Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 07:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire ratings  (Read 212368 times)
red baron

« on: May 18, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

Ok, I found this to be a big benefit before so we'll start anew.

Please keep your post updated.

Currently I'm running Pilot Powers, have 6k on them and the front is fine and the rear is showing wear but no real flat spotting.  waytogo

This is after 6k in the canyons and one trip from Los Angeles to San Diego, 130 miles on the freeway at 85+

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:04:32 AM by red baron » Logged

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
NAKID

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:24:23 PM »

I have the Bridgestone BATTLAX BT014F. IMO, they are no stickier than my old Pirelli Diablo's and wear much quicker. I am down to the wear bars at 4K miles vs the Diablo's at over 5k were still good.

I think with the riding I do most, I will go with the Pilot Roads next...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
64duc

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:23:09 AM »

I have the Bridgestone BATTLAX BT014F. IMO, they are no stickier than my old Pirelli Diablo's and wear much quicker. I am down to the wear bars at 4K miles vs the Diablo's at over 5k were still good.

I think with the riding I do most, I will go with the Pilot Roads next...

I just switched from a Diablo to a Pilot Road on the rear for mileage reasons (4k on Diablos) and it does'nt feel as confidence inspiring as the Diablo. Just not quite as planted sometimes. No major problems, maybe even just because I know it's there.

94 M900, 64 Diana 250
VisceralReaction

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:04:21 AM »

I have put 7K on a set of Avon Storms. Rear is just now ready to be changed out.]
I think I am going to go back to Pilot Roads again though

UPDATE,
Well I now have 8400 miles on the rear, it's very squared off and down to the cord.
I think it was a good tire all in all, did well in the wet, the front tire is still very good.
I think it squared off really quick though in about 4000 miles
My tire looks just like the pic in the post below mine.

Found a screamin deal on a Bridgestone BT-021 today so will review that next.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:40:55 PM by VisceralReaction » Logged

There are squirrels juggling knives in my head
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:16:26 AM »

This might be useful to others, so I put it here.  Mods feel free to move it if you think it needs to go to tech.

My rear tire looks like this:

So I'm needing a new one and want all manner of advices.  I know tires were cover quite a bit on TOB, but we could use that info here.  Up front is an almost new Pirelli Diablo, rear is a well-work Diable (not Coras III, just a plain Diablo).  I've been toying with moving to a different tire as all I've ever use are the Diablos.

1.  What tires might have a compatible profile with the Diablo front?
2.  I ride in the rain, so what has really nice wet traction?
3.  I commute a lot, so what tires don't wear a flat center as fast?
4.  I do like a spirited ride, but can I get away with an aggressive sport-touring tire?
5.  Should I toss a cheapo (Cheng-Shin) on the rear just until I wear out the front and make a switch then?

Input, comments and questions are welcome ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »

I found the Shinko 009 Raven on ebay a while back and for $160/set I thought I would give them a try on one of my bikes (a 94 750ss)

I have been impressed.  They are no Pilots or Diablos, but they are very good and you can't beat the price.

On a scale of 1-10 with Pilot Powers being 10, I would give the Shinko Raven a 7.5 or 8.  I cannot complain about them.  the rubber is a bit hard and takes longer to warm, but the tread has worn well and they do handle nicely.  Cornering at speed is not a problem. 

They also have a Shinko "Podium" tire which may have softer rubber.  I haven't seen them in person.

They are Korean made and most of the Korean brands I've seen on cars are pretty decent (Kumho, Hankook).  I think they are trying to break into the US market and right now only a few dealers have them (again, look on Ebay). 

I would not put Cheng Shin on anything but a baby carriage and only then if it has 4 wheels.

reviews
http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/2/29839.html?1109355179

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?p=1347031

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:40:56 AM by ducatizzzz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
the_Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:21 AM »

Thanks, maybe Shinko was what I was thinking of instead of Cheng-Shin ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

kutter

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:19:44 AM »

I put a Pilot Road 2 on my Monster  and I thought that it was perfect for my application. Planty sticky enough for me in the corners, good wear in the center with that graduated rubber compound. I rode in a spirited fashion but I would not say I was overly aggressive so it may be that you would need a softer compound if that does not fit your profile. My front was still in great shape, it was the stock Bridgestone, and I rode without any issues on both of them. Plus the wet weather traction was significantly better.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:22:42 AM by kutter » Logged

All my best ideas get me into trouble.

I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?!'

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything..... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
the_Journeyman

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »

Might try that.  The road is the Sport tour tire, right?  The 2 means the dual compound?  Something like that might be nice ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

kutter

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 07:26:22 AM »

You are exactly correct sir. That was why I went with it, I have a 32 mile commute to work and when I rode the Monster in I wanted a tire that would not just flat spot itself in the center and be useless after 3K miles.

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything..... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sause

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:34:03 AM »

I run Dunlop Qualifiers and they feel really good in the rain three big down poor situations not afraid of light rain. I put 8,000 road miles on them. 0 track day. Pretty squared off and very little chicken strip left.

Trying the Diablo Corsa 3's next

These are on an M750

2000 Ducati M750
  Ohlins Rear
  Clip On's
  Carbon High Mounts
1999 KTM EXC 250
the_Journeyman

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:21:23 AM »

Looks like I'd have to go with a Pilot Road 2, the 2CT nor the Corsa III is available to fit a 160 rim ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

kutter

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »

I think the 2CT is only for the Pilot Powers, the Pilot Roads are just 2, both dual compound. Cycle Gear has the 160 for $177.99 and I think they charge $20 to mount, so right at 2 C-notes but you  have to dismount the wheel and bring it in. Plus if you are military they give a 10% discount.

DucDodgers

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:36 AM »

When I got my bike it had a set of Diablo's but they were a few years old and I think the rubber was starting to harden cause I never felt good on 'em. I swap the out for the Pilot Roads and after a couple of hundred (mostly city miles) I got to say I'm impress. I commute to work and only have one bike for work and fun sobI wanted something that would wear well. I wanted the powers but the roads made more sense for me. These was up warm up quick and they're great in the rain. They do seem to have a more narrow profile than the diablos, if that's important to you then look into it.
monsterduc

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »

I've been running Diablo Stradas for the last couple sets of tires.  Most of my riding is weekend morning, curvy mountain road riding and I have been satisfied with the Stradas as far as traction is concerned. 

As far as mileage goes, I have been a little disappointed because I was only getting about 3500 - 4000 miles out of a set of tires which is only ~500 miles more than from the regular Diablo's that came on the bike.  An important point to make, however, is due to the type of riding I do I am wearing the tires on the sides where the center of the tire still has ample tread left.  I think if I did more commuting or touring I would see the mileage I was expecting.

Living in Arizona, I do not have much to offer as far as rain performance.   Undecided
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: