc

« Reply #622 on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked oh shit that was f'n hilarious

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
beancounter

« Reply #623 on: June 21, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »

Done.  Filed my DOT NHTSA complaint waytogo

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #624 on: June 21, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »

New tanks thicker?

If the problem really is ethanol permeation, then thicker material won't help at all.

It just means a longer "gestation" and even less fuel capacity

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Dave328

« Reply #625 on: June 22, 2010, 02:13:30 AM »

New tanks thicker?

If the problem really is ethanol permeation, then thicker material won't help at all.

It just means a longer "gestation" and even less fuel capacity
That's exactly what I was thinking. But I chose to not get into a long debate over it, and go ride.
Considering DNA's response to my clutch failure, I have zero confidence in 99% of what they say. Wink
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #626 on: June 22, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking. But I chose to not get into a long debate over it, and go ride.
Considering DNA's response to my clutch failure, I have zero confidence in 99% of what they say. Wink

where do these tech hear these things anyway? I swear if its rumors, its one thing, but if they start blurting it out like they heard it from the CEO, i start walking away slowly.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #627 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:39 AM »

I always ask when I hear rumors. Last one of these was heard from the regional service manager.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
DUCURTI

« Reply #628 on: June 24, 2010, 01:36:02 AM »

My 1st replacement tank was installed this past Tuesday. Couldn't be happier with the timeline... thanks Duc Pond!

They did offer a solution that was guaranteed to solve this problem for good... some sort of coating for $400.

2007 s4rs
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #629 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:38 AM »

My 1st replacement tank was installed this past Tuesday. Couldn't be happier with the timeline... thanks Duc Pond!

They did offer a solution that was guaranteed to solve this problem for good... some sort of coating for $400.

What coating?

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: