Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 16, 2024, 02:22:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109560 times)
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »

Crap. I need a replacement worse than I thought.  The tank keeps expanding.  I now can't get the steering lock to work and the tank is now rubbing on the key area.  It has already rubbed through the paint and will make a hole eventually......

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »

I am going to set up a list of folks who are having problems, if there are enough people, we can contact ducati directly as a group... or something else.

http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=25074.0
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:59:53 AM by ducatizzzz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
MAXdB

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2009, 11:55:17 AM »

I am going to set up a list of folks who are having problems, if there are enough people, we can contact ducati directly as a group... or something else.

That would be great... cut out the middle man.. go directly to the source.
Tekneek

« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2009, 12:26:14 PM »

I definitely have to make some calls. Not only is my tank expanding but I'm leaking small amounts of fuel continuously from the overflow line. I'm positive that plastic tube that runs from the cap area to the nipple at the bottom right has a small crack/pinhole in it.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2009, 12:38:41 PM »

I definitely have to make some calls. Not only is my tank expanding but I'm leaking small amounts of fuel continuously from the overflow line. I'm positive that plastic tube that runs from the cap area to the nipple at the bottom right has a small crack/pinhole in it.

check the sticky on this section for a signup list

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »

My new tank is in Grin  Just gotta make an appt. and get it down there.  I have a feeling that more guys will be getting new tanks.  Let's hope so!   
MAXdB

« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »

I just got back from my local dealership and they took a couple pics and said they should have an answer in about three weeks.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »

I just got back from my local dealership and they took a couple pics and said they should have an answer in about three weeks.

regardless, get on the list.. see the sticky at the top of the section

J.P.

« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »

regardless, get on the list.. see the sticky at the top of the section

Absolutely- some of the Sport Classic owners have the same problem with their Third tank.

ps- 3 weeks? Why not make it an even month. laughingdp Took them only 2 weeks to deny my claim, and I can't even open my tank anymore.

once again- Thanks Ducatizzzz!

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #174 on: June 17, 2009, 05:37:44 PM »

Going in Saturday morning for the new tank.  I will try and get more info. for you guys on what Ducati is doing about it. 
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »

The new tank is on and looks good waytogo  Looks just like the original as far as workmanship.  I really don't think they have made them different even with all these problems.  We'll see how long this one lasts without deforming. 
exertus

« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2009, 03:08:55 AM »

Took the bike to the dealer and they took pictures.  Front latch is tight between tank and ignition switch.  Side mounts between tank and frame are way off.  Rippling at knees.  And the fork/triple hit the tank now at full turn.  (don't think I should adjust the steering stops just to avoid an expanding tank.) 

Bought this 07 S2R in 12/06 and have 18,000 miles.  I ride yearly.  Even in the winter I ride at least twice a month just to keep the gas fresh. 

Wish me luck. 
J.P.

« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »

Cool- still, don't forget to sign up. If the new tank lasts 2 years like most, and you got the bike in 06, you'll be out of the 5yr. emissions warrenty = S.O.L.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »

As of yesterday my tank looked fine.  It's an 07 S4RS bought new in November of 07 and, I'm ashamed to admit, only has about 3700 miles on the clock.

Now, the matte red Jet-Hot header coating is flaking off up near the exhaust ports.  That stinks, but the tank seems fine.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

DirtDiva
vroommmmm

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »

06 s2r 1k
15500 miles

i thought it was just me, but when i lock the bars the plastic hits the tank, and or when i turn right the bars hit the tank,

we've adjusted the steering stops a few times, up in the mountains and now it needs to be adjusted again.
At least i know our adjustments didn't just "back out"

Loving every minute of it!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: