Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 05:55:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109263 times)
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2009, 04:32:22 AM »

will anyone who gets a new tank coat the inside before putting in gas?

is there any reason to think that would not help or otherwise be a problem?
I don't think coatings will stick.

They'll come loose in one big sheet IMO.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2009, 05:06:05 AM »

I don't think coatings will stick.

They'll come loose in one big sheet IMO.

and that would suck

dammit  bang head

i just hope ducati isn't replacing them wit hthe same damn tanks.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2009, 05:17:31 AM »

Ducati will warranty the tank under its emission control. Which i believe is 12,000 miles or 5 years. But it all lies within your dealer to see if they really care. My dealer is over an hour away, and my new tank is on its way to be installed (my bike is out of the standard warranty). Will it warp again? dunno, probably. But hey, a new tank is still a new tank.

do you (or anyone else who has had success getting the tank replaced) have any documentation which might assist the rest of us in getting this resolved? something official from DNA would be awsome waytogo

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
J.P.

« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:10 AM »

Diddo- like I said- my dealer supposedly contact them and documented on my service sheet that there is nothing they will do.
The service rep did however say that the DNA rep seldom answers his e-mails from him. Prob been busy replacing all the Sport Classics! I read DNA said they are getting re-designed tanks sometime in '09, haven't heard of this for monsters. Anyone?
Maybe putting it off till the 5yr emissions warrenty to expire.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »

seems to me putting together a formal contact list of people with tank problems is in order.

DNA getting a letter from an attorney with the list of several hundred owners might change their tune.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
woppini
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

do you (or anyone else who has had success getting the tank replaced) have any documentation which might assist the rest of us in getting this resolved? something official from DNA would be awsome waytogo
I will check on that when I pick up my bike.
woppini
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »

update 5-9-09
Havent got the bike back yet, but the tank should be here by the end of the week. From what I understand, if your going to inquire about a new tank, mention the fitment issue. Seems Duc wont warranty on the exterior problems alone if the bike is out of warranty. FIND a dealer that will take care of you, even if its a couple hour drive. They will take pics, and submit it. Make sure they concentrate on pics that show the pinching against the key lock, and the rubber pucks that dont rest where they should. Will the new tank solve the issue? Probably not. The reasons are still on the fence whether its a flaw in materials, the ethanol in CA fuels, etc. What I do know is that my plastic tank on my chain saw and weed eater are as good as new, and Ive had those for 10 years. 
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »

. What I do know is that my plastic tank on my chain saw and weed eater are as good as new, and Ive had those for 10 years. 

interesting point (i also have plastic tanks on my mower and weedeater) but i've not tried to measure them and they don't get R&R'ed very much (not at all really)..  i took the gas tank off my mower to put a new pull cord on it, but the tank slides in and out of a loose metal track.   it might have expanded and i'd never know.

different from a motorcycle gas tank that gets opened semi-frequently and must be opened regularly for maintenance.... 

herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »

heat+plastic+lubricant(gas)+vibration..........

woppini
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

heat+plastic+lubricant(gas)+vibration..........
perfect chain saw fuel tank environment  Wink
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »

Well, I also just went to my local Ducati dealer here in Vegas and they wrote up an RO and took a bunch of pics of my tank.  I'll keep you guys updated as well.  Crossin my fingers.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »

perfect chain saw fuel tank environment  Wink

good point. i have been working with saws professionally for about 15 years, and i did think of that. but i doubt that the fuel tanks on stihl or husky are made from the same stuff as the ducati tanks.

OverCaffeinated

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2009, 09:22:06 AM »

I've got an 06 S2R 800, 5k miles.

Tank has:
Waves on right side.
Hits left bar.
Latch is almost impossible to get on and off.
Don't know about frame mounts, but I'll check.
SoCal Gas?

Just got off the phone with a dealer in SoCal. Service guy says the only thing they can do is try a "Goodwill" warranty claim. They would take some pics and send them to their DNA rep, then wait for decision. My guess is your tank has to be pretty bad.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:23:51 PM by OverCaffeinated » Logged
J.P.

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »

In the past week, now the triple hits on the right side of the tank as well. The tank clasp is now pushing on the ign switch housing. Another pimple appeared on the rt. top of the tank.

The dealer said they moved the tank back on the mounts(left bar still hit) when it was in a few weeks ago, but DNA wasn't much help otherwise. Is it worth contacting DNA directly/sending pics? Going the dealer route didn't seem to help.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
SikDuc
07 S4Rs

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »

Well..... My dealer basically said since my bike is out of the standard warranty, my tank is not covered  Roll Eyes  There are obviously issues with a lot of tanks.  I was hoping for a "goodwill" warranty claim but it didn't happen.  What to do............. 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: