Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 12:42:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109256 times)
PizzaMonster

2007 S2R800

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »

It will be a few more weeks before I can dig mine out of winter storage and look at it closely.  If the poll is still open then I will take a look and report.  Truth be told..it's always been a bit of a pain to lock back in place but I don't think its deformed yet. 

In other news...... I just noticed a new sticker on the pump at my regular filling station that now reads, "May contain up to 10% ethanol".  Here we go. Roll Eyes

The Ducati Monster Forum - Time Well Wasted  :-)
arai_speed
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

In other news...... I just noticed a new sticker on the pump at my regular filling station that now reads, "May contain up to 10% ethanol".  Here we go. Roll Eyes

Yup - that's what I've seen here in SoCal.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

the boat guys use StarTron or Stabil-Marine to protect against E10 problems. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
lawbreaker

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »

06 S2R1K

Tank is longer & wider.  Bars hit tank but lock still works.  Pad on right side barely touchs the frame.

16,000 miles.  Tank pad still in place.

Fuel quality............ who knows here in So Cal Huh?

same year,same bike......

2nd tank now after warranty replacement due to dimpling on right side.....

Now this tank is starting to dimple/ripple on the left side and the right side tank pad barely touches the frame... bang head
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »

Dear Mr. Xi He,

Thank you for contacting Ducati North America.

We are sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing with your Ducati S2R 1000.  Due to the complex nature of technical issues a proper diagnosis cannot be made, via email, by Ducati Customer Service.  In order to ensure that the concerns with your S2R 1000 are properly diagnosed, and to determine if this fuel tank concern is covered under the 5 year emissions warranty,  it is necessary to have your motorcycle inspected by an authorized Ducati dealership.  To find your nearest Authorized Dealership, please visit http://www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator" or call us toll free at 1-800-231-6696 and follow the voice prompts.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 04:25:46 AM »

Dear Mr. Xi He,

We are sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing with your Ducati S2R 1000.  Due to the bullshit nature of technical issues a proper diagnosis cannot be made, via email, by Ducati Customer Service, nor will we even try.  In order to ensure that the concerns with your S2R 1000 are properly ignored, and to determine if this fuel tank concern is covered under the 5 year emissions warranty or if you have to sue us,  it is necessary to have your motorcycle inspected by an authorized Ducati dealership.  To find your nearest Authorized Dealership, please visit http://www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator" or call us toll free at 1-800-231-6696 and follow the voice prompts.

Best regards,

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
J.P.

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »

Wow- hate it when they tell you that your aren't qualified to tell your bike is f-ed up.

Also- interresting read on Ducati.ms Sport Classics site. After some 18 members filled out the complaint form on the US Gov't highway safety site, several inspectors were sent out to inspect some of the bikes. One of whom ownes a paul smart ed.
Dna has been replacing their tanks on expired warrenty bikes since atleast December. Didn't read the whole thread as its 22 pp. But their poll results are almost identical to ours.
Bottom line- it will eventually happen to every tank- so they say.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 08:31:22 AM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »

Dear Mr. Xi He,

We are sorry to learn of the concern you are experiencing with your Ducati S2R 1000.  Due to the complex nature of technical issues a proper diagnosis cannot be made, via email, by Ducati Customer Service.  In order to ensure that the concerns with your S2R 1000 are properly diagnosed, and to determine if this fuel tank concern is covered under the 5 year emissions warranty,  it is necessary to have your motorcycle inspected by an authorized Ducati dealership.  To find your nearest Authorized Dealership, please visit http://www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator" or call us toll free at 1-800-231-6696 and follow the voice prompts.

Best regards,

I got the exact same form letter when I contacted them.  I then called my local dealer and they contacted DNA.  DNA told them no dice on a warranty as the tank expansion is my fault.  I obviously can't keep my vent line clean and all the pressure has the tank all bloated  Roll Eyes

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »

I got the exact same form letter when I contacted them.  I then called my local dealer and they contacted DNA.  DNA told them no dice on a warranty as the tank expansion is my fault.  I obviously can't keep my vent line clean and all the pressure has the tank all bloated  Roll Eyes

how the make the beast with two backs is tank expansion your fault?Huh?

does the owner's manual say aythign about keeping your vent line clean?  if not, they are full of shit.

angler
my dangling

'05 S2R 800 Dark

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

Yeah. Exactly.  I may try a different dealer....

996 forks, BoomTubes, frame sliders, CRG bar-end mirrors, vizitech integrated tail light, rizoma front turn signals, rizoma grips, cycle cat multistrada clip ons, pantah belt covers - more to come

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken
J.P.

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »

This worked for the Sport Classic guys- the investigators even reviewed the related posts on the Ducati.ms board. The Man did respond and is aware of the tank issue on SC's- I saw no complaints filed for monsters.
Has anyone had any good news from DNA before we make this a safety issue and involve the authorities? If not I'll send mine in tonight.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:04:45 AM by J.P. » Logged

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »

bump on this... anyone heard anything? i just noticed my tank is getting a little 'off' on the one frame pad, and the latch is impossible to use without a screwdriver (or my girlfriends tiny fingers)...

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »

i may need to change my vote......

the latch on mine seems to have "moved" closer to the keyswitch...  it was almost impossible to get closed.

skurvy

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »

06 S2R Dark
Shell 89 w/ethanol
2nd tank
with tank pad
ripples on top/sides
USA Mid Atlantic

I'm on my second tank now. First one was changed out by the dealer under warranty around 12,xxx miles. I'm now at 21,xxx miles and the 2nd tank is now also showing some defects. After reading this thread I contacted DNA to see what could be done. All they said was, "refer to your owners manual under the emissions section". I tried to explain and they just replied with the same answer.

(taken from p. 83 of the Owner's Manual)
Ducati limited warranty on emission control system

Ducati North America, Inc, warrants that each new 1998 and later Ducati motorcycle, that includes as standard equipment a headlight, tail-light and stoplight, and is street legal:
...is free from defects in material and workmanship which cause such motorcycle to fail to conform with applicable regulations of the United States Environment Agency or the California Air Resources Board for a period of use depending on the engine displacement of 12,000 kilometers (7,456 miles), if the motorcycle's engine displacement is less than 170 cubic centimeters; 18,000 kilometers (11,185 miles), if the motorcycle's engine displacement is equal to or greater than 170 cubic centimeters but less than 280 cubic centimeters; or of 30,000 kilometers (18,641 miles), if the motorcycle's engine displacement is 280 cubic centimeters or greater; or 5 (five) years from the date of initial retail delivery, whichever first occurs.

I guess I'll stop by the dealer next week to see what they say. i doubt I'll get another tank replaced under warranty.

Duck-Stew
Local Moderator

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »

My g/f (River) has an '06 620 with the plastic tank.  Bike had gone down lightly w/the previous owner on it and someone did another paint job on the stock tank.  Don't know if that will affect the warranty replacement but it shouldn't given the amount of complaints and the *same* phenominon happening with ALL of our tanks!!!

2006 620 w/9K miles
bought and ran in SoCal on 87 octane from various stations
runs with the tank pad
stock latch that does hit the ignition switch
*both* tank mounting pads to frame are splayed out (right side worse but not by too much)
ripples in the right side flat of the tank forward of the seat and behind the tank bulge.

I had an '06 S2R1K last year for a short while and it had the same....damn....issues.  Roll Eyes

DNA has *got* to do something about this....

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: