Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 01:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666641 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »

WEll it looks like i got myself a new tank, its slated for late august, since well. its august and its italy.  Smiley

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
rockaduc

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »

Just filled out the online form.  waytogo

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Qwack

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2009, 03:07:22 AM »

Just noticed problems this weekend, contacting dealership today to see when they can take a look at the bike and put a claim in for me.  Its still under warranty. so I shouldn't have any trouble...

Will sign up later today...Thanks for doing this 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:50:33 AM by Qwack » Logged

scduc

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2009, 04:55:23 PM »

Ive had my bike for a little over a year now, and I have to say I was sceptical about any issues with the tanks. Until now, as I am starting to look over the bike and see what I can do to clean up the rats nest of hoses and wires, I notice that my tank, right side in front of the knee indents, looks like its starting to bubble. I will notify my dealer next week when I take it in for the 7k service. What exactly do you do to sign up? Also, what about the aftermarket fuel caps? Will these cause warranty issues?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:08:18 PM by scduc » Logged

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2009, 04:39:03 AM »

Ive had my bike for a little over a year now, and I have to say I was sceptical about any issues with the tanks. Until now, as I am starting to look over the bike and see what I can do to clean up the rats nest of hoses and wires, I notice that my tank, right side in front of the knee indents, looks like its starting to bubble. I will notify my dealer next week when I take it in for the 7k service. What exactly do you do to sign up? Also, what about the aftermarket fuel caps? Will these cause warranty issues?

Read the first post for the entire explanation of what I am trying to do and the sign up list link:

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=25074

In Short, I am getting as many folks as possible to put together a polite demand letter to Ducati to fix the tank problems permanently and to warranty the replacement tanks.

Secondly, everyone needs to file a NHTSA report so that this can be tracked officially.  The more that people report it, the more pressure will be put on Ducati to fix the problem.

I just feel bad for the Euro/UK riders who will be screwed when Europe introduces E5 and E10 gasoline in the next few years.  They will have a 2-3 year "Sword of Damocles" over them.  I don't know what recourse they will have by then.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:42:27 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »

I've got an appt with Nathan at DucPond on Wednesday.  We will see if I can get it warrantied.  I sent him some pics of the swelling and he said it is one of the worst he has seen.  I'll file with the feds shortly thereafter.

Thanks again Ducatiz. waytogo

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »

I've got an appt with Nathan at DucPond on Wednesday.  We will see if I can get it warrantied.  I sent him some pics of the swelling and he said it is one of the worst he has seen.  I'll file with the feds shortly thereafter.

Thanks again Ducatiz. waytogo

Angler, what mods do you have on your bike, engine-wise?  I am curious what they are looking for/at when they look at the tanks.

Also, please post your pics? (or email them to me and I'll post)

thanks

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Qwack

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »

Hubby took bike to Dealership Tuesday, they filed with DNA and THursday we got word that DNA will replace my tank  waytogo  I took a pix of the spacing or rather lack of spacing of the tank to the Key the dimpling on the sides was too hard to get photos of.  I will send you the pix if you need it.  off to sign up on the yahoo list and the national list too.  thanks for everything DUCATIZ...

BTW: dealership had told me that Triumph had had these problems and they switched back to metal tanks...gee wouldn't that be nice if Ducati would just do that too  Smiley

angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2009, 10:21:02 AM »

Angler, what mods do you have on your bike, engine-wise?  I am curious what they are looking for/at when they look at the tanks.

Also, please post your pics? (or email them to me and I'll post)

thanks

I have no vapor system and boomtubes.  Those are really the only mods that might make a difference.

Nathan said that he needed to take pictures of the bike and take measurements himself.  I also need a TPS check/reset since installing the exhaust, so it worked out.  At first when he said just to email him some pics, I thought I might get lucky and get an answer without having to ride out there as it is a haul.

Here are a few pictures

Area on tank where the key/latch area has rubber through the paint and is now rubbing through the tank:

Right side ripples and bubbles. Oddly there are no ripples on the left side:

Right side ripples II:

Right side bumper:

Left side bumper:

Cracks/blisters around filler:

Bump on tank:

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
J.P.

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »

Wow- that's horrible! I'd file w/ the feds right now, Your 5 year emissions warrenty is up next year.
Guess that's what the US '06 owners have in store in about a year?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:26:27 AM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2009, 10:54:59 AM »

pretty much. Theres a email going around tahts been trying to get people to sign up so ducatiz can submit the email. but for some reason, people are too lazy to check it. Im sure you guys either have him on block by accident, or are just ignoring it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE submit your name and VIN. Just because Ducati will replace it once, does not mean it will not swell again.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
J.P.

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »

NHTSA complaints filed.

Looks like only 2 more for 2005's
2 more for 2007 since my last tally 2 weeks ago.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:53:25 AM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
slipperymike

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »

Filed mine. Also replied to the email with my required info. Hopefully I'll be able to get down to the dealer soon to have them take a look. Is it neccessary to make an appointment? I've never been to my dealer (motocorsa).

Thanks for everything!
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2009, 03:20:17 AM »

Just call them.  The initial lookover will just be an exam and photos.  Mine didn't need an appt

extra330

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »

how do you search for complaints without the ODI number? The only ODI I have is for my complaint so that's the only one I can see.. It's not the easiest website to nav.

NHTSA complaints filed.

Looks like only 2 more for 2005's
2 more for 2007 since my last tally 2 weeks ago.

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: