Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 11:07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail Tech Vapor  (Read 1942 times)
lowd239

« on: April 06, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »

Ive had my trail tech vapor installed on my 01 M900 for about a year now and I figure its about time I get the tach and low fuel light working.  Currently I have the tach pick-up wrapped around the spark plug wire but the tach reading is ridiculously sporadic. 

Ive heard that there is an output you can use on the flywheel position sensor but Im not positive on this.  As for the low fuel light, anyone happen to know which wire going to the gauges corresponds to the low fuel light and if it reads a voltage when low fuel?

I plan to go at it tomorrow with a multi-meter but was hoping there would be a few out there who could help lead me in the right direction.   Thanks!!
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:50:31 AM »

Try hitting up the search function here, it may yield what you need. I found this pretty quickly and may be of some use:
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=11273.0

The mfg should be able to help you as well if ya give their tech support a call...      360-687-4530 or email:      tech_support@trailtech.net
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:53:20 AM by hypurone » Logged

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
jfisher2

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »

I did this install in January, but my bike is at my old man's garage.  I can let you know what color goes to the low fuel light, but I didn't do the tach pick-up.  I'll be going there this weekend and will check it out and post back up if nobody  else does before then.

97 M900
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »

Hmmm, I've got an '01 and I just used the 'tach input' wire (I can find the color for you when I get home) that normally went into the stock cluster to drive my aftermarket tach (motogadget)

I originally tried using the wire that went into the coil, but the one that goes from the ECU worked far better.

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
lowd239

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »

Hmm "tach input" wire?  Im not exactly sure which wire that would be but I just bought a multimeter with an rpm sensor for 4-cylinders so perhaps that could show me if there was any kind of rpm signal from an unused wire.

The gauge looks pretty clean, but there arent enough lights for all of the gauge lights so I might just wire the low fuel and oil pressure to the same light.

Im also working on finding a good place for the temperature sensor location since under the sparkplug (as instructions say) puts too much of a bend on the copper end of the sensor.

Thanks for the replies!!
Drunken Monkey
Scooter-Trash
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

According to the wiring diagram for an '01 900, the tach inputs are as follows:

Positive comes from the Blue/Bk wire (label A on the round connector)
Ground comes from the Bk wire (label K on the round connector)
And the 'pulsed' tach signal comes from the Blue/White wire (Label J on the round connector)

I dunno how the Vapor is set up, but you should be able to just hook up the Blue/White wire to the input, rather than use a pick up.

Hope that helps.

I own several motorcycles. I have owned lots of motorcycles. And have bolted and/or modified lots of crap to said motorcycles...
toaster

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »

i have a vapor on my ktm, and i just hooked it into the hot wire for my coil.  im not sure how its gonna work for the monster once i try to do it, but it was fine for the ktm.  i may end up trying it out just to check if it works.
lowd239

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »

Yea I had some time yesterday and was able to figure some things out.  I traced the fuel light to the brown and white wire, but I will have to install another light somewhere on the dash because the fuel light is a constant ground which receives voltage when on which is the opposite of the other dash lights i currently have.

As for the tach, I tried the blue, white wire but the vapor wouldnt read any rpm.  My multimeter was reading an rpm so I know the wire is the correct input for the tach, but perhaps the vapor isnt set up to receive that kind of signal. 

Ive also tried taking the signal directly from the coils, but the rpm reading is not correct there either.  Ahh what to do?!   This weekend I will try calling TrailTech to see if they can help me out.
mookieo2

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »

Yea I had some time yesterday and was able to figure some things out.  I traced the fuel light to the brown and white wire, but I will have to install another light somewhere on the dash because the fuel light is a constant ground which receives voltage when on which is the opposite of the other dash lights i currently have.

You should be able to use the vapor light. Maybe you can use a small relay to change the signal. I`m not fully understanding what you need to get the light to go on; 12V or gnd? Can you get the light to go on if you apply 12V to it or gnd out the wire. Try that first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: