Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 03:47:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109647 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »

why are some tanks being replaced but not others?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2009, 04:49:13 AM »

Obviously all I can do is make some guesses ans assumptions.  I assume Ducati is doing this on a case by case basis depending on how bad the tank is and if the distortion could be a safety hazard.  I also assume at this point Ducati has no solution to this problem and does not want to replace serviceable tanks with new tanks that may develop the same problem. Since the link to you and Ducati is the dealer, I also assume whether you get the new tank is somewhat dependent on how well the dealer presents your case and how good their relationship is with DNA.  So much for guesses, these are all assumtions cheeky
woppini
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2009, 11:26:57 AM »

Picked up the bike 2 weeks ago, with a new tank. The best part too is, any new scratches will be from me, lol. To all those that are struggling to get yours done, DO IT. This falls under the emission control warranty. Look in the owners manual, but i think its 5 years or 18,000 miles. The reason that dealers will give you the run around is they dont want to take a chance replacing the tank and getting denied the claim through DNA since its out of the standard warranty. Like i mentioned earlier, find a problem with the tank besides the aesthetics (dimples, warping). If its pinching against the ignition switch, it can rub through the tank, maybe cause a leak. Will this happen? dunno, Will the tank mounting shift and rub in other areas? dunno either. but you must make it known to them its a safety related issue because its holding fuel, not seated right, and is rubbing.. Tell them to fix it. Show them the owners manual where it states the warranty. Have them (the dealer) prove to you that the fuel tank is NOT an emission related part. You have something in writing FROM Ducati in that manual that says it is- specifically  page 81, and 82 for the S2R800. Its SOME of the dealers that are giving you the bend over treatment, not DNA
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:28:36 AM by woppini » Logged
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »

I still have hope.  My dealer's parts manager was at the WSBK races this weekend and was able to talk to a Ducati rep. there about my particular tank issues and he told me that he thinks he was a able to convince them to replace my tank. I'll know by June 10th he said.  We shall see Undecided  I will push this as much as possible.  Whether Ducati has a fix or not the tanks should be replaced. 
MAXdB

« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »

Just called a couple duc dealerships in my area to get a feel for how they will handle the tank problem and the service manager for one (very big dealer here) tells me straight off the bat that he has never seen a tank expand, never replaced a tank for that reason and furthermore that "it is probably because of the something you've done like wheelies and such". I feel that particular dealership may be a waste of time.. pity that's the place I bought my bike. I did have another dealership say they are willing to take a look at it but this definitely seems like it will not be easy. I'll keep you posted..
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »

Just called a couple duc dealerships in my area to get a feel for how they will handle the tank problem and the service manager for one (very big dealer here) tells me straight off the bat that he has never seen a tank expand, never replaced a tank for that reason and furthermore that "it is probably because of the something you've done like wheelies and such". I feel that particular dealership may be a waste of time.. pity that's the place I bought my bike. I did have another dealership say they are willing to take a look at it but this definitely seems like it will not be easy. I'll keep you posted..

what the make the beast with two backs would wheelies have to do with a tank expanding?

i wonder how many other bikes have plastic tanks before 2005/06?  Any?  How many could this guy have seen?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »

not seeing things is easy when your eyes are closed

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »

not seeing things is easy when your eyes are closed

or your air is cut off because your sphincter is around your neck

SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »

I just got a phone call from my Ducati dealership in Vegas from a mechanic and he told me Ducati approved my new tank under the emissions warranty.  It is being ordered now and just waiting now for whenever it ships Grin  What a great phone call!  I'll update when it comes in and installed.  It really helps to have a good relationship with your dealer and then have them not be intimidated to push the issue forward.  BUT..... Until I have the new tank on my bike my fingers will still be crossed.  I hope other dealerships will play along as well by knowing these faulty manufactured tanks are actually being replaced under the emissions warranty.     
nikkimonster

« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2009, 06:23:05 AM »

4400 miles and counting...no problems so far.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2009, 06:24:44 AM »

4400 miles and counting...no problems so far.

open the latch and close the tank.. check clearance on the rubber stops.  i thought mine was fine and then i actually looked and the stops are about half inch forward of their original location on the frame.

arai_speed
« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »

I got a new tank from my dealer under the 5 year emissions warranty.  First I spoke to the service rep at my local dealer, service rep said they would try the "good will" route but that it was not a guarantee.  2 or 3 weeks passed and no word from my dealer so I called up DNA my self to inquire about the issue (fit/distortion, etc):

DNA Phone: 408-253-0499 (Hours: 8 to 5 PT)

Rep at DNA said that I needed to contact my dealer and ask them to submit a claim.  I gave her the name of the dealership I had spoken with and she knew of them, said they were good at following up and that I should call them back, etc.

I then called my dealer and asked about the status of my tank under the "good will" replacement, service rep said claim had been denied.   I then informed them that I had spoken to DNA and that DNA said to call them as they were good at following up, etc.  Service guy took down my info (again) and said he would resubmit the claim.

One day later I got a call from my local dealership saying my tank replacement was approved and that they would call me when it was in. 

I got the new tank installed last week.  From beginning to end the whole process took about 2 1/2 months.

For those of you that are having problems getting a replacement, I would suggest you pick up the phone and dial the # I provided.  Then when they suggest you talk to your local dealership ask them which one they recommend for your area.  If they say, "any approved Duc dealership" tell them about the experiences you've had and start name dropping.

Good luck!  chug
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 01:37:17 PM by arai_speed » Logged
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »

+1  Keep on top of it.
woppini
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »

Good job guys! squeaky wheel gets the lube!... er, uhm... yeah thats it!
J.P.

« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2009, 03:04:40 PM »

I've just read about Sport Classic guys on their 3rd tank. Atleast they're all getting re-designed tanks- someday. Haven't heard much about the monsters.
This sucks. Wish I never started the thread.
I'm gonna file a complaint w/ the Gubment.
That's right: I'm writing a Letter!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:07:43 PM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: