Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 07:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6000 mile service ducati 749  (Read 19044 times)
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »

I really do not know what a valve or a shim is - sorry
im sure my car has a bunch of valves and shims I dont know about either thats why I prefer leasing
I will ask the dealer to tell me exactly what is being done to it
woodyracing

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 06:19:22 PM »

Valves are what let the air/fuel into the cylinder and exhaust gasses out into the exhaust.  Your bike has 4 valves in each cylinder head (vertical and horizontal), 2 exhaust valves and 2 intake valves.  The belts turn 2 camshafts in each head, one camshaft for the intake valves, one for the exhaust valves (in each head obviously).  These camshafts have lobes that move rocker arms which push the valves down into the cylinder (open) and on Ducatis a 2nd rocker arm driven off of a different cam lobe pulls the valve back up (closed).  Ducati is unique in having the camshaft close the valves, almost every automotive/motorcycle engine in the world uses springs to close the valves.  Keep in mind all this movement is happening VERY VERY FAST.  The gap between the rocker arms and the cam lobes when the valves are closed is critical to keeping the engine running properly.  To set this gap there are shims of different sizes positioned on the valve, the valve adjustment process is basically measuring the gap and swapping the shims as needed to achieve the appropriate gap.  Obviously to do this you have to get to each cylinder head which means removing a LOT of stuff.  As I mentioned Ducatis are different in that they have a rocker arm closing the valve as well, which means there is a shim for opening each valve and a shim for closing each valve.  Check out this animation of a Ducati valve movement including the camshaft and rocker arm.  This animation is from a 2-valve engine so it is a bit different than yours, it only has one camshaft in each head. 
CLICK

Labeled:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:28:26 PM by woodyracing » Logged

That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »

I guess you missed the two year part.

Timing belts (1)                             
Notes
(1) Replace every two years irrespective of condition.

so why would the dealer say 12,000 miles?
what a bunch of jerk offs
im heading to the dealer now ill make them change them
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »

back on topic

got the bike back
they told me that because teh belts are made from this "new material" that they did not have to be changed.

oh and the bridgestone bto16's stick like glue amazing
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 12:44:57 PM »

that new material is kevlar cord/banding... and alot of guys run belts a lot longer than 2 years, but better safe than sorry.
i would check them out, and see what kinda shape they are in... im sure they did as well.

they are still mostly rubber though, and rubber can corrode, exposing the cords... these cords can snag in one of your pulleys and cause an unwelcome clunk or boom... resulting in catastrophe..

BUT, if they are in good shape, they are in good shape..
mine have 4700 miles on them, the bike is 2006... they look like they are brand new still.
i plan on running them at least until my valve service...
at which point i will have them changed, or i will change them myself.. pretty simple task, but dont make the beast with two backs it up...

its a subjective call i guess, and im certainly not the authority on the subject.. this is just a culmination of all the stuff i've heard/read...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »

that new material is kevlar cord/banding... and alot of guys run belts a lot longer than 2 years, but better safe than sorry.
i would check them out, and see what kinda shape they are in... im sure they did as well.

they are still mostly rubber though, and rubber can corrode, exposing the cords... these cords can snag in one of your pulleys and cause an unwelcome clunk or boom... resulting in catastrophe..

BUT, if they are in good shape, they are in good shape..
mine have 4700 miles on them, the bike is 2006... they look like they are brand new still.
i plan on running them at least until my valve service...
at which point i will have them changed, or i will change them myself.. pretty simple task, but dont make the beast with two backs it up...

its a subjective call i guess, and im certainly not the authority on the subject.. this is just a culmination of all the stuff i've heard/read...

thank you for teh info
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »

im at 11,000 on an 06 with stock belts, they look good to me, but im going to change them out @12,000 when i get my valves checked again. I also had them retentioned to somehting more forgiving when i did the 6000.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:03:44 PM by Speeddog » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »

<mod>

I pruned all of the crap out of this thread.

This is the Tech Forum.

If you want to talk about food or cappucino or whatever, go to NMC.
If you want to poke each other in the eye, do it via PM.

If you want to contribute  On Topic, go ahead.

</mod>

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »

<mod>

I pruned all of the crap out of this thread.

This is the Tech Forum.

If you want to talk about food or cappucino or whatever, go to NMC.
If you want to poke each other in the eye, do it via PM.

If you want to contribute  On Topic, go ahead.

</mod>

thank you
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »

cost me $1400
for 2 new bto16's
6000 mile service they did not change the belts
they did chane the valve covers
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »

what was wrong with the valve covers? they are covered by the fairing and your bike was to few miles for them to be damaged unless something crawled in there and put a hole in them.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »

what was wrong with the valve covers? they are covered by the fairing and your bike was to few miles for them to be damaged unless something crawled in there and put a hole in them.

who knows, shiesters man they probably didn't do sh*t to the bike fkin assholes
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 09:07:59 PM »

who knows, shiesters man they probably didn't do sh*t to the bike fkin assholes
That's what ya get for not knowing what a valve and a shim are and looking down your nose at people who do. Wink

John...

you're up. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 07:22:37 AM »

That's what ya get for not knowing what a valve and a shim are and looking down your nose at people who do. Wink

John...

you're up. Grin

a lot of people take their cars and bikes to the shop and do not know the mechanics of them. I was not looking down on anyone it was people looking down on me first so I fired back, I am not really a snob like that I was just defending myself to the people that had a beef with me not knowing about shimmys.
That Nice Guy Beck!

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 07:23:46 AM »

tell you what im gonna do the 12,000 service myself lol waytogo
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: