Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 07:17:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109634 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »

Earlier this year I said that I hadn't noticed any problem with the tank on my '07 S2R800.  Now I'm not so sure.

The problem I'm having seems to be a little different than everyone else's but I think its tank related as well.  I pulled my seat off tonight and when I went to put it back on I couldn't get the front tabs to fit in their slots and the latch at the back seemed to be about 1/2 an inch too far forward.  This seat has always just "fallen" really easily into place.  Now the only way I can get it to latch is to slam it hard into the tank and force it down on the rear latch.  At first I thought something had moved under the seat but now I'm pretty sure the tank is too wide for the front of the seat to slide around it easily. 

Also noticed today that the triple now hits the left side of the tank.  I'm thinking it's more than just the steering stop backing out a bit.

The tank still looks great cosmetically.

So...should I add my name to the list of tank refugees...?

latch at the back?  there is only the buckle latch on the front (under the key switch) and a hinge on the back.

but it does sound like you have expansion.

look at the rubbers on the bottom of the tank when it is closed and clamped down -- are they lined up perfectly?  THey are U shaped and the open part should cover the frame evenly.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »

FTR: 30,000 kilometers = 18,641.135767 miles.   Wink

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2009, 07:07:04 AM »

Earlier this year I said that I hadn't noticed any problem with the tank on my '07 S2R800.  Now I'm not so sure.

The problem I'm having seems to be a little different than everyone else's but I think its tank related as well.  I pulled my seat off tonight and when I went to put it back on I couldn't get the front tabs to fit in their slots and the latch at the back seemed to be about 1/2 an inch too far forward.  This seat has always just "fallen" really easily into place.  Now the only way I can get it to latch is to slam it hard into the tank and force it down on the rear latch.  At first I thought something had moved under the seat but now I'm pretty sure the tank is too wide for the front of the seat to slide around it easily. 

Also noticed today that the triple now hits the left side of the tank.  I'm thinking it's more than just the steering stop backing out a bit.

The tank still looks great cosmetically.

So...should I add my name to the list of tank refugees...?

yup...you're expanding.   I was backing out the steering stops thinking I was crazy or they were loosening.   nope.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
kumabull

« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »

just an update.

Tank replaced over the weekend by the good guys at DucPond in VA

Time from contact to them to replacement under a week.

P.S I'm running Sta-Bil from now on every fill up just to be on the safe side and a little preventative protection from the ethonol ......GRRRRRRRRR. works out to about an extra 1.50 a tank though so we shall see.

PS2. "I'm also told that there was a curing process defect in some of the first tanks.  (07 S2R bought in early 2007.)  That the manufacturing process has been taken care of and that the new tanks won't expand the way the first ones did.  Yet to be seen. " Did the dealer or DNA say this?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:53:23 AM by kumabull » Logged

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Pressure Plate
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

Ordered: Arrow Full race exhaust Carbon Cans
CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
SpeedyMoto Black water pump cover
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2009, 08:16:34 AM »

PS2. "I'm also told that there was a curing process defect in some of the first tanks.  (07 S2R bought in early 2007.)  That the manufacturing process has been taken care of and that the new tanks won't expand the way the first ones did.  Yet to be seen. " Did the dealer or DNA say this?

that sounds specious, unless somehow the curing process is specific to ethanol.

as i mentioned before, there are NO reports of this happening outside the USA that I know of, and I have spoken personally with about 30 folks across UK, Germany, Italy, Australia and Japan to date thru clubs.  No one has heard of this problem in those places.

If it was a curing problem, i would expect it to happen no matter what kind of gas was being used.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kumabull

« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »

that PS2 is from page 15 im asking who said that ??

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »

that PS2 is from page 15 im asking who said that ??

lol sorry.. i didn't register that..  to answer, i do not know.

kumabull

« Reply #247 on: August 13, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »

no worries mate  chug

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
J.P.

« Reply #248 on: August 13, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »

OK- to sum up what us customers are being told:

-There was a problem w/ the curing process on early tanks(even though it effects all years).

-Ducati is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.

-Ducati/tank producer is spraying a coating inside the tanks as a fix.

-There is no problem(in my case).

Hmmm. Too bad Italy is closed for August. I'd love to hear some new ones.

-JP

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
skurvy

« Reply #249 on: August 13, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »

So here's what I sent DNA:
Questions or Comments: I recently had my fuel tank replaced due to problems with fitment and deformations in the plastic. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from happening again? I have called Ducati North America and Rachel informed me that Ducati is aware of this issue and may be a redesigning a fuel tank for the US market. One explanation is that the E10 fuel could be the cause of these problems. Ethanol in the fuel can be the cause of deformations in plastic fuel tanks. I have asked the dealership where I bought the bike, XXX, if they can recommend anything. Neither the GSM nor Service/Parts staff had any answers. I have had all my services done at that dealership and my service advisor, XXX, has always gone above and beyond all the other service writers to make sure everything is taken care of when it comes to fixing my Ducati. My main concern is what if these problems with the fuel tank return? Would I still be eligible for a "redesigned US spec" tank if and when it becomes available?

And here's their reply:
Thank you for contacting Ducati North America.

We are sorry to learn of the concern you have experienced with your Ducati SportClassic.  We can assure you that Ducati is aware of this concern regarding your fuel tank.  Please understand, issues that arise outside the period of the 2 year factory warranty are dealt with on a case by case basis.  If you should have any further concerns, it will be necessary to have your motorcycle inspected by an authorized Ducati dealership.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us or an Authorized Ducati Dealership. To find an Authorized Ducati Dealership, please visit www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator" or utilize our dealer locator by phoning 1-800-231-6696.

Best regards,

Customer Service
DUCATI North America
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, CA  95014
www.ducatiusa.com
Tel: (408) 253-0499 x4411
Fax: (408)253-4099

Funny my bike turned into a Sport Classic even though I gave them my VIN# and entered "Monster - S2R Dark" in the drop down menus when you fill out the form...

Thanks DNA  Roll Eyes
exertus

« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »

Dealer
hillbillypolack

« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »

Just as someone getting information on what's happening, can someone point out the specific examples of what this entails?  Meaning is the tank out of tolerance?  Twisting so that one of the front rubbers isn't contacting the frame?  Dimples?  Ability to close the front clasp?  Noticeable bulges?

Yes, I did a search, looked for images (someone please post images, it goes a long way).  If the group here can collect any dimensional information, collect a number of images, or further reflect instance-by-instance manufacturer damages, we'll have a better way of settling this through Ducati.

I personally didn't know this could be an issue, and attributed the right-side tank mount "float" to Italian build variation.  Still do, since I run 92-94 octane gas.  God knows what else they allow in Michigan gasoline, but so far (knock wood, harken St. Christopher), my tank seems to be somewhat okay.

So far.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2009, 02:25:01 AM »

Just as someone getting information on what's happening, can someone point out the specific examples of what this entails?  Meaning is the tank out of tolerance?  Twisting so that one of the front rubbers isn't contacting the frame?  Dimples?  Ability to close the front clasp?  Noticeable bulges?

Yes, I did a search, looked for images (someone please post images, it goes a long way).  If the group here can collect any dimensional information, collect a number of images, or further reflect instance-by-instance manufacturer damages, we'll have a better way of settling this through Ducati.

I personally didn't know this could be an issue, and attributed the right-side tank mount "float" to Italian build variation.  Still do, since I run 92-94 octane gas.  God knows what else they allow in Michigan gasoline, but so far (knock wood, harken St. Christopher), my tank seems to be somewhat okay.

So far.

There are more than a few pics posted.  The main problems seem to be rippling on the sides (where the scoops are), pressing against the keyswitch, and the frame-rest rubber bumpers no longer sit on the frame. The bumpers are the biggest tipoff to the expansion as they are U-shaped and meant to line up directly.  Mine are now out of line and no long can full contact.

achilles129

« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »

Took my 2006 M620 in for service, and was told by dealer they noticed my tank expansion was the worst case they'd seen. It's been over time, so all the issues associated with it (little clearance on front tank latch, handlebar contact, etc) only clicked when he explained the expansion problem. After two days, DNA approved a replacement. It's in the shop now, but other than an anxious two day wait, it's been pretty painless.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »

Well, I finally joined the ranks of the Swollen Tank Corps.

The mount for my DP steering damper is digging into the tank on font right side.

Just spoke to my local service manager and he said to swing by.  He also said that since I still have an active manufactuer's warrantee I need only swing by to have some photos taken and that he would call me when my tank shows up.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: