Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 04:51:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666525 times)
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #420 on: March 23, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »

Look-I want to sell the bike. I won't sell it and lie about the tank issue. Most people don't want to buy a bike with what they'd consider a major flaw. So currently, it's essentially costing me money.

It's not okay, and it needs to be fixed.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #421 on: March 23, 2010, 06:18:51 PM »

It also limits the already-limited steering range.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
rockaduc

« Reply #422 on: March 23, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »

It also limits the already-limited steering range.

Exactly!!!!!  That, more than anything else is what bothers me about this.  I had to adjust my steering stops several times (before I received my replacement) b/c the tank was expanding and the controls would hit the sides.  I DON'T consider that merely a cosmetic issue.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #423 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:58 PM »

my MAIN concern is that the tank will expand so much on the bottom that the fuel pump no longer creates a good seal and just seeps gasoline onto my motor...

THIS, I absolutely agree with. And should that time come, there are a few options besides throwing away that nylon tank. The first would be to use a viton o-ring. Viton is the material that is supposed to be used for fuel systems. However viton is 2 to 4 times as costly as rubber and buna, so the cheaper materials are used instead. The next step is something that works in some industries but a solution I'm not certain is something I would sell to customers: a thick flat gasket.

Yes, once fuel is dripping, now I'll agree to there being a problem.

Well, if that's all, we are all just being silly.  You guys whose tanks are worn at least through the paint need to quit your whining, go to AutoZone, and find the closest matching touch up paint. 

...and a functional issue when the tank swells to the point where one can no longer operate the latch to raise their tank for service.  We should all disregard a major flaw and get off Ducati's back.

-Jeff

Really? That's all you've got? Then quit. It's the easiest thing to do. Just pay someone to do it for you. People who are self reliant work to find a solution. I *have* removed a tank from a Monster S2R that wouldn't open because it was smashed up against the latch and key switch. But since it's impossible, I'll stay quiet rather than tell a lie. Roll Eyes
(yes, the above paragraph is filled with, overflowing, and dripping with sarcasm)

There isn't a solution for this problem. So it is up to reasonable people to find a middle ground that is fair to everyone involved. Being ugly about the situation and putting down Ducati and their employees for trying to deliver you an exciting motorcycle doesn't help anything. And no, I'm not suggesting for you to completely not care, I just said I don't care. Gas stays in bike. Bike runs. My smile widens. World's problems minimized if even for a few moments.

And this isn't a major design flaw. Something about the situation is tricking the plastics industry. Maybe it is an additive in the fuel. Maybe it is ethanol. It doesn't matter. The solution will be from the plastics industry and won't be ready soon. And it won't be cheap enough to make motorcycle gas tanks out of anytime soon. The reason the 696/1100 series of tanks are expanding is that whatever is making nylon deform is also affecting cross linked polyethylene (PEX), which is not supposed to change shape AT ALL. I have observed deformation with PEX up to 2%.

Good times,
Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #424 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »

Look-I want to sell the bike. I won't sell it and lie about the tank issue. Most people don't want to buy a bike with what they'd consider a major flaw. So currently, it's essentially costing me money.

One workable solution is to retrofit a metal fuel tank from an EFI monster onto your bike.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #425 on: March 24, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »

Yes, once fuel is dripping, now I'll agree to there being a problem.

this is already happened on several Multi's and at least one Monster (an S2R).  the problem is not the gasket, the tank expanded such that the hole was bigger than the pump mount.  i haven't got photos up yet, but on one Multi, when the base was removed the screw holes were oblong.

none of the bikes were in use when the fuel leak was discovered.  i imagine the expansion issue is slow enough so that a normal pre-ride inspection would pick it up, however, one cannot be certain -- if you have 2-3 drops in the wrong place at the wrong time... well..

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
jgrm1

« Reply #426 on: March 24, 2010, 04:04:56 AM »

Really? That's all you've got? Then quit. It's the easiest thing to do. Just pay someone to do it for you. People who are self reliant work to find a solution.

Chris,

I appreciate your sarcasm.  It is ironic because if you knew me, you would know that I have been wrenching on bikes for over 20 years - mostly BMWs and old Triumphs.  You cannot own and enjoy old Brit bikes without being crafty and self-reliant.  Well, to your point, I suppose you can depending on the thickness of your wallet, but working on them is part of the experience.  Be careful about stereotyping.  

I recently bought my S2R1000 to ride - not to have to determine work arounds.  Before you say it, no, I did not want a Honda.  Yeah, I realize that as my tank swells to the point the latch does not work that I can unbolt the rear of the tank to remove it, but I do not think I am asking too much for features of the bike to work as intended at this stage of its life.

-Jeff
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 08:34:39 AM by jgrm1 » Logged

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #427 on: March 24, 2010, 06:19:29 AM »

Mr I does have a point about resale.

It is a flaw in the bike that someone would look negatively at and it KILLs the resale value.

The tank has swelled to the point where my clip ons wont allow me to position them and use the steering lock anymore. Not that big of deal to me again because i use a disc lock.

But how can Ducati let their own bikes' resale value drop to shit is beyond me. Thats something I didnt think about because i just plan on keeping my bike until it blows up (who should i tlak to about getting my bike lit on fire?)

Now i have to go check my fuel pump for leaks. eh i have a spare metal tank sitting on the shelf.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #428 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »

One workable solution is to retrofit a metal fuel tank from an EFI monster onto your bike.

Hey however Ducati wants to fix it is fine by me  Wink

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #429 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »

Funny. I actually like the look of the expanded tank on my bike. My only issue was having to use a screw driver to put the lash on and off and the steering lock. Other than that, I have no issues. That's mostly why I'm not pregnant doging about how long it takes them to replace it. Actually, if they take a bit longer, but actually fix the issue, then I'm going to complain even less.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
csp808

« Reply #430 on: March 24, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »

I thought the earlier models used a different fuel pump set up? When i asked ducshop about getting a carbon fiber tank like kop they showed me the carbon tank had no provision for a bolt in fuel pump.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:30:33 PM by csp808 » Logged
victor441

« Reply #431 on: March 24, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »

agree...FWIW own a steel tanked Monster that I love but is physically too small for me, want to trade up to an aircooled Multistrada but the tank issue has put that idea on hold until it is resolved with a permanent solution, have been following this thread and hoping Ducati comes through...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:43:08 PM by victor441 » Logged
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #432 on: March 24, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »

Chris,

I appreciate your sarcasm.  It is ironic because if you knew me, you would know that I have been wrenching on bikes for over 20 years - mostly BMWs and old Triumphs ... I recently bought my S2R1000 to ride - not to have to determine work arounds.  Yeah, I realize that as my tank swells to the point the latch does not work that I can unbolt the rear of the tank to remove it, but I do not think I am asking too much for features of the bike to work as intended at this stage of its life.

-Jeff

Yeah... I hear you. It sucks, but it's the reality now. Tongue pregnant doging to vent is one thing ... some of the stuff I read on here (not from you, and I don't know who from, as I don't remember names) about lawsuits and the like are more than over-the-top.

But how can Ducati let their own bikes' resale value drop to shit is beyond me. Thats something I didnt think about because i just plan on keeping my bike until it blows up (who should i tlak to about getting my bike lit on fire?)

Now i have to go check my fuel pump for leaks. eh i have a spare metal tank sitting on the shelf.

Resale value? Man, they have preferred that resale value goes down. That's how new bike sales pick up! Smiley Nothing will compare to the 999 to 1098 transition...

csp808

« Reply #433 on: March 24, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »

I don't see the correlation if a 2 year old bike is alot cheaper than the new one why would i buy the new bike. The 999 to 1098 situation had to do with the better bike being the same price as the used inferior bike.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:35:58 PM by csp808 » Logged
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #434 on: March 24, 2010, 04:16:19 PM »

I don't see the correlation if a 2 year old bike is alot cheaper than the new one why would i buy the new bike. The 999 to 1098 situation had to do with the better bike being the same price as the used inferior bike.  

the 999 is suppose to hold its own against the 1098. not sure about 1198. theres your big gap, yet 2005 999s are still shit expensive. You could get a used 1098 for just about 2-3 grand more when the 999 shows up for about 9-10grand.

I thought the earlier models used a different fuel pump set up? When i asked ducshop about getting a carbon fiber tank like kop they showed me the carbon tank had no provision for a bolt in fuel pump.

so THATS why he doesnt ride his bike..... no fuel pump...who woudda dunk.  Tongue

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: