Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666522 times)
Duckintime

« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2010, 04:31:24 PM »

There are a few alternatives... if you come across a metal tank, one can always plumb an external fuel pump.
- "Fuel Cell" can also make you a tank
- Chris can amaze us some more with his talent and come up with a tank for FI  Grin
-Plumb an external pump for the carbie tanks that chris  designed.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #436 on: March 25, 2010, 02:56:19 PM »

Yeah... I hear you. It sucks, but it's the reality now. Tongue pregnant doging to vent is one thing ... some of the stuff I read on here (not from you, and I don't know who from, as I don't remember names) about lawsuits and the like are more than over-the-top.

<snip>

Why?

They made a business decision that didn't work.

Why should the customers put more money out of pocket to fix the mistake?

I'm not advocating that Ducati go out of business, but you would think there would be a middle ground .

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Duckintime

« Reply #437 on: March 25, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »

Perhaps Ducati's middle ground is replacing the tanks. But to not get reassurance the expansion wont happen again is very tough to swallow. Like I mentioned earlier, all my gas powered garden/outdoor tools have plastic tanks... those tanks are in perfect shape. With the new monsters possibly having problems, its just inexcusable.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #438 on: March 25, 2010, 11:23:39 PM »

Why? They made a business decision that didn't work. Why should the customers put more money out of pocket to fix the mistake?
I'm not advocating that Ducati go out of business, but you would think there would be a middle ground .

The middle ground is going to be replacement upon such a time that the fuel tank doesn't hold fuel. Otherwise, the expanding will be an "undocumented feature". And a cosmetic one, at that.

It still isn't a "business decision". They didn't chose to have this happen. And you think they are going to spend a several million $ on new tanks? I don't think so.

There have been a number of issues on all kinds of products over the years where owners and manufactures get stuck in a bad deal. Ultimately, I don't see this being a safety issue. I am pretty sure that Ducati will be prompt to replace a tank that's actually leaking fuel when there's no apparent cause for it to. (which could be a safety issue)

What's a 2005 S2R 800 like mine worth right now? $5000? $6000? Either way, we're talking about a replacement part that's 1/3 to 1/2 the value of the vehicle. It doesn't make sense to do that over something that isn't a safety issue.

Does the bike run? Yes. Does it spill gas? No. Is the paint flaking off? No. Looks to me like Ducati is already doing far more than they could be (or have ever done before) in trying to please. This is a bit Lord of the Flies.

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #439 on: March 26, 2010, 01:24:24 AM »

The middle ground is going to be replacement upon such a time that the fuel tank doesn't hold fuel. Otherwise, the expanding will be an "undocumented feature". And a cosmetic one, at that.

It still isn't a "business decision". They didn't chose to have this happen. And you think they are going to spend a several million $ on new tanks? I don't think so.

<snip>
The business decision was one of switching to a different material on the tank.

I'm assuming they made that decision based on cost and it hasn't worked.

I would argue that a tank that doesn't operate as designed is more than a 'undocumented feature' and is not cosmetic. Just because you're willing to struggle to change a battery or service an air cleaner doesn't mean everyone is.

You are correct though. It is in no way a safety issue.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #440 on: March 26, 2010, 01:33:40 AM »

There are other options and Ducati is working on them right now. 

There have been a number of issues on all kinds of products over the years where owners and manufactures get stuck in a bad deal. Ultimately, I don't see this being a safety issue. I am pretty sure that Ducati will be prompt to replace a tank that's actually leaking fuel when there's no apparent cause for it to. (which could be a safety issue)

You don't see it as a safety issue, but Ducati does which is part of why they are replacing tanks on bikes that are out of warranty (both of them) and with 30,000 miles on the clock.

What's a 2005 S2R 800 like mine worth right now? $5000? $6000? Either way, we're talking about a replacement part that's 1/3 to 1/2 the value of the vehicle. It doesn't make sense to do that over something that isn't a safety issue.

I respect your opinion, you know bikes.  However, a small number of tanks ARE leaking and Ducati is taking the cosmetic issue seriously.  If you had posted this 6 months ago I might have been discouraged but I have found Ducati more than willing and interested to try to resolve this.

Does the bike run? Yes. Does it spill gas? No. Is the paint flaking off? No. Looks to me like Ducati is already doing far more than they could be (or have ever done before) in trying to please. This is a bit Lord of the Flies.

well. uh..  nuts to your asthma!

best,

'tiz

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #441 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »

You are correct though. It is in no way a safety issue.

My tank latch would not engage at all.  The dealer removed the latch so the tank would sit on the bike flat.  I put a bungee cord across the top so the tank would not bounce while I was riding

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #442 on: March 26, 2010, 02:09:24 AM »

My tank latch would not engage at all.  The dealer removed the latch so the tank would sit on the bike flat.  I put a bungee cord across the top so the tank would not bounce while I was riding
I've ridden bikes with more wrong than that. Grin

Let me re-phrase...not usually a safety issue.

perspective

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #443 on: March 26, 2010, 02:50:31 AM »

I've ridden bikes with more wrong than that. Grin

Let me re-phrase...not usually a safety issue.

One bike, sure.  When I was 19, I had a CM400 that had a CB tank duct taped to it -- for like a month. 

Having the original tank swell to the point it is potentially unsafe to use (and there is a possibility it will leak directly onto the heads) is a safety issue.

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #444 on: March 26, 2010, 02:51:35 AM »

My biggest concern has always been the steering lock, which is more of a security concern than safety

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #445 on: March 26, 2010, 06:42:16 AM »

My paint is flaking off over a particularly noticeable tank tumor.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #446 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »

My paint is flaking off over a particularly noticeable tank tumor.

Can paint flaking into your eyes be considered a safety issue?

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:23 AM »

So yes, all you folks with the recent quoting of my post: if you would have READ what I wrote and weren't all panty-bunched, you would realize that each case you mention are a great common sense middle-ground that are covered by what I wrote.

Paint flaking off: check
Leaking: check
Steering lock not functional: Oops missed that. Check

Absolutely.

Yeah, so I've said my piece and am going to peace out of this thread as I feel I've made my point.

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »

So yes, all you folks with the recent quoting of my post:

I like quoting.
When I was 19

80 years ago

Let me re-phrase...

I got nothing.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2010, 11:01:29 AM »

Can paint flaking into your eyes be considered a safety issue?

No.  You are supposed to wear proper eye protection Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: