Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 19, 2024, 01:55:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!! I bought a bike and it ended up being stolen...  (Read 38063 times)
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« on: May 06, 2009, 03:30:17 PM »

I bought an '05 R6 "stunt bike" from a guy off the ATL Craigslist.  My friend had already bought a fairing for his R6 off the guy a week earlier and said he had a whole bike, so........like an idiot I sent my buddy the $2,800 to get the bike with and the guy delivered it to my friends house in Kennesaw, GA.  My friend works for the city and was going to get a bonded title on the bike and then transfer it over to me since I can't title the bike in TN the same way.  Anyways, the guy includes the bill of sale with a copy of his GA State ID on it, his pic and his real info on that as well.  The next day my buddy gets the police to come over and run the VIN so they can start the paper work and it came up stolen out of Jacksonville, FL.  They towed it on the spot.  Well good for them finding a stolen bike, but I'm left -$2,800 and they aren't doing anything about it.  I'm going to drive a 9 hour round trip tomorrow to file a civil suit against the guy, but as most of you know, that's about worthless.

<personal info removed as violating guidelines.   No personal info may be posted. >

We contacted him about making it right since my buddy would swear the guy didn't know it was a hot bike.......why else would your pic be included right?  He was going to get my money back to me, but then he fell off the radar..........go figure.  Any info on this guy or his where-a-bouts would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the novel, but he's been trying to sell off a bunch of other bike stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they're stolen too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:00:15 AM by Statler » Logged

2003 Ducati 748S
Duki09

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:56:40 AM »

and many people wonder why I always spend the extra money to buy new vehicles or through a dealer rather through a private seller and especially trust those on Craigslist or Ebay.

People should take the VIN of used vehicles they want to purchase and get a DMV history on it.

If you have  signed documents that this Mr Glover guy received your $2,800 in exchange for the bike which was stolen then this should be a case enough to have authorities hunt Mr Glover down as the possible suspect in theft of the bike.
If he has made himself unavailable to contact and has not returned the money, that amount of money taken is a felony next to the fact that he may of actually known it was stolen or even stolen it himself.

BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »

If you have  signed documents that this Mr Glover guy received your $2,800 in exchange for the bike which was stolen then this should be a case enough to have authorities hunt Mr Glover down as the possible suspect in theft of the bike.
If he has made himself unavailable to contact and has not returned the money, that amount of money taken is a felony next to the fact that he may of actually known it was stolen or even stolen it himself.

I do have that paper showing that he received $2,800 for the bike, the VIN is listed on it and there is a copy of his ID on it as well.

2003 Ducati 748S
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

I do have that paper showing that he received $2,800 for the bike, the VIN is listed on it and there is a copy of his ID on it as well.
I'm assuming you've been in contact with the authorities....

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »

I'm assuming you've been in contact with the authorities....

Yes, and they've done nothing.........they basically took all the info and sent it to Jacksonville, FL.......the police down there have yet to contact anyone.  I'm assuming they'd put out a warrant for the guys arrest, but we're in the dark.

2003 Ducati 748S
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »

That's pretty frustrating.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »

Very much so.  Our legal system is VERY inadequate.  I received counterfeit postal money orders for my old Explorer when I was in Charleston and they wouldn't do anything about it........I ended up locating the truck by myself, shooting spy photos, and getting all the paperwork in order and FINALLY a police officer was willing to do something to prevent me from just confronting the person by myself. Angry

2003 Ducati 748S
Cucciolo

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »

Hey bmiller!

Were you able to get your money back from this asshole? I'd like to know what you've done to track him down.
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 10:54:59 PM »

Hey bmiller!

Were you able to get your money back from this asshole? I'd like to know what you've done to track him down.

Well, I found out my "buddy" down there would have to do all the leg work since the bill of sale was in his name...........pretty sure he's done nothing.  That dude is out enjoying my money and I don't have a pot to sh*t in......sucks, I hate the legal system..........so full of defects that protects criminals.  Even if I was able to file a civil suit against him, they'd have to find him to serve him bang head

2003 Ducati 748S
Cucciolo

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »

sorry man.. I guess that you would have to do what you did for your Explorer and get justice on your own.. or just forget about it ..  At least for your future transactions you will be extra cautious.  You can't trust anyone these days.
redxblack

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »

Have you looked into the silly television courts? They can award damages of up to $3-5k and often award "litigants" an appearance fee of the same. In short, the guy CLAIMING to not know the bike was stolen could make right and you could get the appearance fee + a refund of your cash. The other guy would lose a little time and look like a douche on tv.
BMiller

Rattle Rattle Rattle

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »

They'd have to find him to serve him first, that's the main problem.... Undecided

2003 Ducati 748S
DucFanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »

generally, finding people that aren't trying to hide isn't difficult at all. just hire the right people (p.i. or process servers)

ur dude might be laying low but is definitely not hiding
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 01:14:14 PM »

generally, finding people that aren't trying to hide isn't difficult at all. just hire the right people (p.i. or process servers)

ur dude might be laying low but is definitely not hiding

Exactly.  Have you looked for him on Craigslist?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

try pipl.com

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: