Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:02:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666560 times)
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »

I pointed out the problem to the guys at Indianapolis Ducati last Saturday. Service manager took pics and measurments. Got a call today my tank will be replaced. 

Sweet Grin
Greg

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »

Just signed up as well.

Thanks for setting this up

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »

Just make sure when you've signed up to the Yahoo group that you reply to the automated email with your info.  I have an Excel list with everyone's contact info and bike info that I'll be sending to DNA.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Nekkid Tim

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 07:06:43 AM »

I'm on the list, thanks.  Sent my info in.

My S4Rs is now up at MikMar Motor Service (where I bought it) for some unrelated work, but I mentioned the problem to Mike Duzick (MikMar owner and former franchised Ducati dealer; now independent) and he told me to take it to a currently franchised dealer to record an emissions-related warranty claim.

I was up at DucPond picking up my 1000SS track bike on Saturday and mentioned the Monster fuel tank issue to Donnie Unger, and he said to bring the bike in, that Ducati is getting "more responsive" wrt the issue.

Of course, as others have pointed out, if you get a replacment tank under warranty and it was made the exact same way of the exact same materials, won't the problem simply crop up again in a year or two?

My opinion is that Ducati ought to commission a production run of steel tanks to replace the problematical plastic items.

Ducati DS1000SS track bike crashed 9/19/16, Ducati DS1000SS Roadster conversion street bike, 2000 Harley FXDX Super Glide Sport, 2006 Harley FLHXI Street Glide, 1967 Honda CL-90 Scrambler
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 07:37:36 AM »

My opinion is that Ducati ought to commission a production run of steel tanks to replace the problematical plastic items.

I think that would be nice, but unreasonable considering it would be exorbitantly expensive.

More likely, use the same rotomold with correct materials.  There is no proof, but I bet the problem is ethanol in US gasoline and it would be much easier to figure out how to re-make the tanks with alcohol-resistant nylon/plastic/whathaveu..

that being said, it's only my opinion that is the problem with the tanks.  i have talked with multiple folks in UK and Europe and no one has heard or seen the problem there.  Ethanol is not currently used in gasoline there, but will be rolled out in the next few years.  I imagine they will have a similar problem then.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:50:57 AM by ducatiz-e » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »

This is awesome. Got the email and going to head out to the dealer on friday to ask them about it...and buy a clutch. hopefully throwing some money their way might persuade them to take a look at it. if not then, ill theres no more dealers local enough to get them to check it out.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
extra330

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 03:18:37 PM »

Went to the dealer today and reported the problem with my S4RS. It took all of two minutes and the guy was out taking pictures of the tank. They made note of the ripples as well as what looks like a blister (very small) Shocked. The dealer ask that I call Ducati and report the problem directly to them and to let them know what dealer looked at the bike.  I'll call them tomorrow but I'm sure it wil be wasted phone call. If this gets covered I'll be shocked.

Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
J.P.

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »

What? the dealer made you call?
slack.
Besides- we don't want the same batch of tanks, that'll just start deforming when the 5 yr. emissions warrenty is up.
I'm following Mr. Ducatiz-e's advice in this matter.
Already documented and denied through the dealer, that's enough silly kid games for me.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Nekkid Tim

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »

I think that would be nice, but unreasonable considering it would be exorbitantly expensive.

Not sure why it would be exorbitantly expensive.  Expensive, sure, but why would it be much more expensive than making additional plastic tanks?  Steel tank technology is not new, certainly not new to Ducati (my 1966 250 Mach 1 and my 1973 750GT both had nicely made steel tanks that worked well for many years) and they've even made steel Monster tanks before.  Just need to stamp out a different tank bottom for each airbox variation (what are there, three or four?) and paint them.

Ducati DS1000SS track bike crashed 9/19/16, Ducati DS1000SS Roadster conversion street bike, 2000 Harley FXDX Super Glide Sport, 2006 Harley FLHXI Street Glide, 1967 Honda CL-90 Scrambler
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 04:44:01 PM »

Not sure why it would be exorbitantly expensive.  Expensive, sure, but why would it be much more expensive than making additional plastic tanks?  Steel tank technology is not new, certainly not new to Ducati (my 1966 250 Mach 1 and my 1973 750GT both had nicely made steel tanks that worked well for many years) and they've even made steel Monster tanks before.  Just need to stamp out a different tank bottom for each airbox variation (what are there, three or four?) and paint them.

They would have to have the molds made (one cost) and then get them EURO & DOT/EPA/NHTSA certified.  It would require a redesign of the pump and interior.   You can't just slap some sheet metal on and go.  The S2R tank is very different from the M900, etc.

Using the current plastic rotomolds, they have no setup or certification costs, just material and labor to remake tanks with better material. 

Far far far cheaper to remake plastic tanks.

Itsasickness
Old Soul but....

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »

Just signed up as well. Thanks for doing this

It's been real, it's been fun, it's been real fun!
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:26 PM »

UPDATE I spoke with a dealer today. They were MUCH more helpful then I thought. Especially since i got a no from a different dealer that was suppose to be much friendlier.

Anyway, They said, normally spekaing it would be plausible if the bike was under warranty, but since im about 7 months out, they are not sure if it would count as emissions warranty because the tank is still usable.

I have to email the main tech guy tomorrow and send him pics plus my vin number etc etc.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 03:09:20 PM by He Man » Logged

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
J.P.

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:39 AM »

Complaint submitted to NHTSA.
Took only 5 min.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
extra330

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »

This afternoon I spoke with the dealer and got the news.......  A new tank is has been authorized by ducati for my 07 S4RS waytogo. They covered the tank under the 5 year emissions warranty since the standard warranty expired last August.  After the new tank has been installed and I have copies of all the paper work I plan to file with the NTSB.. My guess is this time next year, or sooner the new tank will be just like this one.

I'm waiting for something to go wrong because getting a new tank from Ducati has been too easy. maybe I sould've waited until I had the tank in my hands before posting this..  laughingdp

Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2009, 02:25:36 PM »

lol, nice! did u get to pick a new color? :p, i bought my 06 in 07 and it was swollen already. you can only hope u can get by a few months without it swelliing!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: