Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 08:12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install LED Instrument Cluster Lights  (Read 24595 times)
filter

Bumblebee

« on: May 28, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »

When I bought my 01 750 Dark, two of the instrument cluster bulbs were burned out, so I figured since I had to replace them anyway, I'd go ahead and try to make them blue.

The bulbs in the Monster instrument cluster look to be a #194, available at any auto parts store.  I tried some blue incandescent #194 bulbs from O'Reilly and they were far too dim to see.

The instrument cluster has four #194 bulbs.

To take this to the next level, I ordered some LEDs from http://superbrightleds.com.   They have several options.   I ended up with four of each of the following types:

• 4 WLED-BLX 1 watt Blue LEDs (this is the brightest option sold by them).  At $9.95 each they were expensive.  They ended up being too bright and they didn't quite fit correctly because they were too tall, so I don't recommend these unless you really want to blind yourself!   (See photos below).
  • 4 WLED-B-120 120 degree wide viewing angle blue LEDs.  These were only $0.97 each and have a wider viewing angle, so I decided to buy them as a backup... and I'm glad I did, since they worked out great!

Here are the tools you will need:
  • 8mm nut driver or deep socket + wrench
  • Allen wrench that will fit the bolts that hold the instrument cluster (I don't know what size it is, but I found one in my collection that worked)
  • Vise grips to help remove the rubber light mount from the socket (optional, you can try with your fingers or a needlenose pliers)
  • Screwdriver (optional, to help with removing bulb mounts)

Step 1: Remove the instrument cluster from the bike

This is done by unscrewing the two gold allen bolts as shown here:

Next, you will have to unscrew the speedometer cable and the electrical cable that are going into the instrument cluster.  You can use your fingers for this.

You should now have the cluster removed.

Step 2: Remove the nuts holding the tach and speedometer in place

There are four bolts, nuts, and washers on the "back" of the cluster as shown here.  Use your 8mm socket or nut driver to unscrew them.  This will allow you to remove the tach and speedo from the cluster.

Step 3: Replace the bulbs

Here's the real meat and potatoes.  The tach and speedo each have two bulbs in them that are mounted via a rubber gasket mount in the back.

You just have to pull out these gaskets.  I used a vise grip on the rubber knob,  but I did end up ripping one of those off, so be careful.   It required quite a lot of force to pull these out... just be sure to pull straight out and you'll be fine.  You can also use the screwdriver to pry them out, but I found that to be more difficult than the vise grip.

Below, you can see the previous "blue" #194 incandescent bulb I had tried out.  It sucked; don't even bother using them!!

Replace the bulb with one of these babies:

And shove it back into the tach/speedo.   Do this for all four bulbs.

Step 4: Reassemble

Now, put it all back together in reverse order.  You may have to jam the speedo cable back inside with some force.

Step 5: Enjoy your new instrument cluster!

Not a bad mod for under $5!  I imagine the red LEDs would look great, too.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:32:20 PM by filterban » Logged

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »

Here's a photo of the cluster comparing the 1 watt WLED-BLX bulbs and the WLED-B-120.

The WLED-B-120 is on the left in the speedometer.  The WLED-BLX is in the tach.

Note that the BLX is about 1/8" too long to fit in the area allowed for the bulb, so the mount stuck out a bit, which seemed like a bad idea.  Also, you can't really tell from the photo, but the smaller viewing angle of 90 degrees on the BLX made it so that you could really see where the bulbs were located... and it didn't look nearly as good.

Not to mention the "Wrath of God" brightness from the BLX!!

The short version:  Just get the WLED-X-120 bulbs, where X is the color you want.  They are plenty bright for the instrument cluster and they even fit correctly.

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »

waytogo

i wish my guages were like that!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
minnesotamonster

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:58 AM »

Very cool. Might have to try this.

2004 S4R
1998 Honda F3 (Track)
2001 M600 (Now the Wife's)
carriesanaxe

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »

this an epic cheap mod
here are my results using green instead of blue:
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »

looks good. how many MCDs are those?

these are mine they arent as birght as the picture leads it to be. i want to go brighter next time, possible change the background label.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
corvtt1969

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:53:13 AM »

is it 194 type bulb for the S*Rs?

2006 S2R
2002 Mini Cooper S
1983 XJ750 Maxim
1969 cb450
1969 Corvette vert
COP TZR

I got the modding virus

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »

Wow I like that.... LOOOKS GREAT!!!  I hate the dull looking oem dull bulbs.  I'm curious what the red or orange would look like.  I'm going to try these out.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:46:13 AM »

before you do, what bike do you have? its not that easy on S*R bikes. mine required a lot of work. breaking out hte soldering iron and doing SMD soldering. they dont use conventiona LEDs, they use plcc-4 LED
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:15:32 PM by He Man » Logged

filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »

Yep, the old clusters are much easier to deal with than the newer models, which require lots of soldering.

Xzebet

Monsterdark 600 2001

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »

I tried red LEDs and IMHO it looks the best. But thats just me.  Wink
zarn02

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 12:10:53 AM »

And for whatever it's worth, red doesn't affect is less detrimental to your night vision.

"If it weren't for our gallows humor, we'd have nothing to hang our hopes on."
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:41:32 AM »

green doesnt affect night vision.

Dellikose

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »

I know it's been a while, but here are the red LEDs in my M900 cluster for reference. chug

1999 Ducati M900
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »

Awesome, I am def doing this to my new 2001 dash! Thanks!

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: