Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 07:13:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109245 times)
Desert Dust
Ten Most Popular Uses for a

"There's no glamour in Nirvana, no glamour at all"

« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »

07 S2R 1K

Dimples on the fuel tank.

Latch doesn't fuction properly.

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
KG4KGL

« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:19 AM »

05 S2R Dark

dimples on top of tank.
Tank does not sit on frame properly
bulge on lower rear right side.

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” -- Frank Sinatra
bmonty72

« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »

2006 S2R 800
Desert Dust

« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »

My tank will be replaced soon, but it is my understanding that Ducati replaces the defective tank with new tank that has the same qualities and characteristics that caused the original tank to become expanded and defective.

What if Toyota replaced their faulty, sticking throttle linkage with another faulty, sticking throttle linkage?

Doesn't Ducati get it? The concept is to eliminate the problem, not to continue with the same manufacturing process that caused the problem in the first place.

Is there anything that Ducati owners, as a group, could do to change Ducati's way of thinking on this?

07 S2R 1K:  "You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »

Check the other thread that is stickied.

Get on the email list.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Desert Dust

« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »

I'm relatively new to this forum. What other thread is "stickied?"

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

I'm relatively new to this forum. What other thread is "stickied?"
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=25074.0

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »

this one..

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=25074.0

dammit, the old curmudgeon is faster than me.. bang head

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Desert Dust

« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2010, 01:57:59 AM »

Thanks.......... I'm signed up

seevtsaab

05 M620

« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2010, 03:59:05 AM »

I had noticed some expansion late last year, think I sighned up but never 'registered' took pics etc.

Been using non-ethanol this year whenever possible and noticed my tank 'back to normal' (tank pads resting quare on frame again).
Non-Ethanol no longer available (in VT afaik) - so, I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Excellent info from Ducatiz re: cause of expansion (nylon absorbing water that is absorbed by ethanol).
Desert Dust

« Reply #280 on: November 26, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »

Had my plastic tank replaced today on my 07 S2R 1K. Ironically, I was about 5 miles from the dealer on a busy 4 lane freeway when my bike shut down due to fueling issues. Luckily, I was able to coast to the side of the road. Once stopped, I sloshed the fuel around and got it going again. The service manager said that my bike most likely stalled because of debris inside the tank caused by the expansion.

Ducati needs to get its act together on these plastic tanks.

Piller

« Reply #281 on: November 26, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »

so is every new tank I get going to expand?  Should I get a different model?  Don't the new ducati's all have plastic tanks? 
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2010, 05:36:41 AM »

so is every new tank I get going to expand?  Should I get a different model?  Don't the new ducati's all have plastic tanks? 

Holy shit, I thought you had been sacrificed to Mayan gods or something.

Currently, the new tanks are the same material and are just as likely to expand.

The coatings work, but that's on your own dime.  If you get the inside coated, it will not expand.

The SBKs that are used for homologation in WSBK have aluminum tanks.  All the other bikes have nylon tanks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: