Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 08:43:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 214052 times)
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2019, 02:23:34 AM »

The rule of thumb psi for bigger capacity sportsbikes of 32-34/34-36 seems to be challenged by the new approaches of tyre mfrs.

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2019, 03:09:58 AM »

I'll let you know when I buy a new approach tire. waytogo

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2019, 04:48:15 AM »

I think Michelin realised their mistake.
I'll get a Power RS for the front next time and go back to 32-33psi. Wink

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2019, 05:02:24 AM »

IMO, Michelin has made several.

I'm not a fan of one compound for everyone when it comes to track tires. Used to be you could choose soft, med, or hard(durable). I always ran soft fronts and the hardest rear I could buy for longevity. I'm not racing, and don't mind letting tires come up to temp. I'm also not sponsored, and tires are expensive. Now, with the 'Evo' tires there's no choice.

I will admit that when I stopped riding like Petrucci, and carried more corner speed, the rear tire longevity increased. Turns out the bike will make the corner if you let go of the brake and let it. Tongue

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »

The factories do take wrong turns at times or the market can't get its head around how to best use new concepts. I baulk at 36 psi in a front street tyre to make it stable because it goes against what I have known for so long. I guess the market corporate psyche also has trouble adapting. When I tell customers the Pirelli SBK slicks on my track bike need 32-33 front and 27 rear hot after an hour on tyre warmers they look utterly confused.

The PP3 was criticised for a lack of stability and the RS reportedly rectifies that.

I think the soft carcass tyres are too pressure sensitive and the average rider doesn't check their tyre pressures regularly enough. 9 out of 10 customers tyres are significantly under inflated and I regularly change customer tyres due to excessive wear caused by under inflation.   

The Pilot Road 3 sport touring tyre was superseded very quickly by the PR4 and deleted from the range. The Pilot Pure concept did not last long either. Instability at traditional psi due to the extremely light carcass at traditional pressures. The light bodied tyres supported by higher pressures feel very strange to me and I dare say the market.

I'm fortunate that my local tyre shop has a few guys who have raced or worked in high level race teams. Those guys get good industry information. I was not expecting a front sport tyre to need 36 psi to work properly.
Dunlop seem to be committed to the heavy carcass/lower psi formula for sport tyres from what they've learned from their Ntek slicks. Maybe I should make a change?

I used to pounce on my A Grade mates used slicks like a vulture. Grin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:39:48 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »

The way of the world is to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator.

I hope Michelin doesn't change their philosophy and start producing Dunlops. They're a PITA to change. You can almost install a Michelin without a spoon. You can definitely install the first side by just pushing it over the rim.

perspective

koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »

IMO, Michelin has made several.

I'm not a fan of one compound for everyone when it comes to track tires. Used to be you could choose soft, med, or hard(durable). I always ran soft fronts and the hardest rear I could buy for longevity. I'm not racing, and don't mind letting tires come up to temp. I'm also not sponsored, and tires are expensive. Now, with the 'Evo' tires there's no choice.

I will admit that when I stopped riding like Petrucci, and carried more corner speed, the rear tire longevity increased. Turns out the bike will make the corner if you let go of the brake and let it. Tongue

I only raced at club level where five or six lap sprint races were the norm. Every lap was the last lap. The tyre warmers were cranked up. Grin

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2019, 09:14:58 AM »

The way of the world is to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator.

I hope Michelin doesn't change their philosophy and start producing Dunlops. They're a PITA to change. You can almost install a Michelin without a spoon. You can definitely install the first side by just pushing it over the rim.
Dunlop's are beasts.

I think Michelin may have gone more that way with the rear Road 5 from how it feels on my Monster (and what I've read). I like it. I will use a Power RS front with a Road 5 rear when this PP3 wears out.
I like the sport front/sport touring rear combo. I am tempted to try a similar combination by Dunlop or Pirelli, say a Q3/Roadsmart or Rosso/Angel combo. Then there's Bridgestone. Truth is, I'll be drawn to whichever mfr has the cheapest deal Grin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:59:59 PM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »

As winter is coming I will soon have some ride impressions of how Pirelli MT60RS dual sport tyres perform in wet conditions on tarmac, that is, unless we have a drought. Still, a dry winter here tends to be very, very cold with lichen and moss forming on some mountain roads creating a treacherously greasy surface that appears dry.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2019, 04:14:16 AM »

Tomorrow's wet, so I will report how the Pirelli MT60RS tyres work on wet roads. I hate wet weather riding.

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #250 on: May 25, 2019, 04:19:04 AM »

Well I rode home from work and it was pissing down. Although I had some good results racing in wet conditions back in the day, I absolutely hate street riding in the rain.

The modest torque of the little 750 did not overwhelm traction and the Pirelli MT60RS tyres actually felt quite confidence inspiring in feel and ride quality. While the tyres  obviously have more grip in the dry they subjectively feel better in the wet (the Corsa versions are used as SBK wets). The tyre squirm one feels pushing in the dry becomes a welcome compliance in low grip conditions. This led to a planted feel and secure ride quality.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the tyres on this lower hp bike.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 04:23:07 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2019, 01:27:56 AM »

Metzler make a new Karoo Street dual sport tyre, 70/30 for paved road/dirt road use. They have a 150/70/17 and a 170/60/17, but no 160 size. How wide are Metzlers for their given width compared to say Dunlop who are generous or Pirelli who are conservative for a given width. The Pirelli 160/60/17 MT60RS on my M750 looks like a 150 when fitted.  Can I get away with running the Karoo Street 170 on my M750's 4.5 inch rim or would the 150 be best? The Pirellis work well but the Metzlers are cheaper. Grin
Cheers
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:30:39 AM by koko64 » Logged

2015 Scrambler 800
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2019, 04:06:36 AM »

Gonna try a combo on my M1100Evo. Pirelli Rosso II on the rear and a Rosso Corsa II front.

2015 Scrambler 800
Charlie98
Marveling at my

McKinney, TX

« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2019, 05:25:50 AM »

Gonna try a combo on my M1100Evo. Pirelli Rosso II on the rear and a Rosso Corsa II front.

No Rosso III?

I've currently got a III on the rear, and a worn out II on the front... I should have just spent the money and had both replaced.   Lips Sealed

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)

Wherever you go, there you are...
koko64
Post Whore

« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »

Rosso II's are being sold off at bargain prices. Grin Pirelli's are very expensive here. Runout deals for II's at $219, but $350 for a III! Then you gotta buy the front tyre!
How do you find them?

2015 Scrambler 800
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: