Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 07:21:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 669522 times)
jgrm1

« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2010, 05:02:43 AM »

drain the gas, open the filler and let it sit for about 1-2 weeks.  they shrink back to size when dry.

I suppose this is good until the next time you splash gas into the tank.

actually, you may be onto something -- the pressure combined with ethanol/gas permeation could be a factor.  moreover, the venting design on the US models is unique to US (and maybe Canada) models due to CARB requirements.

it's still a plastic (flexible) tank.  enough internal pressure pushing out and you will get deformation.  add a penetrating solvent to the mix and the interior becomes even softer/more flexible and pressure can act on that to deform it.

it would explain the type of expansion that's been seen, but i don't think it would happen if it was pressure only -- that plastic should not deform so easily and is rated for pressure (but maybe only external pressure...hmm)

I considered the pinched breather line being a root cause, but doubted the Sport Classics have the same pinch point.  Maybe the do?

I took photos of my findings on my bike, but apparently cannot post them here directly from my hard drive.  I'd love to share them.

-Jeff
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:04:15 AM by jgrm1 » Logged

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2010, 05:50:25 AM »

If you send them to me I can host them.  Photobucket is also an option.  Pm me

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »

jgrm1's bike pics  - thumbnails, click for large picture

last one shows the pinched vent line.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:52:00 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:49 AM »

jgrm1's bike pics  - thumbnails, click for large picture

last one shows the pinched vent line.

<snip>
That looks like the cap area drain, not the vent.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

J.P.

« Reply #409 on: March 19, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »

I've run 2 seperate drain lines from the tank since removing the charcoal can(5/2006), mainly to avoid this kink problem. My tank is as bad as anybody's- doubt any correlation.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
jgrm1

« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:28 AM »

That looks like the cap area drain, not the vent.

Yep, you are right.  I should have paid more attention to that bright orange sticker under the tank.  The drain line should not affect pressure inside the tank.  I wonder why my tank does build pressure though.  A good place to start is pulling off that emissions canister and associated plumbing. 

-Jeff

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

Yep, you are right.  I should have paid more attention to that bright orange sticker under the tank.  The drain line should not affect pressure inside the tank.  I wonder why my tank does build pressure though.  A good place to start is pulling off that emissions canister and associated plumbing. 

-Jeff
I'd sooner think a cap problem, or the little rubber nub under the cap is blocking the hole in the cap.

If your emissions can is removed remove that black rubber piece too. It has no purpose.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

aglanixp

We are the young gods, No?

« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2010, 05:25:45 AM »

I took my 2007 S2R1000 to Battley Cycles in MD this week.  Service guy said no problem, he will start the paperwork.
While looking around I saw a 1098 with an aluminum tank! 
Made a couple of jokes with the salesperson about that tank not expanding.

Would be great to get an aluminum replacement for the monster.
not holding my breath though.

2007 S2R 1000
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2010, 08:16:50 AM »

My new tank was approved. Lets see how long it takes.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
accrocker

« Reply #414 on: March 22, 2010, 02:34:01 PM »

My tank was approved six months ago....still waiting for it to arrive. I cannot believe how slow the shipping process is. Are they hand carving the nylon tanks now??

07 monster 695, tail chop, custom flashed dp ecu (no more immobilizer!!) high mount marving megaphones, pod filters and an Acewell 4000 gauge set
muskrat

« Reply #415 on: March 22, 2010, 05:49:37 PM »

that sucks.  I got mine in two weeks.  check with another dealer just in case yours dropped the ball or call DNA.

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #416 on: March 23, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »

My tank was approved six months ago....still waiting for it to arrive. I cannot believe how slow the shipping process is. Are they hand carving the nylon tanks now??

what MY and color?

my 05 "Acid Yellow" took longer -- only year they made that color and fairly small number in the first place (<5000 made)

6 months isn't too bad.  just stay in touch with your dealer every month and ask them to double check the ETA.  ducati ships them by boat in a large shipment, and i imagine they aren't quick to make.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:35:32 PM by ducatiz » Logged

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #417 on: March 23, 2010, 01:38:25 PM »

This is a serious issue because of the fire risk if the tank were to wear all the way through and allow gasoline to spill onto my ignition wiring and hot engine.  Obviously, a fuel leak occurring while riding the motorcycle could result in a crash, injury or death, and property damage.  I also cannot lift the fuel tank as designed by Ducati to service the motorcycle.

I think the fuel tank will break the ignition switch off the frame before it "rubs through" and leaks fuel. The tanks we manufacture are crosslinked polyethylene, aka PEX, not nylon (which is far more dense). The PEX tanks we have are incredibly durable and very very strong. I would imagine nylon to be equally or more strong than what we are accustomed to.

Further, PEX seems somewhat fire-retardant. We are on the wind up to do some more testing as part of some involvement I have with another industry.

Nylon is difficult to manufacture, likely with many wasted parts. The nylon itself is about $400 per tank to purchase the raw material. Then they get painted and packaged for individual shipment, which means a minimum of 1.5 times the volume the tank occupies is now wasted on packaging. Now to ship only 100 tanks is more volume than a car. They can hire a private jet for a few $10,000 or they can put those and many more tanks in a container and drop it on a ship for a grand.

We have all become spoiled by how manufactured goods materialize out of thin air available at our slightest whim, but one cannot grow nylon tanks from thin air and have those teleported to your doorstep tomorrow (or next week or next month).

Something that really bothers me is how indignant some people are acting. Really? If putting Ducati out of business is that important to you, keep it up. Realistically, there isn't a safety problem; it's a cosmetic issue. Sure, this is a PR nightmare but imho, Ducati is doing far more for us Monster (and Sport Classic) owners than they could be.

Oh yeah, the original red tank on my 2005 S2R800 has a bulge or two and I just don't care. Nor can I be arsed to whinge to NHSTA or my dealer about it.

/rant

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
jgrm1

« Reply #418 on: March 23, 2010, 04:16:26 PM »

I think the fuel tank will break the ignition switch off the frame before it "rubs through" and leaks fuel.

Well, if that's all, we are all just being silly.  You guys whose tanks are worn at least through the paint need to quit your whining, go to AutoZone, and find the closest matching touch up paint. 

Something that really bothers me is how indignant some people are acting. Really? If putting Ducati out of business is that important to you, keep it up. Realistically, there isn't a safety problem; it's a cosmetic issue.

...and a functional issue when the tank swells to the point where one can no longer operate the latch to raise their tank for service.  We should all disregard a major flaw and get off Ducati's back.

-Jeff

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #419 on: March 23, 2010, 04:33:06 PM »

i dont know who said it was going to rub through and leak thats the most ridiculous thing ive heard. Its been several years since my tank started expanding (which goes back to 08 when i first bought it) and i havent gotten my tank replaced, i have crashed it severla times though.... I Went through the motions and couldnt get it replaced, then DNA siad to go to another dealer blah blah blah, and really i could care less for several reasons.

1) its not going to break anytime soon.
2) The swelling has given me 3/4 gallon of extra gas per fill up (wheres kopfjager to say im bull shitting cause he seems to want to do that all the time)
3) Plastic tanks are can crash several times without denting (and i find the bike or myself going latteral quite a few times to know this)

my MAIN concern is that the tank will expand so much on the bottom that the fuel pump no longer creates a good seal and just seeps gasoline onto my motor...

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: