Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 11:53:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109617 times)
Two dogs
S2R1000 gives me a warm feeling in my

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »

Heres one for plastic tank  waytogo
I had just cleaned my bike and was distracted by my daughter and on wheeling it into its usual spot and must of not set the stand correctly
also the front wheel was sitting on top of the chain that I use to lock it up .
The bike must of rolled forward off the chain , kick stand flicked up and over she went.
I turned around from talking to my daughter to see the bike had fallen over and was leaning on a small stone retaining wall at 45o angle missed the frame sliders  WITH THE FULL WEIGHT ON THE TANK bang head
AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!
The plastic tank with very little fuel in it had flexed enough on impact to leave NO damage just small graze the size of a match head.
I would guess that a metal tank would of dented.
Very lucky ,
but not looking forward to the bad stuff talked about above as here in Australia this summer
we have had many days over 104 f with my bike sitting in the sun at work.
Craig Thomas

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »

Where's the choice for:

X - Paint scratches easily.  Undecided

Tank has scuffs from my pants hugging it.   coffee
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »

Where's the choice for:

X - Paint scratches easily.  Undecided

Tank has scuffs from my pants hugging it.   coffee

That happens on ALL monster tanks, regardless of sub material.

mitt

krista
... does she have a

ducati addict

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »

FWIW, the OEM tanks are nylon, a form of plastic. I've been told by rotomolder industry folks that nylon absorbs gasoline and that's why they are expanding. I have no knowledge of the tank having multiple layers, however, this is something which is possible (although improbable in rotational molding). They call it double dip or double shot. Normally applies to blow molding (I believe, not 100% certain).

Legislature and plastics industry folks are working on bringing fuel vapor emissions to the lowest level possible, approaching that of metal tanks. There have been a lot of interesting discussions I have come across. There's hope on the horizon for PEX becoming nearly non-permeable. Now it's a matter for the chemists and rotomolders to figure out how to bring it to production "easily" and at reasonable cost.

Best of luck to everyone. I haven't even looked at the OEM tank on my S2R 800...

- Chris

Krista Kelley ... autist formerly known as chris
official nerd for ca-cycleworks.com
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2009, 05:32:03 AM »

Chris has enough experience now to be considered the resident expert on plastic tanks.  waytogo

If they are nylon and nylon absorbs fuel, I wonder if that's the reason the finishes on the plastic tanks are so soft (reported by several) and there are some adhesion problems. (witnessed by me)

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

J.P.

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »

Looks like DNA is honoring the replacement tanks under the 5 yr. emissions warrenty, according to a guy on the Sport Classics page.
Anyone have any luck with this for a Monster?
Just noticed dents behind my frame bumpers, and the clip is nearly impossible to disengage the tank now. Lower triple is banging the tank worse each ride.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Scottish
Balls!

That's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy!

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »

Looks like DNA is honoring the replacement tanks under the 5 yr. emissions warrenty, according to a guy on the Sport Classics page.
Anyone have any luck with this for a Monster?
Just noticed dents behind my frame bumpers, and the clip is nearly impossible to disengage the tank now. Lower triple is banging the tank worse each ride.

Use the adjustment screws to keep the triples off the tank. They are on the bottom of the steering neck, you need and allen wrench and a 13mm wrench.

You can thank a soldier today, just click the link...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html
arai_speed
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2009, 09:52:20 AM »

I called up my local dealership and they said DNA denied my claim to have the tank replaced under the 5 year EPA warranty as my issues are only cosmetic.

The service rep is a really nice guy and he is going to try submitting it again to see what happens.

We'll see.  coffee
pennyrobber

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »

My tank was replaced today under a goodwill warrantee. Big thanks to Ducati Superstore here in Phoenix, awesome shop!
It seems in talking about the problem with the tachs and others, many people are trying to get replacements with tanks that have minor cosmetic defects like small bumps or mild waviness. DNA has been quick to replace sport classic tanks because the deformation of the tanks is causing the the mounting system to no longer work properly. This is an issue they obviously have to address. In my case the tank was at the point to which the latch was no longer operable and the rubber tanks pads were barely on the frame. It was no longer a cosmetic issue and thus the tank was replaced. It sucks that it has to get to that point before you have a realistic shot at a replacement but thats life. I waited so long because I figured as long as it holds gas, ride it.  [moto]

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »

My tank was replaced today under a goodwill warrantee. Big thanks to Ducati Superstore here in Phoenix, awesome shop!
It seems in talking about the problem with the tachs and others, many people are trying to get replacements with tanks that have minor cosmetic defects like small bumps or mild waviness. DNA has been quick to replace sport classic tanks because the deformation of the tanks is causing the the mounting system to no longer work properly. This is an issue they obviously have to address. In my case the tank was at the point to which the latch was no longer operable and the rubber tanks pads were barely on the frame. It was no longer a cosmetic issue and thus the tank was replaced. It sucks that it has to get to that point before you have a realistic shot at a replacement but thats life. I waited so long because I figured as long as it holds gas, ride it.  [moto]

how bad was it?  do you have pics?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
pennyrobber

« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »

how bad was it?  do you have pics?

I didn't take any pictures of the latch or tank pads but I can tell you that the latch was smashed against the ignition so bad that the tank could not be without the effort of two people and some serious force and putting back down actually required unbolting of parts. The tank pads were spread far enough that I could stick my finger in the grove where the frame should actually be. The tech at the shop actually told me it was the worst one he had seen. The seat was also becoming increasingly difficult to put on as the tank was pushing back against it.

This is the only picture I have that really shows the deformation. Note the knee cutout on the S2R in the middle.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »

I didn't take any pictures of the latch or tank pads but I can tell you that the latch was smashed against the ignition so bad that the tank could not be without the effort of two people and some serious force and putting back down actually required unbolting of parts.

the latch on mine is pressed against the ignition pretty hard right now.  i can squeeze it in still but it's friggin tight.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »

^^ at least you don't have to worry about it being loose?

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Paegelow

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »

Wow I just found this thread...  My tank is doing the same thing.  The pads are barely touching the frame and i can barely operate the latch.  I'll have to talk to the dealer and see if they know anything.

For the record:
2007 M695
6600 miles
tank pad still installed
Located in Wisconsin (10% ethanol)
Gus Duc

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

Same here....... new tank on the way waytogo

I have the same problems as mentioned above & my bike was delivered with the tank all the way back on the hindge so it becomes a safety/maintence issue as by next month I don't think my original tank will close without hitting the ignition thus making the latch useless.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: