Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:14:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666575 times)
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #825 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »

It is specific to each vehicle, I don't know if it is by type, but if you look in your owner's manual, Ducati states it is.

I looked up my nissan warranty book, and it pretty much lines up with the EPA page I linked and quoted.  The only parts covered by the extended emission warranty are considered major, and is the ecu, cat converter, and the on board diagnostic computer.

mitt

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #826 on: September 15, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »

I looked up my nissan warranty book, and it pretty much lines up with the EPA page I linked and quoted.  The only parts covered by the extended emission warranty are considered major, and is the ecu, cat converter, and the on board diagnostic computer.

mitt

the EPA page probably specifies a minimum then.  manufacturers are free to add.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Kurt V

« Reply #827 on: September 16, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »

I skimmed the 56 pages on this problem and didn't see this posted, maybe I just missed it. Anyways I have a 2009 696, purchased new in June 2009. Presently have 1500 miles on it. Last week it started leaking fuel. A pretty steady drip. I pull the tank and see gas all over the rear bottom of the tank. Trailer it up to the Ducati dealer. They call me yesterday and tell me the tank is deformed around where the fuel pump connects. Then they ask me if I tried to seal it myself as there was some type of white sealer around the fuel pump connection. I told them no as I only looked to see where the leak was from. They then tell me as it is not important as the tank is deformed around where the fuel pump connects and that they will be replacing my tank and a new fuel pump seal. Told me the tank is $1000 and will take two weeks to get in! Fortunately it is covered under warranty and they are replacing it for free.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:49:50 AM by Kurt V » Logged
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #828 on: September 16, 2010, 03:50:21 AM »

I know a guy with a multi that is leaking from the pump flange too...

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #829 on: September 16, 2010, 03:59:46 AM »

I skimmed the 56 pages on this problem and didn't see this posted, maybe I just missed it. Anyways I have a 2009 696, purchased new in June 2009. Presently have 1500 miles on it. Last week it started leaking fuel. A pretty steady drip. I pull the tank and see gas all over the rear bottom of the tank. Trailer it up to the Ducati dealer. They call me yesterday and tell me the tank is deformed around where the fuel pump connects. Then they ask me if I tried to seal it myself as there was some type of white sealer around the fuel pump connection. I told them no as I only looked to see where the leak was from. They then tell me as it is not important as the tank is deformed around where the fuel pump connects and that they will be replacing my tank and a new fuel pump seal. Told me the tank is $1000 and will take two weeks to get in!

That should be a warranty repair.

DO NOT PAY THEM TO FIX THE TANK.  You need to push them on it, call Ducati in Cali and talk to someone in customer service.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Kurt V

« Reply #830 on: September 16, 2010, 04:52:05 AM »

That should be a warranty repair.
DO NOT PAY THEM TO FIX THE TANK.  You need to push them on it, call Ducati in Cali and talk to someone in customer service.

Sorry I should have been clearer. They are covering it under warranty.
jgrm1

« Reply #831 on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:54 AM »

With my old Triumph’s steel petrol tank, I always parked it full of fuel to prevent corrosion forming inside the tank.  After replacing the sender plate on my BMW after seeing how corroded it was, I wondered whether it is better to now park that bike full or low on fuel if it will sit for a week or so.  Now, after having the fuel tank on my Ducati replaced because of swelling (apparently) caused by today’s ethanol laced fuel, I started parking that bike without filling up to try to reduce exposing the tank to whatever in the fuel is causing it to swell.  What are you doing?  Parking full or low on fuel?  Does it matter?

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #832 on: September 22, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »

With my old Triumph’s steel petrol tank, I always parked it full of fuel to prevent corrosion forming inside the tank.  After replacing the sender plate on my BMW after seeing how corroded it was, I wondered whether it is better to now park that bike full or low on fuel if it will sit for a week or so.  Now, after having the fuel tank on my Ducati replaced because of swelling (apparently) caused by today’s ethanol laced fuel, I started parking that bike without filling up to try to reduce exposing the tank to whatever in the fuel is causing it to swell.  What are you doing?  Parking full or low on fuel?  Does it matter?

-Jeff

what matters more is keeping the fuel from phase separation.  that means cycling it frequently, draining the tank, or using some kind of additive like Startron or Stabil. 

also, heat.  once the fuel separates, heat accelerates the absorption of water into the tank walls.

jgrm1

« Reply #833 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »

once the fuel separates, heat accelerates the absorption of water into the tank walls.

I'm screwed then living in hot and humid East Texas.  I'll just enjoy the heck out of the bike until this tank bloats beyond servicable limits, then figure out what to do.

-Jeff

BMW:  2016 R1200RS, 2000 R1100S, 1975 R90S
Ducati:  2008 S2R1000, 1998 900 Supersport Final Edition
Norton:  1974 Commando 850
Triumph:  2016 Thruxton R, 1971 T120R
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #834 on: September 22, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »

Use stabil marine and run it til near empty before filling up.  If you store it, drain it and put one of those milsuro desiccant bags in the filler.

Good luck.

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #835 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »

Also look into getting it coated.  That will stop it.

mjk778

« Reply #836 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »

Just signed up to the yahoo group.  06 S2r1000.  Although not a bad as some of the others on here, I am def experiencing similar issues.  Ducati SOHO told me that after time the tank will stop expanding??  They also told me nothing can be done unless fuel is leaking.  Appreciate you taking on this cause and will offer any upport necesary.

Mike
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #837 on: September 22, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »

Just signed up to the yahoo group.  06 S2r1000.  Although not a bad as some of the others on here, I am def experiencing similar issues.  Ducati SOHO told me that after time the tank will stop expanding??  They also told me nothing can be done unless fuel is leaking.  Appreciate you taking on this cause and will offer any upport necesary.

Mike

You are the 3rd or 4th person sold that line of BS from Ducati Soho. 

Ducati NA is replacing every tank that is showing deformation.  There is no "fuel must be leaking" rule, and I have that in an email directly from DNA.  Take it to another dealer, and with it, the rest of your business.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:00:32 PM by ducatiz » Logged

rockaduc

« Reply #838 on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:42 PM »

Mike
Duc SOHO really sucks.

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
psycledelic

« Reply #839 on: September 23, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »

I'm late to the party, but had my tank inspected at Ducati of Charlotte yesterday.  They ordered a warrantied replacement without question or hassle.  I assume it will be prone to the same defect though.  I signed up via email earlier this morning. 

06 S2R800 - the wife                         Dolph
04 999s - the mistress
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: