Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109265 times)
exertus

« Reply #225 on: August 04, 2009, 04:01:54 PM »

I called and explained the tank problem to the new manager at our local Duc Dealer.  Took the bike in and had pictures taken and send to DNA.  I was told that I was just over the 20,000 mile mark, but that DNA agreed to replace the tank under good will.  Doesn't add up, because I thought the emissions warranty was 5 year unlimited mileage. 

Long explanation cut short, yes I just deleted it, the local dealer wants $100 for the tank replacement out of good will.  Something about a new warranty for 2 years on the new tank since I am supposedly over the 20,000 mile / 5 year emissions warranty.  Just doesn't add up. 

But DNA is going to replace the tank and it's already at the shop.  Just waiting for a schedule opening to get it replaced. 

I'm also told that there was a curing process defect in some of the first tanks.  (07 S2R bought in early 2007.)  That the manufacturing process has been taken care of and that the new tanks won't expand the way the first ones did.  Yet to be seen. 

I much prefer the metal tank.  The manager's story about problems with the metal tank, I never heard of.  I had the metal tank on my first Duc, and never had a problem. 

Oh, what was wrong with my plastic tank?  Mostly that it grew so much that I can't operate the tank latch by the ignition switch.  It's simply jammed tight.  If I left the tank up overnight, I bet I couldn't get it back down and latched ever again.  There are other minor signs that the tank grew, but I only noticed because of this board and I knew what to look for.  Anyway.  Good luck to the rest.  I'm getting a new tank installed in a couple of weeks. 
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »

might want to let DNA know about the dealer charging you one hundred bucks for approved warranty work.  Might want to let the dealer know that reputable dealers all over the country are getting tanks replaced and aren't pulling that shit.  But it depends on your cost/pain in ass ratio tolerance.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »

I just looked at my 2005 S2R and it would seem that the rubber bumpers don't fit the frame anymore. My tank was in dry storage for a couple years, so I'm probably an atypical 2005 plastic tank owner. My bike has 2800 miles. If it gets to where the tank is hitting the ignition, I'll talk to my dealer about it.

Smiley Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2009, 04:47:17 AM »

I called and explained the tank problem to the new manager at our local Duc Dealer.  Took the bike in and had pictures taken and send to DNA.  I was told that I was just over the 20,000 mile mark, but that DNA agreed to replace the tank under good will.  Doesn't add up, because I thought the emissions warranty was 5 year unlimited mileage. 

it's not unlimited mileage

Ducati North America, Inc., 10443 Bandley Drive Cupertino, California, 95014 warrants that each new 1998 and later Ducati motorcycle, that includes as standard equipment a headlight, tail-light and stoplight, and is street legal:

A) is designed, built and equipped so as to conform at the time of initial retail purchase with all applicable regulations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency, and the California Air Resources Board; and B) is free from defects in material and workmanship which cause such motorcycle to fail to conform with applicable regulations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board for a period of use, depending on the engine displacement, ... or of 30,000 kilometers (18,641 miles), if the motorcycle's engine displacement is 280 cubic centimeters or greater; or 5 (five) years from the date of initial retail delivery, whichever first occurs.

18,641 miles or 5 years, which ever comes first.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MAXdB

« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »

Just to give everyone an update:

I just got my tank replaced! Smiley You guys should go see Allen at Spectrum Ducati..
exertus

« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »

it's not unlimited mileage

18,641 miles or 5 years, which ever comes first.

Where did you find that info from DNA?  Is it online somewhere? 

Is there another warranty on the replacement tank?  5 years or 30000 kilometers from date of replacement?
J.P.

« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2009, 02:50:11 AM »

Is there another warranty on the replacement tank?  5 years or 30000 kilometers from date of replacement?

It's in your warrenty manual- I suggest you read Shyster's above sticky and sign on then file a complaint. Ducati isn't gonna offer a full recall for every monster(what alot of people are holding out for)- they haven't done it w/ the SC's and they got problems(ducati.ms).
I'm pleasently suprised they agreed to fix your tank for only $100- even though the fact that your 2 year old tank needs replacing is crap and should be free.
Warrenty for replacements? That's a good question- I hope you can get an answer and let us know( I think that's what alot of people are holding out for too), as your dealer sounds like they are concerned for their customers.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 02:56:56 AM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2009, 04:27:16 AM »

read your owner's manual.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
exertus

« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2009, 01:10:03 PM »

It's in your warrenty manual- I suggest you read Shyster's above sticky and sign on then file a complaint. Ducati isn't gonna offer a full recall for every monster(what alot of people are holding out for)- they haven't done it w/ the SC's and they got problems(ducati.ms).
I'm pleasently suprised they agreed to fix your tank for only $100- even though the fact that your 2 year old tank needs replacing is crap and should be free.
Warrenty for replacements? That's a good question- I hope you can get an answer and let us know( I think that's what alot of people are holding out for too), as your dealer sounds like they are concerned for their customers.

I thought the 18641 miles number thrown out was a really odd number.  Was just over that mileage, but the tank didn't grow at 18642 miles and I was still under 19000 miles when I realized the problem and took it in, so...

Lost the manual in some moving boxes.  So thanks Shyster and J.P. for clarifying for me. 

The idea with the $100, is that I'm paying something for the tank, and that it would then come with some warranty as a replacement part.  If I pay nothing, then it is a good will or warranty replacement that doesn't come with any warranty of it's own.  Sounds good to me.  Just wanted to see if it makes sense to others. 
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »

The mileage number is converted from km which is why the oddball number.

Buying the part and getting a warranyt is a great idea IF it is for a decent duration!  Like 2 -3 years

J.P.

« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »

Too bad the tanks seem to go to crap just after 2 y.o.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
exertus

« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »

Too bad the tanks seem to go to crap just after 2 y.o.

Anyone have good experience with a metal tank as the plastic tank replacement?  Carbon Fiber tank?  Yeah or nah?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2009, 06:42:17 PM »

Anyone have good experience with a metal tank as the plastic tank replacement?  Carbon Fiber tank?  Yeah or nah?

ETI makes a kevlar replacement but not available yet for the EFI bikes.

I don't know of a metal tank replacement for the S bikes.  Some will come out, but nothing yet.

Paegelow

« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »

I finally got some feedback from my dealer.  My bike is under the Ever-Red warranty now, the factory warranty ran out in January.  Anyway the guy said Ducati will cover part of the cost of the tank under the Ever-Red warranty.  I guess Ducati is covering something like $1500 worth of it, and the tank cost the dealer $1600 something, so the dealer is losing like $100 to take care of it.

This doesn't really make any sense to me, since my bike is definitely still covered by the emissions warranty.  I tried to explain this to my dealer but I didn't really get anywhere.  They're not charging me at least though, so I'm happy.
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »

Earlier this year I said that I hadn't noticed any problem with the tank on my '07 S2R800.  Now I'm not so sure.

The problem I'm having seems to be a little different than everyone else's but I think its tank related as well.  I pulled my seat off tonight and when I went to put it back on I couldn't get the front tabs to fit in their slots and the latch at the back seemed to be about 1/2 an inch too far forward.  This seat has always just "fallen" really easily into place.  Now the only way I can get it to latch is to slam it hard into the tank and force it down on the rear latch.  At first I thought something had moved under the seat but now I'm pretty sure the tank is too wide for the front of the seat to slide around it easily. 

Also noticed today that the triple now hits the left side of the tank.  I'm thinking it's more than just the steering stop backing out a bit.

The tank still looks great cosmetically.

So...should I add my name to the list of tank refugees...?

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: