Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109247 times)
pennyrobber

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 11:29:13 AM »

Maybe we should file a complaint w/ the NHTSA.gov site like the sport classic guys did.
They all seem to be getting new tanks.

Man those sport classic guys are cry babies.  Cry

Grin

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »

Maybe we should file a complaint w/ the NHTSA.gov site like the sport classic guys did.
They all seem to be getting new tanks.

To me, if any of this tank deformation can be proven to cause a gas leak near hot or electrical parts, the NHTSA would slam dunk it.

mitt

J.P.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

To me, if any of this tank deformation can be proven to cause a gas leak near hot or electrical parts, the NHTSA would slam dunk it.

mitt
God forbid.
Don't feel like seeing the Ghost Rides on a Duc.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Old-Duckman

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 03:08:14 PM »

So according to the poll, about 1/3 are not having problems. 2/3s with some degree of problem is a huge number, you would think that Ducati would just about have to do something. The Sport Classic bikes having their tanks replaced  is encouraging.

Slightly different question here. I bought a used plastic tank from a guy on the list, got a good price and planned to just do a different paint scheme on if for when the mood struck for a different look...Anyway I am now wondering if there is any product like POR-15 or Kreem that might work as a treatment to avoid problems with the extra tank?
Ivan

Turn 3 at Streets of Willow

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 04:08:49 PM »

Maybe this belongs in a separate thread/poll, but another post got me to thinking:

Of those that are having problems, how many have removed the insulation pad from the underside of the tank?

Sold: 2007 S2R1000 for canyon carving and commuting - DP ECU, PCIII, BMC air filter with open box, Zard full exhaust, Race-tech fork internals, Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske 8987 triple clicker

2000 996XU (extra ugly) for track days - BST carbon wheels, Ohlins shock, reworked fork, FBF exhaust, and a bunch of megacycle rocker arms. The rest of it is junk - Hey, I'm just happy that it runs...

Sold: 2002 Aprilia RST1000 for touring - De-restricted airbox, Taylormade Racing exhaust
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

Maybe this belongs in a separate thread/poll, but another post got me to thinking:

Of those that are having problems, how many have removed the insulation pad from the underside of the tank?

pad still there.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »

i have no problems and i removed the acoustic pad.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »

So according to the poll, about 1/3 are not having problems. 2/3s with some degree of problem is a huge number, you would think that Ducati would just about have to do something. The Sport Classic bikes having their tanks replaced  is encouraging.

Slightly different question here. I bought a used plastic tank from a guy on the list, got a good price and planned to just do a different paint scheme on if for when the mood struck for a different look...Anyway I am now wondering if there is any product like POR-15 or Kreem that might work as a treatment to avoid problems with the extra tank?
Is the problem fuel...or heat related? Wink

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

needtorque

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 06:28:39 PM »

Guys a suggestion here too.  When saying whether you have the problem or not you should list the following.

Model year
Fuel (with/without corn Grin)
Original tank or not
With/without undertank pad
If distortion has occurred and where
Region of the country (or world)

Who insures the FDIC?
Gus Duc

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »

06 S2R1K

Tank is longer & wider.  Bars hit tank but lock still works.  Pad on right side barely touchs the frame.

16,000 miles.  Tank pad still in place.

Fuel quality............ who knows here in So Cal Huh?
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 05:43:08 AM »

not so sure about por-15 + plastic.
that stuff is best for bare metal application.
also, if it's classic por-15 (and not a top coat like their Black-Kote system), then it's also UV sensitive as well. It will start to look shitty after some hard time in sunlight.

on the other hand, my dad has made patch panels for small holes in the trunk floor of 69 pontiac with POR-15 soaked strips of a cloth... works great.
the stuff is bullet proof.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 06:33:10 AM »

also, if it's classic por-15 (and not a top coat like their Black-Kote system), then it's also UV sensitive as well. It will start to look shitty after some hard time in sunlight.

how much sunlight does the inside of your gas tank get??

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
fasterblkduc

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:40 AM »

My 1986 Ford Ranger diesel's prior (and first) owner converted it to run WVO in 1989 or 90 and he put 280k miles on it driving to McDonalds every week to fill up.  I can burn either SVO or regular petrodiesel with no problems, I just have to add antigel and antibacterial to the SVO.

It has a Mitsubishi 4D55T engine with the original factory seal on it (same rings, valves, etc etc) just replaced the injectors, belts and normal maintenance.

I know some diesel engines have issues with vege oil, but not all do.

Don't forget that Rudolf Diesel designed his engine to run peanut oil. 

That's very cool and don't get me wrong, not every situation is the same. You can get by with it on some older engines like yours and it looks like yours was  broken in before the conversion. On new engines, forget about it. In fact a lot of new diesels have issues with all fuels because of the extremely tight tolerances in engine manufacturing. Trying these alternative fuels on a new engine is a guaranteed disaster.
Trust me, my job is growing because of these issues.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
J.P.

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:13 AM »

I have a dimple on the top rt. side of my tank. exactly like the two on the left cut-outs, in the ripples. Latch barely scrapes by the ign switch, and its widening.
June 06 s2r 1k w/ 4200 miles. Mostly stock.
Tank probs appeared this past fall all of a sudden.
Loc: VA.
Lives under cover, but outside.
Fuel- you can only get corn stuff here. 
Paint on the right engine case bubbling bad. Rear brake looses bleed every 4 months. If it wasn't so much fun to ride- I'd dump it.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
arai_speed
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »

Fuel quality............ who knows here in So Cal Huh?

From what I have seen - most carry around 10% ethanol.

My stats:

Model year: S4RS/2007
Fuel (with/without corn) 10% ethanol
Original tank or not: Original
With/without undertank pad: With
If distortion has occurred and where: Yes - right side front, right side mid, right side lower
Region of the country (or world): SoCal

When I took the bike in I noticed 3 spots, a new one has appeared since then  Sad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: