Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 24, 2024, 08:41:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109742 times)
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »

After owning an outboard boat with a typical read plastic 5 gallon tank, it is AMAZING how much expansion and contraction occur depending on how much gas is in it, how hot it is, etc.  It even seems that just sitting causes a different vacuum than bouncing down the road.

The tank lid has a little vent on it, you are supposed to open when in use, and when you open it, the tank expands about 1" on top, and there is a long hiss from air getting pulled in.

I can see why, especially if there is a venting problem, a plastic tank could deform enough to take a set.

mitt

J.P.

« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:27 AM »

06 s2r 1k
15500 miles

i thought it was just me, but when i lock the bars the plastic hits the tank, and or when i turn right the bars hit the tank,

we've adjusted the steering stops a few times, up in the mountains and now it needs to be adjusted again.
At least i know our adjustments didn't just "back out"

Yea- my steering locks can't even work anymore.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
superjohn

« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »

I think I need to change my vote. It looks like my tank is crowding the ignition somewhat more than it used to. I've been paying too much attention to the other toys  Cry
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

same thing happened to me, i answered the poll and then a few days later opened my tank up to do some work and tried to close it -- zing!

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
J.P.

« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »

Well- seems I'm the only one who has filed an official complaint. Not looking like anything is gonna happen anytime soon.

arai_speed
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »

Well- seems I'm the only one who has filed an official complaint. Not looking like anything is gonna happen anytime soon.

Not true!  I also filed a complaint.
m1moto

« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »

I popped in at my local dealer on Friday to see if they can help me out. The service writer knew exactly what I was talking about and said they have already filed a claim for another Monster. He said it will take a few weeks to get the parts in stock and replace my tank.

2006 S2R1K  |  Red + White  |  Full Carbon Arrows
http://freshbrand.com/
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »

claim just approved through dealer for mine.   About a three week turnaround for answer from DNA.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
extra330

« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »

Yep, my replacement tank was authorized by DNA last week. waytogo , Let's hope this one holds up. bang head

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »

You guys should still file a NHTSA report.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
J.P.

« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »

I filed one because the Fed emissions warrenty is up in 2 years, may tanke that long to get this problem fixed. I don't need a tank that'll fail in another 2.5 yr. like the current one. Then you get no help from the US authorities.
And we know how Duc has dealt w/ the O2 sensor issue & foggy gauge/electronic pod.

On that note, I must say: good day sir.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:53:29 PM by J.P. » Logged

extra330

« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2009, 05:11:15 AM »

As soon as the replacement tank is installed and I have the paper work in my hands I will file with the NHTSA.

84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
wantingaduc

Excuse me Sir, your bike is smokin.

« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2009, 07:08:45 AM »

Ok here’s my fuel tank story.

I have a 2006 620 dark and I noticed last year that it was growing a “tumor” on the right side knee indent. I also had to adjust the steering stops once or twice during the season but never put the 2 together. It didn’t think it was so bad and put it up for the winter.

This spring I looked at the tank and it had gotten a lot worse. Then looking more closely I saw that it had expanded quite a bit on the right side, so much so that the bumper is almost off the frame rail at this time. I also saw some cracking up near the latch and the fuel cap is no longer fitting correctly.

I wrote an e mail and took some photos of all the problems and sent it all to my local dealer. He called me and said he was sending all my information to the area Ducati service rep for review. In the interim I had the occasion to ride the bike up to the dealership and let him look at the bike in person. He suggested that I also contact Ducati North America with my information and complaint.

They responded that I should take the bike to my local area dealership to have it checked out. I informed them that I had done this first but wanted to make sure the complaint was on file at Ducati in addition to my contact with the dealership.

A few days later I received a call from the service manager at the dealership telling me that the tank would be covered under the emissions warranty and that he would be ordering me a new tank and would call me to come for installation once it arrived. 

I think there are a few important things to keep in mind if you’re dealing with this problem yourself.

First, document the problem with photos from the beginning and as the problem progresses. Also make notes as to what happened to the tank and when. Keep a strong file of the problem and it’s progression in case you need to present it to someone in the future. 
Second, contact your local dealership and try to work with them. Be polite and patient, they are your conduit to Ducati NA. Ducati will not do anything directly with you so your relationship with the dealership is critical.
Third, contact Ducati yourself and let them know you’ve been in contact with a specific dealership. Let them know who you spoke to there and what the result of the conversation was.
Forth, print out a copy of this post from the forum and give it to the service manager at your dealership in case he should say he “knows nothing about this type of problem.”

If you should encounter a dealership where they won’t be willing to help you, let Ducati know that, and let them know you are aware that this is not an issue isolated to your bike. But don’t be a dick about it… It seems like for the time being the bikes that are being covered are all going under the emissions warranty and that means there has to be a defect in the tank that can cause a mechanical problem, not just cosmetic defects. Don’t make up stuff that’s wrong, it will have to be verified by a dealership and if you do you will destroy any chance you have of having it covered in the future. Be honest, patient and co-operative and I would be willing to bet that you’ll get it taken care of too.

I know what ruined America, the fu@k*ng Americans !!!
extra330

« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »

Today while filling up the tank I noticed what looks like tiny air bubbles on the bottom of the tank between the (I guess) the liner and the "meat" of the tank.  I know they've been there for a long time but for whatever reason I never though anything of it.  The bubbles are at the largest the size of a standard sized ball point pen clicker. The bottom of the tank is SOFT Shocked in the area right around each bubble. I used a blunt probe to gently push on one and was suprised to see it push in a little bit.  If I  wanted to I bet I could've pushed a sharp pick right though the bottom although for all I know it was only soft for .10mm.  Roll Eyes

IMHO this points to a membrane failure and ethenol seeping into the structure of the tank causing it to swell.

Has anyone read about one of them starting to leak?

I would love to cut one of these babies in half!

Mike

84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »

It is not uncommon for bubbles to form along the inside of a rotationally molded product. Is the plastic "soft" only in the bubble and/or far away from the bubble? It would make sense to me if the bubble seemed soft, as nylon isn't a rigid material (which is why it is good for fuel tanks -- less prone to cracking).

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: