Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 191   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic Tank problems: Discussion thread, see info thread sticky for updates  (Read 666576 times)
Nekkid Tim

« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »

yep, I'm seriously leaning that way too, was going to replace my 2003 Monster w/ a newer and bigger Ducati but the plastic tank issue (and Ducati's response to it) has killed that idea.  FWIW test rode a 2009 Speed Triple this week and liked it a LOT...AND the 2008+ models have steel tanks as Triumph evidently had some less serious plastic tank problems on the earlier bikes.  Interestingly, from what I've read Acerbis made the tanks for both, am curious what the differences are since it looks like problems are far less common on Triumphs...

I have a 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 955i in my garage right now that has the 1997 T509 bodywork on it from my original Speed Triple.  Nylon tank.  13+ years old, plenty of ethanol-spiked gas, looks and fits fine.   The 955i bodywork that was sold with the '97 Speed Triple was *also* perfect at the time it was sold.

Ducati DS1000SS track bike crashed 9/19/16, Ducati DS1000SS Roadster conversion street bike, 2000 Harley FXDX Super Glide Sport, 2006 Harley FLHXI Street Glide, 1967 Honda CL-90 Scrambler
victor441

« Reply #361 on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »

I have a 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 955i in my garage right now that has the 1997 T509 bodywork on it from my original Speed Triple.  Nylon tank.  13+ years old, plenty of ethanol-spiked gas, looks and fits fine.   The 955i bodywork that was sold with the '97 Speed Triple was *also* perfect at the time it was sold.

That jibes with what I've read, there have been some isolated problems w/ Triumph plastic tanks, but nothing like Ducati...am curious why the difference (materials? design??) as both were supposedly made by Acerbis...also would be interesting to know why Triumph switched to steel two years ago. 
vesparex

« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »

Evening everyone,

My 2007 S4Rs is in for her 22,500 service and I too have the deformed fuel tank. First noticed in early Dec while lifting the tank to check the air filter. Tank was butted up against my ignition switch. Then, once opened, could not latch. Dealer has not seen this issue themselves. I have left a voice message for a rep at DNA, ext 4404. Used to be Mike Norman but I do not believe he is there anymore.

Then I google and found this thread. I joined the yahoo group and took the survey and filled out the requested info for the yahoo moderator.

I also searched NHSTA. Found something about water pump impeller.

So thats it for now.

Duane

2007 S4Rs
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #363 on: February 26, 2010, 02:28:52 AM »

Then I google and found this thread. I joined the yahoo group and took the survey and filled out the requested info for the yahoo moderator.

Glad you found this website, there's a lot more on here than just the tank problem thread!

If you haven't read the whole thread, so far, Ducati is being good about replacing every tank that comes in, regardless of the mileage limitations on the warranties.  They need to do an official recall, though.  If you have a problem with your dealer, call Ducati (you already have it seems) and/or take it to another place if you can. 

They need to a recall though.  This is going to affect the future value of the bikes if they don't do a recall.  It's not like they can sweep this under the rug.   Too many people are talking about it this time.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
vesparex

« Reply #364 on: February 27, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »

Got ahold of TJ at DNA Fri afternoon. He acknowledged that this is a known issue and asked that I instruct my dealer to call their regional Duc rep. So I called and they are. So fingers crossed.  My bike is high in milage. Over 24,000. But has never been down. Not modified except running sans cans. Only udder and snazzy turned out tips (made from the OE pipe so stainless matches!). No stickers or after market paint on the tank. So hopefully this goes smoothly and I get a replacement tank (that won't warp in 3-4 years too).

Duane
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »

My local dealer told me that Ducati is supposed to come out with a better tank that will not have the same issues in March. From what they said, the current batch that they've been sending are basically the same tank, so the issue would simply reappear eventually. I put in the claim to have the papaer work done before the 5 year deadline, but I probably won't see a tank until April or May. I don't know if this was already discussed, I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, but keep this in mind when you go to the dealer.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2010, 05:56:06 AM »

My local dealer told me that Ducati is supposed to come out with a better tank that will not have the same issues in March.

what is his source?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:47 AM »

I can call him today, but I think they're closed on Mondays. I'll check and let you know.

duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #368 on: March 01, 2010, 06:03:16 AM »

Closed today. I'll try to remember for tomorrow.

rockaduc

« Reply #369 on: March 01, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »

My local dealer told me that Ducati is supposed to come out with a better tank that will not have the same issues in March. From what they said, the current batch that they've been sending are basically the same tank, so the issue would simply reappear eventually. I put in the claim to have the papaer work done before the 5 year deadline, but I probably won't see a tank until April or May. I don't know if this was already discussed, I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, but keep this in mind when you go to the dealer.

This would be great if it turns out to be true

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you.  If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #370 on: March 01, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

That's exactly why the dealer asked me to wait until March. Why replace the thing if it's just going to happen again?

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »

oh snap!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Duckintime

« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2010, 08:18:56 PM »

That's exactly why the dealer asked me to wait until March. Why replace the thing if it's just going to happen again?
man I dont know if your dealer is telling you all the story. I doubt its going to be any better or worse then the tanks on there. What about the ones they already replaced? Dunno, but I doubt Duc is going to put much effort into a bike thats discontinued for a tank that may warp in 4 years. BTW, I finally submitted my NHTSA complaint
 popcorn                                  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:42:34 PM by Duckintime » Logged
lazarus7

« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »

hey, been a while....
took the 696 in for some issues and discovered that its tank has expanded,
and in talking to the mechanic realized that my 07 s4rs has, as well, the tank is butted completely up against the ignition switch
and unable to be unlatched...
dearlership/ parts stated that they had had some others as well and had ordered warranty replacement tanks in december
before christmas, with no deliveries as of yet...
have to take the s4rs up there for a eyes on to ensure that this is in fact my problem, but it certainly seems to be the case...
and again,
my 2006 triumph speed triple, just returned from its 12,000 mile service, has had zero issues with tank deformation...
dunno....Sad
so, BOTH my monsters have this same tank deformation issue....
Sad
but the dealership seemed certain that they would both be replaced under warranty....
Euro Cycles Tampa Bay  www.bmwrides.com
good guys there, zero complaints or issues, ever.

"...the greatest artists indulge in a 'culpable rivalry' with God."     Stanislas Fumet
lazarus7

« Reply #374 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »

rode the RS up to eurocycles today (nice ride...!!! Evil)
yup, its tank is deformed as well....
both the 696 and the s4rs have warranty replacement tanks on order,
no questions asked...

as an aside, the service writer (jeff) told me that ducati has to reimburse the dealership parts department
for the RETAIL cost of every replacement tank,
to the tune of something like $1800-2400 USD....
call it $2000 per tank.
damn....!

he also told me that the 696 tank, already in motion, would probably have a delivery date of april at the earliest....
....just  some more data for everyone to chew on......

"...the greatest artists indulge in a 'culpable rivalry' with God."     Stanislas Fumet
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 191   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: