Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 07:13:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing in dc / truck  (Read 2665 times)
FastAndLight

« on: April 19, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

Had a catastrophic failure of my rear brake yesterday.  A bolt went into the rear wheel with enough force to give me a flat.  The thread is posted in tech: http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=22403.0

I want to take the bike back to Ram Cycles, since they were the last ones working on the rear brakes (a couple weeks ago), but the towing quote I got yesterday was about $200 from DC to Rockville.

Anyone have a truck and want to help me out or know of a good towing company?

Thanks.
Geaux

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »

If you don't find someone with a truck, this guy towed my bike from Logan Circle to Ram's old Gaithersburg location two years ago for $156 ($75 + mileage).  Rockville is a bit closer.

"Two Wheel" Towing and Transport
Servicing the Tri-State Area
Free overnite storage for motorcycles
MC/Visa Accepted
Call Anytime
301-587-6423
410-741-1285
P.O. Box 135
Spencerville, MD 20868
Bug

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:42:39 PM »

What about just riding it after wiring the caliper out of the way? RedlineMotorSports in Takoma Park has towing to their shop. Not sure if they offer towing elsewhere?
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »

What about just riding it after wiring the caliper out of the way? RedlineMotorSports in Takoma Park has towing to their shop. Not sure if they offer towing elsewhere?

He doesn't have a rim that will hold air.  The bolt shot through the rim and pierced it.

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »

Where in DC?

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
FastAndLight

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:49:17 AM »

Thanks for the replies, I managed to get a truck and take the bike to the shop that did the work on the rear brakes.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out...
twolanefun

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »

Sorry I did not see this sooner, I would have tried to help you out. But, I'm also thinking that the shop invloved should have been more than ready to come and get you, that was dangerous and you could have been hurt, they ought ot be willing to do a lot to make amends - just MHO - would love to hear how this turns out - please do let us know - Gene

"I know a few roads"
92' PASO 907ie
02' M900 54K+ Miles
04' ST3 58k+miles - Sold
01' Victory Sportcruiser 30K miles, 04' Victory Kingpin - 111K+ miles
09' XR1200 - 15K+ miles
13' Diavel - 13K+ Miles Pay attention and things will be okay
EX-MSF Instructor, EX-President MAD
AMA Charter Life Member, Patriot Guard Rider
Victory Motorcycle Club, Charter Member
Patriot Guard Rider
FastAndLight

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:01:40 PM »

Gene,
Thanks for the thought, I appreciate it.  I ended up getting a whole bunch of beers Saturday after the incident.  The bike was parked safely only a few blocks from my girlfriend's place, so we all just got drunk and I dealt with it on Sunday.

I received a great phone call from the shop today, even though they were closed, the owner went by and pushed the bike inside and out of the rain.  Either he or the service manager are going to be in touch with me tomorrow once they have a look at it.  From the sound of the message they will be pleasant to work with.  Given how nice they were the last time I took the bike in that isn't surprising, but it is definitely refreshing.
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

Just saw this - been really busy lately with work.  I have a truck and am inside the beltway in Montgomery County.  I guarantee my towing rate is cheaper!

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
tuanogus
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »

Yes, yes, I considered starting a new topic... but there's some good nuggets in here and decided to add my own 411.

I haven't used the service but I met the owner, Thomas Heinz, at a gas station the other day. Seems like a really decent guy. Has a P/U with trailer. Despite the name, he hauls M/C's. He saw my monster and said he just came back from a drop-off out at DucPond.

DC Scooter Transport
http://dcscootertransport.com/
haulme@dcscootertransport.com
571-215-8468
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:57 AM »

Yes, yes, I considered starting a new topic... but there's some good nuggets in here and decided to add my own 411.

I haven't used the service but I met the owner, Thomas Heinz, at a gas station the other day. Seems like a really decent guy. Has a P/U with trailer. Despite the name, he hauls M/C's. He saw my monster and said he just came back from a drop-off out at DucPond.

DC Scooter Transport
http://dcscootertransport.com/
haulme@dcscootertransport.com
571-215-8468

I know Tom...good guy...war vet and a lil scraggly and strange...but good dude!

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
tuanogus
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »

Saw this on craigslist today, and decided to post here for the sake of posterity.

1 Guy here with a 4x4 Pick up Truck and a 8x16 Trailer-- Enclosed-- available for motorcycle transport or general moving services.

Based in the Dulles area allows quick access to anywhere in the DC/Metro area.

I offer flat rate services.

Local or long distance.

I can fit 1, 2, or 3 motorcycles on my trialer

Please feel free to call or email. (prefer email. I reply Fast)

Chris
703-622-3061
1 Guy, 1 Truck, 1 Trailer
1guy1truck1trailer[at]gmail[dot]com (Strongly prefer email)

References available.
Experienced rider that knows how to ride and handle any bike, big or small.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: