Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109267 times)
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 11:44:44 PM »

Can`t see mine it`s under the plastic skins Huh?

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
J.P.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »

plastic tanks have a bladder liner that is SUPPOSED to be impervious to ethanol....

I would have never guessed.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 09:42:55 AM »

seems to me that you could re-coat or supplementally coat the inside of a plastic tank easily.  I wonder if POR or Hirsch's coatings will adhere?

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »

plastic tanks have a bladder liner <snip>l....
I hate to say this...

but...

...cough...bullshit...cough. Ever looked inside one?

The Duc tanks supplied by Acerbis are purported (meaning I have no quotable source) to be multi layers of different types of plastic. The inner being more resilient to fuel and the outer being more readily paintable. It makes sense to me as the things are almost a 1/4 " thick.

But what do I know?

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

I hate to say this...

but...

...cough...bullshit...cough. Ever looked inside one?

The Duc tanks supplied by Acerbis are purported (meaning I have no quotable source) to be multi layers of different types of plastic. The inner being more resilient to fuel and the outer being more readily paintable. It makes sense to me as the things are almost a 1/4 " thick.

But what do I know?

maybe "bladder" isn't the right word for it as i thought it to be permanently adhered to the inside surface -- put adhesive inside, put a balloon like thing in and inflate it so it is in contact, then leave it overnight, voila, cut the ends off...

but anything is possible, i would imagine they've even changed since they were started

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 07:01:28 PM »

maybe "bladder" isn't the right word for it as i thought it to be permanently adhered to the inside surface -- put adhesive inside, put a balloon like thing in and inflate it so it is in contact, then leave it overnight, voila, cut the ends off...

but anything is possible, i would imagine they've even changed since they were started
It really looks like raw plastic inside.

No other materials involved.

perspective
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »

It really looks like raw plastic inside.

No other materials involved.

i wonder if they've done some tweaking on them..

mine has a funky bit of "skin" looking material that goes under the filler assy.  it is separated a little at the top, but it looks like it is pretty stuck to the inside, if it is a separate piece.

mine is an early '05 S2R, which i believe was the first ones that got them...

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 04:48:20 AM »

i wonder if they've done some tweaking on them..

mine has a funky bit of "skin" looking material that goes under the filler assy.  it is separated a little at the top, but it looks like it is pretty stuck to the inside, if it is a separate piece.

mine is an early '05 S2R, which i believe was the first ones that got them...
I don't remember the years of the ones I've done.

What color is the material you're referring to?

perspective

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 05:12:21 AM »

I don't remember the years of the ones I've done.

What color is the material you're referring to?

it's white

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 05:20:59 AM »

it's white
From what I've seen on the insides I think you're seeing a molding 'flash' (for lack of a better term)

perspective

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 05:26:50 AM »

From what I've seen on the insides I think you're seeing a molding 'flash' (for lack of a better term)

molding flash wouldn't peel, this stuff peeled when i pulled a little on it, but it didn't tear...it has a different texture than the tank where it seems to attach.

ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:49 AM »

molding flash wouldn't peel, this stuff peeled when i pulled a little on it, but it didn't tear...it has a different texture than the tank where it seems to attach.
Hmmm...

maybe you're right...they tweaked them a little to make them cheaper better...yeah that's it. Tongue

perspective

fasterblkduc

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:11 AM »

I work in Reasearch and Development with fuel filtration. I'm what you might call an expert regarding fuel filtration. I can tell you from the work that I've done and research that I've done regarding all types of bio fuels, that they are pure junk. In fact, I'm starting a new project with biodiesel next week that I'm not looking forward to Tongue
It's great that alternative fuels are being developed but I could go on all day about the issues that most all of these fuels are known for. Filtering bio fuels, especially water seperation, is such a huge challenge that it is a nightmare for filter companies. Since politics is driving the market towards the use of bio fuels, (politics, not demand) it creates an opportunity to figure out how to filter this garbage.
I don't want to go political with this, I just wanted to say that I'm more aware of the issues that these fuels bring than the average person and I can't stand the fact that it is being forced on us. These bio fuels cost more to produce, are much less efficient, some polute more, grow organisms much faster, bond very well with water, and just plain wreak havoc with engines in a nasty variety of ways.
The pasted article about boat motors and tanks does not surprise me at all. The issues with plastic motorcycle tanks does not surprise me either. I try my best to spread the word about the harmful effects of biofuels. I can't give up much technical info since I'm in R&D (and typing this from work Roll Eyes), but I can say that it's bad stuff, and everyone should be very concerned that we are forced to use it.
Oh, and if you think it's a good idea to convert your diesel to a vegetable oil burner... laughingdp  I hope you don't expect your engine to last very long.

Atomic Racing
Zalusky Advanced Riding School Lead instructor
2010 partners:
Komodo Gear, Motorex, Studio299, Moto Primo, Caztek, Chickenhawk
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 11:02:04 AM »

Oh, and if you think it's a good idea to convert your diesel to a vegetable oil burner... laughingdp  I hope you don't expect your engine to last very long.

My 1986 Ford Ranger diesel's prior (and first) owner converted it to run WVO in 1989 or 90 and he put 280k miles on it driving to McDonalds every week to fill up.  I can burn either SVO or regular petrodiesel with no problems, I just have to add antigel and antibacterial to the SVO.

It has a Mitsubishi 4D55T engine with the original factory seal on it (same rings, valves, etc etc) just replaced the injectors, belts and normal maintenance.

I know some diesel engines have issues with vege oil, but not all do.

Don't forget that Rudolf Diesel designed his engine to run peanut oil. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:04:51 AM by ducatizzzz » Logged

J.P.

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 11:19:10 AM »

Maybe we should file a complaint w/ the NHTSA.gov site like the sport classic guys did.
They all seem to be getting new tanks.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: