Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:02:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Wrap forks in vinyl.  (Read 41415 times)
theducatikid

« on: May 30, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »

This is a fairly simple mod that I think looks really cool, it just takes a little patients.

Please note, I didn't take pics while I was actually doing this so you'll have to use your imagination but here's the basic idea.

You will need:

-Vinyl (I used Avery A9 Flat Black)
-Heat gun (a hair dryer would probably work)
-Razor blade or Exacto knife and a straight edge

First, measure the diameter and length of your forks above and below the lower triple clamp.

Next, mark out the vinyl for cutting.

Then cut it.

I pealed the backing off and cut a small strip with scissors to give myself something to grab on to while applying it.

Next, remove the front wheel and head light.  This isn't necessary, but makes it a whole lot easier.  Basically the more room around the forks you make the easier it is.

Then, get a section started around the back of the forks where you can hide the seam.  Make sure it is as vertically straight as possible otherwise it will be misaligned as you wrap it creating a gap at the top or bottom.

This is the tricky part.  Get a buddy to warm the vinyl with the heat gun just a bit to make it supple enoegh to work it onto the forks.  This will help getting it to conform to the shape of the fork, just be careful not to heat and stretch it too much.

So...while holding the vinyl with one hand, start smoothing it out with your other hand, like this:

Continue this all the way around until your done.  If you get air bubbles or wrinkles, simply peal that area back and re-apply.

Good luck!

Scotzman
Now that's thinking with your

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »

Cool write up! It looks easier than imagined, but I'm sure it can still be bang head

"Get your haggis right here. Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach.
Tastes as good as it sounds. Good for what ales you."
w7ck7d

The DUCtOr

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »

great job.. waytogo

09' 696 Black
94' BRONCO 5.8 EB
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 05:31:37 AM »

Awesome write up!  thanks! =D

"Do something each day that scares you..."
jskillz411

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »

i will def try it this week ! thx  [moto]
BastrdHK

Quit complaining, and ride the damn thing!

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:10:32 AM »

waytogo On the write up......it turned out great.  Patience is the key ingredient!  I would like to add a thing or two if you don't mind.

- A hair dryer can be substituted for a heat gun....b/c it that's what it is.  Use on low to medium heat and DO NOT   
  STRETCH THE VINYL.  It causes problems during install, and after exposure to the elements stretched vinyl will try
  to return to its original state causing cracks/peeling. 

- Use a credit card or applicator to smooth the vinyl.  You won't always be able to do this, but it makes it easier to
  eliminate bubbles and wrinkles.

- Wrap the forks counter clockwise which leaves the exposed edge of the vinyl facing away from wind and debris.

I look forward to seeing more bikes with this mod!

- Will

M-ROCin' it!!!
minnesotamonster

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »

Nice write up  waytogo

How much vinyl did you order and where did you order it from?

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
BastrdHK

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:49:52 PM »

I happen to have the Avery A9 flat black in stock.  I have measured ('01 m900) 7.5" between both the top and bottom triple and from the bottom triple to the end of the fork tube.  Flanman recently ordered the same material, but he said his S2R 800 forks were longer from the bottom triple to the end of the fork tube (9").  Measure yours to be sure.  The fork diameter for 50mm/54mm Monster forks is approx. 9".  I can send any combination of 8"x10" or 10"x10" panels to you.  I can also cut the vinyl to any other dimension you need, upon request.

Avery A9 Flat Black - $6 per sheet shipped.

Let me know,

- Will

M-ROCin' it!!!
Bladecutter

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 08:19:14 PM »

I hate to ask, but what happens if you need to remove the forks for servicing later on down the road?
Can the forks tubes slide through the triple clamps with the vinyl intact, or will you have to remove it first, and then reinstall it again after you replace the forks?

BC.
BastrdHK

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »

The latter, unfortunately.  Although, I have never had to remove my forks.  As I understand it, the clearance is so tight it would scuff/tear the vinyl, and make it a pain in the ass to get the forks out.  I would try lubing the triples and vinyl with soapy water to see if it would work.  The soapy water would evaporate leaving a solid area for the triples to clamp and hold once reinstalled.  Stay away from oils and grease!

The idea behind the vinyl vs anodizing or powder coating is that its cheap to replace and easily removed if need be.  If your very careful during removal and apply the vinyl to waxed paper you may be able to reuse it.  Make sure you keep dust and dirt off of the adhesive backing, and use rubber gloves to prevent the oils from your fingers causing a loss of adhesion.

M-ROCin' it!!!
mediaguy

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »

Awesome! 

I am suprised I didn't think of this myself!

I have a bunch of 3M 180 but need to get some matte lam since most of the wraps we do are glossy ... on second thought .. we might have the 180 in matte already ... time to throw some in the Mimaki and try it out!  I wonder if I can match the Ohlins gold?   Grin 

Have you tried with a calendered film?  I have a ton of matte lam but it's not cast ... it's Oracal 210 I think.
Xiphias
'06 S2R800 - Black/Tang (sold); '07 CBR600RR - Red. '09 R1 (Stolen).

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:02:28 PM »

That looks really nice.

Hi-ho-hi-ho....its off to the track I go.................
filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »

Wow.

This is a nice idea and really looks good on your Dark.

I might give it a try.  Nice write up too.

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »

Just wrapped mine looks great .
To make it easier what I did was loosened the bolts holding the fork in the clamps(one fork at a time)
then rotated the fork as I was applied the vinyl ,this makes is easier than removing the headlight and wheel and working it around behind.
Measure the gaps to return the fork to the original length.
Tighten the fork after rotating the seam to the inside then start on the other side .

An added bonus is that you can hide any creases easily , the vinyl needs to be stretched to contour the shoulder where the forks change in diameter I found it impossible not to get a few at the end of the wrap so just turned the offending spot to the inside  waytogo
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:03:23 PM by dezmonster » Logged
BastrdHK

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 05:32:48 AM »

Great idea!....now where are the pics  popcorn

M-ROCin' it!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: