Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 01:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666794 times)
cdv478

« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2009, 05:24:17 PM »

[/quote]i dont get why a dealer would do this. wouldnt it be easier to just lie and say no we wont?
[/quote]

That's what my dealer did. I thought he would be sympathetic since he owns an S2R, but he said he'd never heard of the problem and Ducati wouldn't warranty my tank. My bike was still in the 2 year warranty window at that time.

Afterward, I signed up on the list and gave all my info, filed an NHTSA complaint, and still am confident it will work out for the best. My tank is still growing. I had aspired to buy an '07-'08 S4RS, but I noticed the tank issue after I got the bike back from a 4 month vacation at a dealer that couldn't figure out it had a bad wiring harness. The tank problem presented itself at 11,700 miles and 23 months from delivery.

My trust in not only the dealer but DNA has been destroyed, but I was able to fix the underlying problems I'd encounter with an S4RS by buying a new KTM Super Duke R instead. All Ducati would have had to do was fix my tank and I'd have bought a leftover new S4RS. Instead, I'm impressed with how I've been treated by KTM, and the SDR is amazingly fun, so it's worked out very nicely.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:20 PM »

That sounds like a pretty bad example. I hope my situation isnt like yours...

in a lighter note, i filled up 3.4gallons today. Whats that say about how expanded my tank is?

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
cduarte

« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »

i dont get why a dealer would do this. wouldnt it be easier to just lie and say no we wont?

That's what my dealer did. I thought he would be sympathetic since he owns an S2R, but he said he'd never heard of the problem and Ducati wouldn't warranty my tank. My bike was still in the 2 year warranty window at that time.

Afterward, I signed up on the list and gave all my info, filed an NHTSA complaint, and still am confident it will work out for the best. My tank is still growing. I had aspired to buy an '07-'08 S4RS, but I noticed the tank issue after I got the bike back from a 4 month vacation at a dealer that couldn't figure out it had a bad wiring harness. The tank problem presented itself at 11,700 miles and 23 months from delivery.

My trust in not only the dealer but DNA has been destroyed, but I was able to fix the underlying problems I'd encounter with an S4RS by buying a new KTM Super Duke R instead. All Ducati would have had to do was fix my tank and I'd have bought a leftover new S4RS. Instead, I'm impressed with how I've been treated by KTM, and the SDR is amazingly fun, so it's worked out very nicely.

I'd go to another dealership. I went to one that I'd never been to before, and they took great care of me. I bought my bike used, and had never had any contact with this dealership before, and again, I got my tank in 10 days.

build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »

Looks like i probably wont get  a new color tank, a new tank , anything. lol

I will try to get a response from someone in DNA about your request but I don't think that they will do that, but hey it doesn't hurt to ask.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
DCXCV

« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2009, 01:30:45 PM »

Looks like i probably wont get  a new color tank, a new tank , anything. lol

Are there any other dealers close enough that can help you?  Your situation sounds like just dealer BS - blaming DNA is just their scapegoat.  DNA and my dealer came through with my tank (and quite a few others here) in less than a month (during the time you have been waiting). 

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »

There are. But if its submitted at one place, the other place would know wouldnt they?

cduarte

« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »

There are. But if its submitted at one place, the other place would know wouldnt they?

why would that matter? You're the customer.

build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2009, 04:00:37 PM »

why would that matter? You're the customer.

because the warranty request "was" already been submited....

DCXCV

« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2009, 06:22:09 AM »

because the warranty request "was" already been submited....

Doesn't hurt to ask again.  All they can do is say no.  Worth at least a call to another shop to explain the situation and bad service and ask if they can do anything and maybe gain a new customer in the process.

"I tend to ride faster when I can't see where I'm going. Everything works out better that way." -- Colin Edwards
Nekkid Tim

« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:31 AM »

Update:   Yesterday I picked up my bike from DucPond with the replacement tank installed.  There is once again space between the tank and the handlebar switchgear and the ignition lock.

For how long, who knows?Huh?

Tm

Ducati DS1000SS track bike crashed 9/19/16, Ducati DS1000SS Roadster conversion street bike, 2000 Harley FXDX Super Glide Sport, 2006 Harley FLHXI Street Glide, 1967 Honda CL-90 Scrambler
Greg

« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »

I finally get around to visiting the dealer today and here is how it goes. First off, as I pull up I"m not getting a good feeling as normally there are quite a few Ducs parked outside, but all I see is a single older model red Monster. Outside are parked all kinds of used sports cars, ranging from a Delorean to Vipers and Porsches. Inside it gets worse, where normally there are lots of new Ducs on display, as well as MV Augustas and other bikes, there is now not a single bike to be seen. Instead there are more used cars, some very nice models including a Ferrari. The counter man who has seen me drive up, steps up to the counter to assist me...

Counter man: Hi there, how can I help you.

Me: Uhh... you still service Ducati's right?

Counter man: Yeah sure, the used car guys took over the show room though. Can I help you?

Me: Yeah I'm having trouble with my gas
tank, it seems to have expanded, have you heard of anything like that before?

Counter man: Oh yeah the gas tanks are a warranty item, I'll go ahead and order you one.

Me: Uhh... OK.... Thanks

He didn't even go outside and look at the bike, just took the VIN # and address off my insurance card and asked for a contact number and said they would call me in about a week.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Blake

« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »

Thanks for the pics Ducatiz...I decided to look at mine right now and it has all three conditions that you showed in your pics.
I just signed up, hopefully I can still get it rectified.  I never really noticed anything except the rubber bushings hung over the frame tubes way too far.  I figured it was normal. 

Later

p.s.  It's an '05 S2R 800, red w/ white stripe, 15k miles.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2009, 11:48:35 AM »

Let us know if you get a red tank... im still waiting for mine. its been 4 months.

Charlief

« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »

WOW...

I don't know why I never read this thread.  I quickly scanned it and ran out to the garage.  My tank shows all the signs.  The latch is right up against the ignition/the bottom frame bumpers are 1/2" past the frame!

My bike is an 05 with about 6K miles

I'll call my dealer tomorrow and see what can be done.

Blake

« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »

You've been waiting four months for a red tank?Huh??  Have they explained why it's taking so long? 
Truth be told I'm really ready to trade it in for an FZ1.  My commute is making the Monster less fun.
I guess if Ducati puts me on the back burner then I won't be too worried since I'm looking to make a trade
fairly soon.

Later
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: