Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 02:12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666482 times)
Charlief

« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2010, 12:52:01 AM »

I finally got around to filing my NHTSA complaint, thanks for the reminder.

I just did mine also.... thanks for the kick in the pants email.  waytogo

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2010, 02:45:56 AM »

Toyota was pushed to do a recall because of only 100 complaints to NHTSA -- for 2 million cars!

If you have been waiting to file with NHTSA, do it now.  Ducati sells around 35,000-40,000 bikes WORLDWIDE.  Toyota sells >1 million worldwide, and ONLY 100 COMPLAINTS pushed them to do a recall!

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
J.P.

« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2010, 02:56:20 AM »

Took a tally of NHSTA complaints on Fuel Systems- tank expansions (m.y. 2005-2008)2 days ago:

For Monsters: 37

Sport Classic: 74

Multi Strata: 3

Looks like we got over 100 if we can get it together w/ the SC guys. Still no official word from Ducati that there is a problem. I'm reluctant to take my bike in for a replacement, as we may need to haul it into court in DC as evidence.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #348 on: February 04, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »

Looks like we got over 100 if we can get it together w/ the SC guys. Still no official word from Ducati that there is a problem. I'm reluctant to take my bike in for a replacement, as we may need to haul it into court in DC as evidence.

No bike needed for evidence.   There are plenty of people aware of the problem.

Let Ducati replace it, there is no reason to hold out. I believe they want to make them all right. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #349 on: February 12, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »

I have a 2005 Multistrada with this problem. I thought the reason for the increasingly tight tank-to-frame fit and the poor rear bodywork alignment was a bent frame - until I sent it to GMD Computrack in Atlanta to have the frame measured/aligned, and they spotted the real problem. I called my dealer and was told they had another MTS waiting for a back-ordered tank which is being handled as a warranty replacement, but they took my VIN and said that they would try to get my out of warranty machine on the list for a "Customer Good Will" replacement.

I'm signing up on the Yahoo group list just in case Ducati runs out of "Good Will". I was seriously committed to selling both my Ducs for a new MTS 1200 this April; now I'm on the fence.

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #350 on: February 12, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »

I'm signing up on the Yahoo group list just in case Ducati runs out of "Good Will". I was seriously committed to selling both my Ducs for a new MTS 1200 this April; now I'm on the fence.

Hi Pinocchio

The only instances of tank replacement refusals I have heard about are due to the dealer.  If you read this thread, some folks have called Ducati in Cali and been told to go to another dealer.

So far, Ducati is replacing tanks without exception.

My only concern with the replacement tanks is that several people now have reported having to get a second (and one has gotten a third) replacement tank. 

-tiz

ShiftSix

« Reply #351 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »

Yeah I have a 08 s2r1000 and had them replace one gas tank already because there was ripples in the side of the tank and that was within the first 5 months of owning it.   just noticed the other day tho when filling up the inside plastic of the gas tank liner is warped like crazy...  Huh?  so in not too long from now ill probably be looking at another gas tank...    sucks...
scduc

« Reply #352 on: February 13, 2010, 05:16:22 AM »

My concern as well. If the problem happens again, hopefully Ducati will have the problem fixed or it will be time for me to buy a new bike. The thought of selling my S2R is something that is inconceivable.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #353 on: February 13, 2010, 06:45:21 AM »

IMO (and forgive me if this has been said before), Ducati does not see this as a problem outside of markets where ethanol-blended fuels cause the problem.

Ducati Bologna is probably observing Toyota's recent misery with great apprehension at this moment. Submitting to a recall of this size could force a small company like Ducati into receivership, not just from the cost of the fix, but from damage to the brand image in the North American market. The last time the Italian government ran Ducati, the brand barely survived.

If and when we get our new tanks from Ducati NA, we would be doing the company and ourselves a favor if we coated them with epoxy tank sealants and moved on with our lives.

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #354 on: February 13, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »

If and when we get our new tanks from Ducati NA, we would be doing the company and ourselves a favor if we coated them with epoxy tank sealants and moved on with our lives.

AFAIK, there are not a lot of epoxy tank sealants designed to stick to nylon. Also, why the make the beast with two backs should I? They sold a screwed up tank-if the fix is that easy *they* can do it.

There's currently a 695 sitting in the garage that can't be ridden because the steering damper hits the tank. One can't lift up the tank, for fear of never being able to latch it again, turn the bars full over, or lock the steering. This is not acceptable for a three year old bike.

It should not be a hard concept for a manufacturer to realize that it might be a good idea to test their brandy-new-never-before-used materials with the chemicals those materials will come in contact with and check for adverse effects.

It'd be cool if they actually would issue some sort of formal notice that they will be supporting this issue, other than that, I have no interest in replacing the tank, even with a coating, and waiting to see if I have this problem again.

Should they actually replace the tank, the bike will be sold immediately after.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
victor441

« Reply #355 on: February 13, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »

The guy at DNA told me that the composition of the new tank has been altered to deal w/ the problem.   Roll Eyes
We'll see.  Since the dealer that's taking care of my tank also sells Triumphs, it might just be time for that matte black Speed Triple.

Later

yep, I'm seriously leaning that way too, was going to replace my 2003 Monster w/ a newer and bigger Ducati but the plastic tank issue (and Ducati's response to it) has killed that idea.  FWIW test rode a 2009 Speed Triple this week and liked it a LOT...AND the 2008+ models have steel tanks as Triumph evidently had some less serious plastic tank problems on the earlier bikes.  Interestingly, from what I've read Acerbis made the tanks for both, am curious what the differences are since it looks like problems are far less common on Triumphs...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:22:21 AM by victor441 » Logged
Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #356 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »

AFAIK, there are not a lot of epoxy tank sealants designed to stick to nylon. Also, why the make the beast with two backs should I? They sold a screwed up tank-if the fix is that easy *they* can do it.

There's currently a 695 sitting in the garage that can't be ridden because the steering damper hits the tank. One can't lift up the tank, for fear of never being able to latch it again, turn the bars full over, or lock the steering. This is not acceptable for a three year old bike.

It should not be a hard concept for a manufacturer to realize that it might be a good idea to test their brandy-new-never-before-used materials with the chemicals those materials will come in contact with and check for adverse effects.

It'd be cool if they actually would issue some sort of formal notice that they will be supporting this issue, other than that, I have no interest in replacing the tank, even with a coating, and waiting to see if I have this problem again.

Should they actually replace the tank, the bike will be sold immediately after.

With respect, I don't feel inclined to point the finger at Ducati. The bikes with plastic tanks have been around for quite awhile and were no doubt tested with European gasoline blends, or US pre-ethanol blends, and passed the US emissions standards, or they couldn't have been imported. Ethanol blending was mandated in the US in 2006, and was only increased to the current level of 10% in 2008. So now we are just starting to see one more of the side-effects of misguided energy policy. The other far-reaching economic effects of ethanol blending are troubling enough to my conscience for me to consider my tank swelling problem to be trivial.

yep, I'm seriously leaning that way too, was going to replace my 2003 Monster w/ a newer and bigger Ducati but the plastic tank issue (and Ducati's response to it) has killed that idea.  FWIW test rode a 2009 Speed Triple this week and liked it a LOT...AND the 2008+ models have steel tanks as Triumph evidently had some less serious plastic tank problems on the earlier bikes.
And I would never buy a Speed Triple, I already have an S4RS. When I sell it, I will buy another Duc. It may not be logical, but there it is. laughingdp

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #357 on: February 13, 2010, 04:29:06 PM »

With respect, I don't feel inclined to point the finger at Ducati. The bikes with plastic tanks have been around for quite awhile and were no doubt tested with European gasoline blends, or US pre-ethanol blends, and passed the US emissions standards, or they couldn't have been imported. Ethanol blending was mandated in the US in 2006, and was only increased to the current level of 10% in 2008.

Ethanol blend (E10) has been mandated in 11 states (which follow CARB) since the mid 80s, when MTBE was banned.  Many states required "oxygenated" gasoline during winter months and use ethanol for that purpose, and the feds have pushed for the use of Ethanol E10 since 1982 with tax benefits:

"In 1982, the Surface Transportation Assistance Act raised the gasoline excise tax from 4 cents/gallon to 9 cents/gallon and increased the exemption for 10-percent ethanol blended gas to 5 cents/gallon. In 1984, the Tax Reform Act increased the exemption again, to 6 cents/gallon. The Alternative Motor Fuels Act of 1988 created research, development and demonstration programs for both vehicles and fuels and provided fuel economy credits for automakers. In 1990, through the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, Congress extended the ethanol tax incentive from 1992 to 2000 but decreased the incentive from 6 cents/gallon to 5.4 cents/gallon."

So unless they developed the nylon/plastic in the early '70s, I highly doubt that's the reason (**If the real problem is ethanol, which I am not 100% convinced of**).  Ducati NA is based in California which has had E10 for ages, and MTBE before that, which is far more pernicious to HDPE than ethanol is.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:33:13 PM by ducatiz » Logged

smooth

« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »

I've just emailed you my updated info and pics regarding my tank. In short, my dealer denied there was a problem.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #359 on: February 15, 2010, 06:35:17 AM »

I've just emailed you my updated info and pics regarding my tank. In short, my dealer denied there was a problem.

Please give a friendly call to Ducati NA in California.  408-253-0499.  Keep your cool and just tell them what happened.  Ask to speak to someone to help you with a tank expansion problem.

A handful of people have had dealer problems.  In short, take it to another dealer.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: