Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 12:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109549 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »

DNA approved my replacement today. got a call from DucPond apparently there on critical order only, so im assuming Ducati is being bombarded right now.

what is 'critical order' - only replacing the bad bad bad ones?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kumabull

« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »

No, like a back order deal, they are making new ones with a new coating inside. I'm just assuming a back log of replacements.

I cant really say enough about the service I received from the Duc dealer it was great! and it only took a few hours. for DNA to examine the photos I sent and approve. I was told that my tank is pretty bad though so they may be rushing it because of this..... I really don't know.

I really think that the dealership you go through has the ultimate say\motivation to get things moving though. they knew exactly what the issue was and have dealt with a few prior to me calling. He also noted that he received 2 more emails while he was working on mine pertaining to the same thing.

I did go through all the channels myself though
Called multiple dealers
Emailed and Called DNA myself
Took photos of the effected area myself
forwarded photos to dealer at which time they directly submitted for replacement under the emissions warranty.
Joined the list
and submitted a safety report.

Please note:
I am the second owner
The Bike is past the 2 yr warranty
3700 miles on Odo

Thanks,

C

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:25:35 AM by kumabull » Logged

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Pressure Plate
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

Ordered: Arrow Full race exhaust Carbon Cans
CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
SpeedyMoto Black water pump cover
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »

Please note:
I am the second owner
The Bike is past the 2 yr warranty
3700 miles on Odo

well that doesn't matter, the original warranty is transferrable, as is the 5-year emissions warranty.

Good to know that you pushed all this stuff yourself and got good results.

I am suspicious of the "coating" you are are talking about, where did you hear this?

The problem with any coating is adhesion (as previously discussed).  Assuming the original material was made to be non-porous, then it is going to have to be an exotic substance to stick to it.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kumabull

« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2009, 09:06:27 AM »

Oh i completely agree with the transferable warranty I just wanted to give my full circumstances for review. I am suspicious as well, but I specifically asked about what happens if I have the same issue. I was told there was something done to prevent the distortion occurring again. now I could be mistaken but he did say a coating. I don't really doubt my shop because they took care of me very fast and professionally but only time will tell. I will keep my fingers crossed. also I bought the bike from Florida where they have the E10 fuel I'm thinking this has something to do with it. here in the Baltimore washington corridor I believe we are standard gas still but I have my eye open to this phenomena. Im keeping my fingers crossed !

chug

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2009, 09:16:32 AM »

here in the Baltimore washington corridor I believe we are standard gas still but I have my eye open to this phenomena. Im keeping my fingers crossed !

I'm in NoVA and all the gas in DC and the places I've seen on my way to B'more are E10.  Ethanol is pretty standard on the east coast, I think down south you'll see some pure gas, but not in the mid atlantic area

kumabull

« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »

Cry  seriously, that is no good. we shouldnt have to have E10, I could see FL but the mid atl\north east I learn something new all the time. Im going to track down a safe fuel and see if that helps with the issue.  bang head

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
extra330

« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »

E-10 is sold in almost every state . Some states do not even require the pumps to be labled that you are pumping  E-10

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
skurvy

« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »

Just got off the phone with DNA and asked if they can recommend doing anything to prevent damage happening again to the plastic fuel tanks. All she said was, "Ducati is aware of the fuel tank issue and is working on it." She went on saying that fuel tanks should be covered under the 5 year emissions systems warranty but it is up to the dealer to make the decision.

She did mention that Ducati is working on a fix and/or a new fuel tank. I had to make sure I heard her correctly. I then asked what if my replacement tank shows the same problems later on, will I be eligible for another "redesigned" tank. She said if I'm within the 5 year period BUT everything is dealt with on a case by case basis. (She said that at least 10 times throughout our conversation). She never gave me a straight answer about anything either stating they do not have a technical department for those types of questions.

I did find this though, www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx , STA-BIL's site recommends using the marine formula for an ethanol treatment. FAQ section says it can be used in all motorcycles. There's also an interesting link titled, "The 411 on Ethanol".

The only thing the Ducati rep said was, "Check with your Ducati dealer to see what they recommend."
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »

Add me to the list.  When I bought my 07 S4R I though to myself...gee, this tank latch is really REALLY close to the ignition.  Now, after having the tank off the bike for the last 6 months, I go to re-install it.  Shit doesnt fit anymore at all.  Luckly I've got a metal tank that I've been messing with, but it isn't a permanent solution.

TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »

Wow, I've got to say WOW.

I emailed my dealer tonight, sunday midnight 30.

He sends me something back.  It's a warranty thing, bring it back and we'll replace it for you.

waytogo

cdv478

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »

My dealer, Michael's of Reno, said "it's not a problem Ducati recognizes". Then the service writer came out with me and looked at my bike and saw how the tank mounts were sitting slightly outboard of where they should be on the frame. He has an '05 S2R, so I thought he would be more interested in my problem since it likely will happen to him too. I thought MAYBe they'd take measurements or pictures, or at least say they'd contact Ducati and find out what could be done. Instead, he said he'd have to look at his bike, then went to lunch, and never filed anything. My regular warranty expires Aug 4th.

This dealer's service is inexcusable. They had my bike for over four months to replace a wiring harness under warranty, so I should've known better than to expect anything productive from this visit. I'm calling DNA tomorrow.  I had good Ducati dealer experiences in San Diego and Tucson, and I'm glad to see that many people here have dealers that at least took action to try to resolve the situation.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2009, 04:27:50 AM »

My dealer, Michael's of Reno, said "it's not a problem Ducati recognizes". Then the service writer came out with me and looked at my bike and saw how the tank mounts were sitting slightly outboard of where they should be on the frame. He has an '05 S2R, so I thought he would be more interested in my problem since it likely will happen to him too. I thought MAYBe they'd take measurements or pictures, or at least say they'd contact Ducati and find out what could be done. Instead, he said he'd have to look at his bike, then went to lunch, and never filed anything. My regular warranty expires Aug 4th.

This dealer's service is inexcusable. They had my bike for over four months to replace a wiring harness under warranty, so I should've known better than to expect anything productive from this visit. I'm calling DNA tomorrow.  I had good Ducati dealer experiences in San Diego and Tucson, and I'm glad to see that many people here have dealers that at least took action to try to resolve the situation.

The wiring replacement delay could be due to Bologna too, don't forget that.  As far as I know, it's a plug-n-play replacement besides the install, so unless they have it and just won't do it, I would look elsewhere.

Plenty of dealers haven't seen the problem yet, I would call Ducati NA as others have done above and talk to them and get them involved.  ALso, it may be a minor expansion so far so the dealer may not "see" it, unless you compare it to a brand new one.  Lots of possibilities.  Either way, it will come.

m1moto

« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2009, 06:46:49 AM »

The local dealer called on Thursday to say that they have my tank in stock.
Less than 2 weeks from the day I showed them the tank.

I will find out more about the coating when I take it in for fitment.

2006 S2R1K  |  Red + White  |  Full Carbon Arrows
http://freshbrand.com/
J.P.

« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2009, 11:46:27 AM »

sounds like a temporary fix to placate you until your 5 yr warranty runs out in about a year and a half, then you're SOL.
...unforgivable.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
extra330

« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2009, 03:03:22 PM »

sounds like a temporary fix to placate you until your 5 yr warranty runs out in about a year and a half, then you're SOL.
...unforgivable.

Yep, I sure hope my RS doesn't turn out to be my third and LAST Ducati I purchase..  Cry

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: