Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 14, 2024, 01:41:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made a tool to get the db killers out of the termis  (Read 5064 times)
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« on: May 09, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »

I tried to pull the db killers out from the back, but they wouldn't budge and I didn't feel like damaging the db killers or the cans.

So I went to home depot and bought a 2 ft. section of  1 inch schedule 40 pvc, A 1 inch coupler and cap to make the tool to tap the baffle out from the inside

The 1 inch coupler is a slip fit over the inside end of the db killer

The fit is pretty tight as you can see by the little pvc left on the baffle

I also bought a 3" to 2" reducer to use as a stand for the end of the termi while I was tapping the baffle out from the inside

So the setup looked like this

Tapping the baffle out from the inside was very easy, the coupler kept everything lined up. I was worried about using a broom handle because I didn't want to take a chance damaging the inside of the can
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:16:16 AM by dbran1949 » Logged
A.duc.H.duc.

944 ist sehr gut!

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:02:49 AM »

Very resourcefull, nice work  applause

"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."
Dave R

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:18 AM »

a slide hammer works too

Dave R
Seattle Used Bikes
SALES - SERVICE - ACCESSORIES - PARTS
Facebook
Web
ScottRNelson

Mr. Dual Sport Rider

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:24:40 AM »

You don't need that "reducer" thingy for the end of your pipe.  And you don't need the hammer either.  Just hold onto the pipe and pound your removal tool into the ground until the db killer pops out the top.

Now I would like to find some db killers to put into my Ferracci pipes.  Those things are definitely too loud.

Scott R. Nelson, 2001 XR650L, 2020 KTM 790 Adv R, Meridian, ID
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

pound your removal tool into the ground

I prefer tapping Grin

Without the db killers the termis are too  loud also, the other day on a ride a driver on a cell on the inside of a two lane right turn, swung wide right into me when I was right next to her ( I didn't get hit because noticing she was on the phone I was paying attention). That's when I decided to pull the baffles out.

I may try to modify the baffles by drilling progressively larger hole in the capped of end that projects into the can to make it louder incrementally till I get it where I want it. Since I'll probably be moving the baffles in and out quite a bit, I wanted to make something to easily do the job
patorojo

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »

I may try to modify the baffles by drilling progressively larger hole in the capped of end that projects into the can to make it louder incrementally till I get it where I want it. Since I'll probably be moving the baffles in and out quite a bit, I wanted to make something to easily do the job

I did as you noted, drilling additional/larger holes, except in only the lower portion/sides of the baffles, none in the end, until I got it sounding the way I wanted.  I jury rigged a slide hammer by taking a 6" piece of threaded J-hook with a big washer and a nut and used a small weight off some hand weights.  Pops right out without having to remove cans from bike, etc.

Arne Berger
2007 S2R1K
2007 DL650
2005 DRZ400S
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »

I did as you noted, drilling additional/larger holes, except in only the lower portion/sides of the baffles, none in the end, until I got it sounding the way I wanted.  I jury rigged a slide hammer by taking a 6" piece of threaded J-hook with a big washer and a nut and used a small weight off some hand weights.  Pops right out without having to remove cans from bike, etc.

What size drill and how many approximately?
patorojo

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »

What size drill and how many approximately?

(4) 1/2" holes and (4) 1/4" holes.   I seem to recall that I started with 8 - 1/4" holes and that didn't do much so I enlarged (4) of the 1/4" holes to 1/2".  Bottom line is I think the 1/4" holes are superfluous.

I just pulled one out right now and took some pics after finding that I never took any when I did the work.  So, yanking one of the baffles, taking the pics and sticking it back it took about 10 minutes.

Pictures below of my "tool" and the baffle.  It was hard getting a good shot of the baffle cause it was so black so you can't really see the 1/4" holes.  I also staggered the holes so all 4 weren't on the same plane.

Arne Berger
2007 S2R1K
2007 DL650
2005 DRZ400S
Gone Ape

Boom-Shaka-Laka.....So much for my Titanium Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »

SpeedTrpl has a brand spankin unused set of Termi db killers he's selling....PM him..........

Always one to be underestimated
Eddie_322

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 04:19:39 AM »

Made a similar tool to get mine out for $6 and it worked great. thanks for the idea.
alibaba

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »

Hard to believe - for once I got lucky.  My baffles just pulled out with no effort.
I'm sure I will pay the price somewhere else for this rare occurance.
TACstrat

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »

Thanks for sending me the link to this post dbran1949. Are the db killers bolted in or are they just form fitted into the slip-ons? Also, I assume you have to take the slip-ons off to install/uninstall the db killers?
dbran1949

2007 S4RS Black Termis

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »

there is a small screw holding the db killer into the exhaust. you do not need to remove to install, but it is a tight fit I put the db killers in the freezer for an hour to shrink them
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: