Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:26:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: StreetFighter snapshots (8)  (Read 8729 times)
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« on: May 16, 2009, 11:04:36 AM »

My first few impressions, from sitting on it....

Leg room is at least as good as on the 696/1100, and better than on the Monsters.
The seating position is (1-2 inches?) further forward than on a SuperBike and 696/1100.
For me, 6'4", the new bikes feel too short - on the StreetFighter I see the front of the forks in a normal riding position Undecided

There will a market for different slave cylinders - very hard clutch lever.
You'll want to weld/hammer/other bolts/carbon fiber the right heel guard - stock is about an inch out from the pipes and forces the heel way out.
At the seven/eight o' clock part of the clutch cover, it is much closer to the clutch basket. It seems that the open clutch covers can be less wide.
Passenger foot peg assemblies are hard to unbolt. Left side bolts are obstructed by the shock reservoir.

I still hate the fairing attempt and the head light looks weird and unDucati'sh.
Red isn't an obvious choice, black looks a lot meaner. (before modding)

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
psycledelic

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:18:23 AM »

Thx for posting up some detailed pics.  I can't believe that the exhaust mounting bracket is part of the passenger pegs.  Nonetheless, I would still ride it like I stole it (which is probably what I would have to do to afford one)!

06 S2R800 - the wife                         Dolph
04 999s - the mistress
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »

D*mn..it took awhile for the new 696/1100 to grow on me..but that piece of bulk is just..   vomit

Maybe ditch the headlight..high mount pipes and lose the belly pan?

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »

man, that bike looks SICK!!!

thought the clutch lever is only very heavy to you because you ride a S2R800, its pretty standard across all dry cluch bikes.

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ArguZ

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »

Yeah...I dont know...the more pictures I see the less I like it.
Very complex plumbing exposed and nothing to love...really.
I wonder if I have the chance to see one in reality or even sit on one.
Never understood why people did not like the S4R...but this looks...just complicated..
red baron

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

So what this thing is, a 1098 without the fairings?

vomit

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

So what this thing is, a 1098 without the fairings?

vomit

Pretty much.  Different radiators (two stacked so the profile is thinner), SBK-ish frame but different geometry and the same angled love-it-or-hate-it styling which leaves me leaning more toward the latter...

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:47:42 PM »

Never understood why people did not like the S4R...but this looks...just complicated..

I have to agree.  

AFAIC.....It actually looks more "Monster" than the new Monster does.   But it sure ain't the minimalist look that sold me on the original Monster design.  Way too much plumbing and odd parts going in all directions.  Right now it looks more like a Triumph design what with parts bolted on willy-nilly everywhere.

It is,  as trouble pointed out,  a 1098 without the fairing...(and that can't be a bad thing!)  Not sure about the exhaust vs. heel room issue that stopintime noted but all in all I actually like it.   [moto]   It just needs to be a bit cleaner looking and a bit more "sensuous" in an Italian kind of way.  Maybe plop a Monster-style tank on it instead of the 1098 tank and throw in a few curves here and there......I think then I'd consider adopting it into the Monster family.

P.S.  The headlight is certainly different but I like it a LOT more than that ugly protrusion on the 696/1100 bikes.

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
MsTek
I'm self explanitory.

Vroom, vroom, baby.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »

Tank and headlight bother me the most from what I can tell so far.

"Do something each day that scares you..."
lwszabo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »

it just doesnt flow
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »

Looks great in person, like a shit ton of fun.

The thing that grabs me, negatively, is the damn ends of the radiator. The two i saw (red and black) had these funny silver cheap aluminum ends, shown in the above pictures.

Then it dawned on me. They come that way from the factory on purpose, so that you'll immediately turn around and buy some DP  carbon fiber to replace them.

Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »

This thing has potential.   waytogo  I can see a bunch of stuff about it that I don't like, but that's what makes it a fun project. What would you do with it?

At first glance, I'd get rid of that gold/magnesium colored clutch cover.  Why that color??  The magnesium/gold cylinder head cover would get powdercoated or painted black.  The belt covers would be matte black or I'd replace them to get rid of all those curves on 'em.  They're too complicated looking.  The sides of the upper radiator would also go black.  I'd yank the lower cowl to see how it looks.  I might replace it with something more flowing or just repaint to minimize the chunkiness and all the different edges.  That heat shield on the right would be gone, as would the passenger pegs.  I'd find a way to do a minimalist exhaust bracket.  I'd either get an aftermarket shield or wrap that exhaust in black exhaust tape and just deal with the heat.  I hope the aftermarket exhaust options are good because currently, it hides too much of the SSS.  I like the burliness of the exhaust, and would like an option that keeps it.  The traction contol wire on the front would should have less free wire before it gets ziptied to the brake-line.  It's a little thing, but it'd clean up that mess a lot.  The mirrors would disappear as would the rear fender.

That's just a first pass.  Without spending too much $, I bet you could clean it up pretty easily.  And I'm sure someone here will.   Evil

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »

I have to give them credit, it can't be easy to take what is normally hidden behind full body panels, and make it look acceptable. I think they did a pretty good job. Both Motorcyclist and Cycle World did test rides this month. It looks like it will be a real kick to ride, although I still rarely use WOT on my S4RS.

The thing I don't like about ducati in general is they seem to be abandoning the red frame
jestor00

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »

In person the tank and headlight don't look bad at all, they just aren't very photogenic.  I was worried I wouldn't like the tank and headlight in person, but after wandering into my shops  maintenance bay and seeing one in person I'm in love.  What I don't get is the white sides of the radiator?? I was thinking it was just some protection for shipping, but on the above demo they were still on?

The one I saw in person din't even have oil in it yet.

I saw the base model. The belt covers are huge and dominate that side of the bike, they would definitely need to be switched out for carbon fiber way to much plastique otherwise.
be350ka

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »

I saw one today as it was being uncrated and I have to say that I REALLY like this thing.  Over all the bike looks very nice.  I noticed the radiator covers as well and they look cheap considering all the Carbon on the S.  After sitting on the bike I fell in love with it as it feels very nice, but it is quite tall.  This is not really a concern for me beign 6'2", but others may need taller shoes.  A few other things that I liked about the bike are the SMALL switch controls, the tank design, and that fact that it fits like a glove.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 02:52:01 PM by be350ka » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: