Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 06:00:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109244 times)
exertus

« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »

Anyone know the specifics about the emissions warranty?  Is it 5 years, or x miles, which ever comes first? 

What would you expect for a warranty on the replacement tank?  And how would that time/mileage be calculated?  From what date?
extra330

« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »

The federal emissions warranty is 5 years.

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2009, 04:27:08 PM »

It is 5 years, irrespective of mileage.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
skurvy

« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »

06 S2R Dark
Shell 89 w/ethanol
2nd tank
with tank pad
ripples on top/sides
USA Mid Atlantic / Virginia

I'm on my second tank now. First one was changed out by the dealer under warranty around 12,xxx miles. I'm now at 21,xxx miles and the 2nd tank is now also showing some defects.

*UPDATE*

Here's a pic of what the 1st tank looked like at 12k:

I'm at 23k miles now, the bike is in the shop getting the 2nd tank replaced. Here's a pic of tank#2:

I noticed the 2nd tank expanded and was rubbing against the ignition cover and wore through the dark paint.

So any suggestions on how to slow or prevent this from happening again? Will using Stabil make a difference? Will using another sort of heat shield under the tank help? Any fuel better than others? ALL the gas around here still contains 10% Ethanol.  Angry

kumabull

« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2009, 05:56:28 AM »

Above is exactally how mine is. did you just bring it to the dealer and they take care of it? I have contacted DNA but haven't received a reply yet. I also have contacted my local Duc shop speeds and plan on stopping by on saturday, and emailed the manager asking for any reccomendations.

If the tank was metal I wouldn't have a real issue with it as I could have these taken care of at a body shop but since its plastic there is nothing we can do and that is what really causes my frustration.  bang head

also called DNA and spoke to a nice customer service rep. she told me that ducati is aware of this issue with the monsters and that its caused by the material used for the tanks. there is no perminant solution as of yet etc etc.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:33:23 AM by kumabull » Logged

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Pressure Plate
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

Ordered: Arrow Full race exhaust Carbon Cans
CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
SpeedyMoto Black water pump cover
pennyrobber

« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »

*UPDATE*

So any suggestions on how to slow or prevent this from happening again? Will using Stabil make a difference? Will using another sort of heat shield under the tank help? Any fuel better than others? ALL the gas around here still contains 10% Ethanol.  Angry

After getting my replacement tank put on, I installed some thin heat shield material under the tank on all the areas not covered by the little black pad. If you look under there, the area around the fuel pump is essentially exposed and is right above the rear cylinder and exhaust pipe. I figured since the knee cutouts were the worst part on my tank, maybe the direct heat in this area had something to do with it. The stuff I used is the thin aluminum and fiberglass shielding blanket with an adhesive backing. You can get it at auto performance shops and some moto shops. I have only had the new tank for about 6 months now so no word on if this actually makes a difference.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
skurvy

« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »

kumabull- When I noticed my second tank starting to deform, I casually brought it up with my service advisor knowing that getting a third tank out of warranty was a longshot, especially after speaking with DNA about it. With a little luck he was able to get it changed again under goodwill. After I pick it up I'll contact DNA again and see what they say about preventing it from happening again. I think I know what that answer will be.

pennyrobber- That heatshield stuff is exactly what I had in mind, especially seeing how many tanks this has affected on the right side only. My bike is usually stored in the shade under a cover but still only the right side gets damaged. I'll definitely try the heat shield, better than doing nothing, right?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »

also called DNA and spoke to a nice customer service rep. she told me that ducati is aware of this issue with the monsters and that its caused by the material used for the tanks. there is no perminant solution as of yet etc etc.

Do you have a name?  That is a major admission if she said that. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
kumabull

« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2009, 02:52:39 AM »

I dont but I will try and call again today and see if I can get a little more info when they open.
ie full name\email etc.
Thanks,

Charlie

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
J.P.

« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2009, 03:33:26 AM »

Don't think the heat shield will address the pimple problem in the tank walls- I got them on the top as well as the lower left side.
BTW- one of the 4 complaints on the NHTSA for a 620 dark claimed that the fuel pump flange failed and dumped lots of gas on the ground. That's kinda scary. Heard of it happening to other brand plastic tank bikes too.
To sum it up- Ducati is reformulating & replacing tanks for the Sport Classic line because they banded together, filed a massive complaint the the NHTSA.
I'm not gonna accept a tank that'll last just until the 5 yr warrenty is up(less than 2 years from now for my june 2006 s2r). Can't even sell the thing in the current condition, or feel comfortable doing so until this issue is resolved.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2009, 04:25:32 AM »

BTW- one of the 4 complaints on the NHTSA for a 620 dark claimed that the fuel pump flange failed and dumped lots of gas on the ground. That's kinda scary. Heard of it happening to other brand plastic tank bikes too.

That is scary, and completely believable seeing some of these pictures.

mitt

kumabull

« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2009, 05:10:00 AM »

Another update:

Today I spoke with my dealer of which I sent photos too he said that mine was pretty bad and there going to call me back later hopefully with the approval for a tank replacement.

1 thing to note is according to him Ducati is now coating the tanks internally with a clear coating to prevent further distortion.

all very promising information.

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light
extra330

« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2009, 07:31:01 AM »

For those who have registered a complaint with the NHTSA, did you have any problems entering your vin? The system kept rejecting my VIN. I check to make sure I read the # correctly (I did). A phone call to the NHTSA revealed that their computer system for what ever reason sometimes rejects motorcycle vin numbers. I was instructed to complete the report the mail a copy of my Vin along with the ODI # to the NHTSA.

I didn't see this mentioned so, am I the only one?

Mike

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:27 AM »

For those who have registered a complaint with the NHTSA, did you have any problems entering your vin? The system kept rejecting my VIN. I check to make sure I read the # correctly (I did). A phone call to the NHTSA revealed that their computer system for what ever reason sometimes rejects motorcycle vin numbers. I was instructed to complete the report the mail a copy of my Vin along with the ODI # to the NHTSA.

I didn't see this mentioned so, am I the only one?

Mike

What year/model is your bike?  I had no problem

kumabull

« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »

DNA approved my replacement today. got a call from DucPond apparently there on critical order only, so im assuming Ducati is being bombarded right now.

2007 Ducati S4RS
Apex Clip-ons
Rizoma Signals
Rizoma Grips
CRG Shorty's
MP's Dual HeadLight
Speedy Moto Clutch Cover
Cox Oil\Rad guards

CompWerks Chop
Integrated Tail Light