Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 26, 2024, 05:00:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snobbery  (Read 3769 times)
Vindingo

02' 620 Dirty

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »

I don't think it's duc riders in general.  I saw a desmo at Hell's Kitchen this weekend. As we were hangin around outside this guy comes out with an entourage and wearing the Ducati Corse one piece leathers. We started talking to him.  Nice guy, if not a little too Hollywood.  His buddies were riding 1098 or S4RS's. Damn if the D16 doesn't make the sweetest sound ever!

Dude that was Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt
corndog67
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »

<shrug>  It happens.  'specially with Ducs.  I do what I can to avoid that scene, but sometimes, it's just that way. 

re not inviting you on a ride, there's the 'other' perspective.  I might not tell some new guy where I was gonna ride if I don't know him.  There are some rides that are open to the public and others that are not.  That said, it *seems* like their group ride was part of the meet-up and therefore open to whoever wants to join.  My concern is that I don't want to have to take care of someone (or contact their loved ones) who tried to keep up, rode over his head and ate shit.  I'd be especially concerned if someone asked to join a ride and was dressed as you described yourself.  Hmmm . . . I guess that counts as snobbery.  I must be one of them.   Undecided

We either make it clear not to show up in tennis shoes, or we give them tons of shit about it if they do.  That's not ostracizing them.  It's setting a norm.  I'm gonna be the one waiting for the ambulance, posting up details about their ankle surgery and cleaning the blood off the street.  So I get to say something.  Besides, if they can afford gas, they can afford a pair of hiking boots or Timberlands. 

P.S.  Don't ever ride with Vin.  He's a f'n low-rent f'n scumbag.   Grin

Well Spide, I was invited by one of the members to come and check out the group and maybe go on a ride with them.     The fact that they would have taken the $35 membership fee and given me a T-shirt no matter what was kind of interesting.  Now I've been doing this stuff for about 37 years.   32 on the street.  In fact, I just have to watch someone ride for about 5 minutes and it gives me a real good idea if they can ride or not.  I'm sure you guys can do the same thing.   Just watch someone for 5 minutes and you already have an idea about their abilities.  I have never ridden with a group, any group, that i couldn't hold my own with.  No one has to take care of me.   And from the looks of things, some of their group needed watching over.   And I'm not going to ride over my head trying to keep up.    And the fact that I wasn't wearing leathers?  Well, I had a leather jacket.  I don't even OWN a pair of leather pants.  This is how I ride.   Jeans, a leather jacket,  some heavy duty work boots that probably cost more than most of their fancy Alpinestar boots, a good helmet and motocross gloves.   As for people wearing tennis shoes, they ride their bike, I ride mine. 

I guess that is why I generally ride with only a couple of guys from work, and from where I used to work (true, hard core maniacs), and my brother.    What was I thinking?   I guess I thought they would be like regular guys, but apparently, I was wrong. 
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »

I will say this- and I know a few of the guys in this group do read this board and know who I am-

But why do people who own Ducatis feel the need to wear Ducati everything right down to their underwear?  It sorta creeps me out to be honest.  I was getting a little flac because I wear an Icon armor jacket on my Duc.  And yes, I have seen some guys that I talk to who are completely in full racing leathers by- Ducati on their Ducati bike

I've wasted spent a ton of money on my bike, least I can do is advertise that fact.

Okay, technically my wife's bought me all my Ducati branded gear. Maybe it's her way of saying to the general public "See. This is why our kids have to dress in rags..."  Grin

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2009, 05:06:15 PM »

I've wasted spent a ton of money on my bike, least I can do is advertise that fact.

Okay, technically my wife's bought me all my Ducati branded gear. Maybe it's her way of saying to the general public "See. This is why our kids have to dress in rags..."  Grin

THIS IS WHY WE DON'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!!

"Do something each day that scares you..."
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 05:34:45 PM »

Maybe it's her way of saying to the general public "See. This is why our kids have to dress in rags..."  Grin

Nope.  It's to distract you from the fact that all your kids look like me.   Grin

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »

Nope.  It's to distract you from the fact that all your kids look like me.   Grin

That was good.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: