Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 18, 2024, 06:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!! I bought a bike and it ended up being stolen...  (Read 38049 times)
sbrguy

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30:24 AM »

craiglist is normally very good, you just have to get a clean title from someone with their name that matches their id, etc.  no title, no sale, simple as that in my book.  bill of sale as you are fiinding out is basically worthless.

now title is not always 100% full proof and those can be counterfeit as well but its something else someone has to forge which is sometimes harder to do.

good luck.

its not the legal system that fails you, its the people that have to go out and try to stop criminals that are failing you, sounds like they are not doing anything like you said.
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 02:04:19 PM »

I pushed buttons in GA and got a felony warrant issued for his arrest........but now they need to actually find him or that does nothing either............maybe one day I'll get it back.  (not holding my breath)

2003 Ducati 748S
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »

if you have all his real legal identity information, can you determine if he owns any property and put a lien against it?

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 04:53:34 PM »

if you have all his real legal identity information, can you determine if he owns any property and put a lien against it?

His address isn't accurate any more, but I have his real name etc.  Not sure of the legal stuff associated with any of what you mentioned though.  I'm guessing he owns nothing though.......

2003 Ducati 748S
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 03:00:43 AM »

How much are you in for?  Sue him in small claims, you have more thab enough evidence.  Take the judgement and mail copies to all the banks around and all the national and internet banks.  They are obligated to freeze his account if they get a copy of an order and an account matches.  He'll pay.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:25 PM »

He owes me $2,800.  The small claims would be an option, but they have to be able to find him to serve him.......or it gets dropped.

2003 Ducati 748S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »

He owes me $2,800.  The small claims would be an option, but they have to be able to find him to serve him.......or it gets dropped.

Look up to see if "service by publication" is available in your county for small claims.  if it is, you just have to show the judge you did it.  Easiest way to get a judgment, when the bastard doesn't even show up.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »

I live a state away in TN.  I'll have to contact the courts down there and do a little research though, that would be nice to go ahead and have the ruling for when they arrest him. Police

2003 Ducati 748S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

I live a state away in TN.  I'll have to contact the courts down there and do a little research though, that would be nice to go ahead and have the ruling for when they arrest him. Police

I would be surprised if the court didn't allow service by publication.  Usually it requires you to mail to the last known address, get a kick-back (send it certified with signature, and have it rejected..) then you get to put an ad in a paper.  There is a fairly standard format for it.

Once you do that and it runs for the statutory time, you take all your papers (rejected letter, copy of the ad, and all your evidence) and you go file.  Judge will look at you, look at your evidence, and ask the court if anyone comes to stand for the defendant -- no answer?  you get a default judgment.   I helped another guy on TOB to do this exact thing when someone ran over his bike and he couldn't get the cops to arrest the guy (no proof he was driving his own car -- witnesses told the police the car's tag, etc).. He froze the guy's accounts, and he couldn't pay rent -- he coughed up the money fast.

Once you get your money, you simply tell the cops where he sent it from. 

evoasis

I lost my Titanium Member

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:12 AM »

Hire a PI, it'll run around 200.00 to get him properly found and served.. I know a few private investigators who are in California and find these kinda jerks all the time..

I guess there are good and bad mods; you'll find the good ones here Wink
speedknot

If a Honda= rice burner, then what is a Ducati?

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 12:31:16 PM »

This is what you would call a mystery bag of shit.  Law enforcement doesn't like to go near stuff like this.  Were you able to file a formal complaint in the county/town of occurrence/transaction?  It sounds like this dirtbag is in the wind.  I'd hate to be the harbinger of doom but you might have to chalk this up to a lesson learned.  I shouldn't have to say what the lesson is here. 
The local authorities probably wont spend too much time on this.  Especially when the place of occurrence and the complainant(you) are not even in the same state.  Like someone else here said, you and your friend should see if this guy is still peddling his stolen loot on craigs list and set up a sting.  Maybe you and your buddy can dish out your own brand of justice. Evil

2001 Duc M750, Harley Forty-Eight, 1976 Honda CB400F-SS, 1975 CB360T
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 01:18:55 PM »

I was able to push buttons down there and they realized NOTHING had been done what-so-ever since the impound.  I finally was able to get a felony warrant out on the guy, but now we're "waiting" for him to get caught.........then the slow process that will hopefully bring some of it back.  I'm sure I'll never see a penny, but at least if he gets popped he has a felony conviction  chug

2003 Ducati 748S
speedknot

If a Honda= rice burner, then what is a Ducati?

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »

The DA's will plea it down to a traffic ticket.

2001 Duc M750, Harley Forty-Eight, 1976 Honda CB400F-SS, 1975 CB360T
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »

It's sad because it's true.........the legal system in this country protects criminals.  Too bad I have morals, I could be rich at everyone's expense........ boo

2003 Ducati 748S
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »

I was able to push buttons down there and they realized NOTHING had been done what-so-ever since the impound.  I finally was able to get a felony warrant out on the guy, but now we're "waiting" for him to get caught.........then the slow process that will hopefully bring some of it back.  I'm sure I'll never see a penny, but at least if he gets popped he has a felony conviction  chug

if he's ever in the state and gets pulled over, you can bet they will give him the royal treatment.

explain to me how they work a felony crime down to a non-crime traffic violation, i missed that in law school.   cheeky

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: