Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:27:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666882 times)
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #390 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:34 AM »

I think it takes the factory a long time to pay up, from what I understood from a conversation I had with someone that refuses to do warranty work anymore.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #391 on: March 15, 2010, 05:10:30 AM »

I think it takes the factory a long time to pay up, from what I understood from a conversation I had with someone that refuses to do warranty work anymore.
My understanding is it gets credited to your parts account or vehicle account immediately.

The kicker is that Ducati drops the retail prices of the parts to reduce the burden.

A dealer can't, according to most franchise agreements, refuse to do warranty work. I call BS. Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #392 on: March 15, 2010, 05:12:49 AM »

He's no longer a dealer. Service and performance only. Not very high on Ducati's list, but it might be BS since the anamosity is shared.

somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #393 on: March 15, 2010, 07:38:16 AM »

I had one dealer that didn't want to deal with it at all, and another that is more than happy to take care of it.

I just called mine up btw, tank still back-ordered with an ETA (I think of leaving the factory) on April 13.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Heath

« Reply #394 on: March 16, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »

Went and picked up the bike today.  My dealer said the same thing somegirl, tank back ordered till April 13th and they did find a fix.

I will be taking my bike back once the tank comes in.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Uncle Mofo

"Must Win Track Day" Uncle Mofo Racing 2007 S4RS

« Reply #395 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »

So what's the scoop with this fix? I had my tank replaced once, and the new one is already moving closer to the ignition switch  vomit  Angry

2007 red S4Rs
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #396 on: March 17, 2010, 02:37:25 AM »

I am always interested when dealers report a fix, but the manufacturer has not. 

Just take those reports with a grain of salt. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
jgrm1

« Reply #397 on: March 17, 2010, 03:11:07 AM »

Chalk up another data point for a 2008 model.  I joined the Yahoo group and submitted my complaint on the NHTSA site.  

I wish I had read this posting a month ago.  I just bought a beautiful black 2008 S2R1000 I found with only 76 miles on consignment at a local dealer.  Everything on the bike seemed perfect until I read this post.  After work last night, I went out to the garage to inspect my tank and sure enough, she's swollen like a SOB.  The front of the tank is rubbing the ignition housing and the right side frame pad is pushed out 1/4."  

This is what I told the NHTSA:

The plastic fuel tank on my 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000 (selected Monster 696 as vehicle since S2R1000 was not an option) is swelling to the point it is rubbing against the ignition switch housing and no longer sits on the frame for proper support.  This is a serious issue because of the fire risk if the tank were to wear all the way through and allow gasoline to spill onto my ignition wiring and hot engine.  Obviously, a fuel leak occurring while riding the motorcycle could result in a crash, injury or death, and property damage.  I also cannot lift the fuel tank as designed by Ducati to service the motorcycle.  

I understand this is a problem affecting several Ducati models from 2005 to present.  My motorcycle was originally purchased in September 2008, currently has less than 700 miles on it, has not been modified , and, other than this serious defect, is in brand new condition.

I think I will hold off making a warranty claim until I know the replacement tanks are revised to prevent a reoccurrence.  Are there other weaknesses I should look for on the bike?

-Jeff
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:23:53 AM by jgrm1 » Logged

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #398 on: March 17, 2010, 03:54:36 AM »

I think I will hold off making a warranty claim until I know the replacement tanks are revised to prevent a reoccurrence.  Are there other weaknesses I should look for on the bike?

-Jeff

Jeff you should go ahead and get your bike to a dealer.  I have never heard of such a low-mileage bike having a swelling problem.  I assume it is due to the bike sitting with gas in the tank.

This board has plenty of info on your bike, I don't think there are a huge number of problems.  I know the S2R1K has a surging issue related to the exhaust sensor and there are several options for fixes, but poke around in the tech section and you'll find what you need.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #399 on: March 17, 2010, 04:10:43 AM »

I am always interested when dealers report a fix, but the manufacturer has not. 

Just take those reports with a grain of salt. 

You mean the dealer should take the info from the regional rep with a grain of salt. At the very least there will be records that you replaced your tank. This means that if it happens again, you should be able to get it replaced until they actually solve the issue.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #400 on: March 17, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »

FYI

Ducati has issued a tech bulletin which addresses the problem in SC bikes, but no mention of the problem in Monsters or MTS.  I do not know what differences there are in the tanks' material or design, but the bulletin only addresses how to deal with it on SCs.

jgrm1

« Reply #401 on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »

ducatiz,

Please post the verbiage from the bulletin for the SCs if you have access to it.

Thanks,
Jeff

Dave328

« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2010, 02:09:39 AM »

Spoke with my dealer's Svc Mgr last nite at a bike night and he didn't even bat an eye. Just said to bring it in and he'll start the paperwork. waytogo
jgrm1

« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2010, 03:18:59 AM »

I gave my (new to me) S2R1000 a closer inspection last night and noticed a relief of pressure when opening my fuel tank cap.  That struck me as odd, so I traced the breather line and tried blowing into it.  It was blocked.  

I wrestled with the tank latch, lifted the tank, and found the line was routed so it was pinched between the bottom of the tank and the electrical block.  Once the tank was lifted and the line free, I could blow through the line.  I rerouted the line, so it remained free and open.  You may consider checking yours.

I know this probably is not the root cause of my tank swelling, but having a pinched breather sure cannot help the situation.  I imagine the fuel pump will not have to work as hard now, which should free up at least 20-30 HP, right?  

Now, if the tank would shrink back down to size.

-Jeff  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:23:15 AM by jgrm1 » Logged

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2010, 04:25:51 AM »

Now, if the tank would shrink back down to size.

-Jeff 

drain the gas, open the filler and let it sit for about 1-2 weeks.  they shrink back to size when dry.

It was blocked. 

I wrestled with the tank latch, lifted the tank, and found the line was routed so it was pinched between the bottom of the tank and the electrical block.  Once the tank was lifted and the line free, I could blow through the line.  I rerouted the line, so it remained free and open.  You may consider checking yours.

actually, you may be onto something -- the pressure combined with ethanol/gas permeation could be a factor.  moreover, the venting design on the US models is unique to US (and maybe Canada) models due to CARB requirements.

it's still a plastic (flexible) tank.  enough internal pressure pushing out and you will get deformation.  add a penetrating solvent to the mix and the interior becomes even softer/more flexible and pressure can act on that to deform it.

it would explain the type of expansion that's been seen, but i don't think it would happen if it was pressure only -- that plastic should not deform so easily and is rated for pressure (but maybe only external pressure...hmm)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:29:34 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: