Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 09:02:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Plastic tank problems  (Read 109639 times)
arai_speed
« Reply #255 on: August 19, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »

As a side note for anyone getting a new tank - you can talk to your dealer when putting in the claim and get a different color tank if that floats your boat.

I was offered a different color when waiting for my Pearl White which I kindly declined.
extra330

« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2009, 06:34:43 AM »

Just as a point of interest, my new tank is installed and WOW. My old tank was hitting the controls on both the left and right side at full lock, now I have almost a 3/8" gap plus the latch now works. It's amazing how much the old tank had grown. I'll be keeping track of this one for sure.  [moto]

Current ride: 07 S4RS Pearl white
                  84 BMW R100RS
Past rides:
02 ST4S
97 900SSSP
90 Honda VFR 750
90 Suz. DR 350
82 Suz. GS 450
J.P.

« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:36 PM »

Check out "Anglers" pics, pg 6, in the above sticky- that's an '05 (<4 years old).
Totally unforgivable.

'06 S2R1k- Have a nice day! Smiley
superjohn

« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2009, 02:45:39 AM »

I start thinking I'm paranoid after reading this thread and want to be sure I'm seeing the same issue.

Check out these pics of my tank and tell me if it looks like I have a swelling issue, or just normal fitment problems.

NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #259 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »

I start thinking I'm paranoid after reading this thread and want to be sure I'm seeing the same issue.

Check out these pics of my tank and tell me if it looks like I have a swelling issue, or just normal fitment problems.

Swelling.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #260 on: September 03, 2009, 08:04:38 AM »

Swelling.

+1 - It seems minor side to side (your bumpers are not terrible), but looks pretty major lengthwise - your ignition is touching the hold down clasp.

Can you still undo the clasp and raise your tank?

mitt

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2009, 08:25:50 AM »

there is no such thing as "normal fitment problems!"

looks like your tank is in the early stages.  the frame bumpers are off by about 1/4 inch.  mine are off by about 1/2 inch.  the front looks like it is pressing, but you can still operate the latch -- i couldn't even get the latch closed anymore.

definitely swelling.  i would wait a month and then take it when the swelling is much worse because right now it is sort of marginal.

make sure to sign up on the mailing list (see first post) and file a NHTSA report after you take it to a dealer for inspection.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »

+1 - It seems minor side to side (your bumpers are not terrible), but looks pretty major lengthwise - your ignition is touching the hold down clasp.

Can you still undo the clasp and raise your tank?

mitt

it looks like he can, mine got so bad the latch was on top of the key switch rim.  i had to remove the latch mechanism to lower the tank all the way.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
pennyrobber

« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2009, 08:53:02 AM »

My tank was a little worse off when replaced, but you pretty much have the regular symptoms.

Men face reality and women don't. That's why men need to drink. -George Christopher
superjohn

« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »

Drat, that's what I thought. I have signed up on the list.

I can get the latch closed, but I have to put my hand in under the front and finnagle it a bit.
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #265 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

make sure to sign up on the mailing list (see first post) and file a NHTSA report after you take it to a dealer for inspection.

What this about a NHTSA report?  What's the for?  How does one file it?

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »

What this about a NHTSA report?  What's the for?  How does one file it?

Are you on my mailing list?  If so, I have sent out instructions.

Basically, NHTSA keeps track of problems in motor vehicles and if there is a trend, they can force the manufacturer to initiate a recall (they usually ask them nicely first...)

You should have the tank looked at by a dealer first.

The incident report takes about 5 minutes to finish depending on how much detail you put in the description section.  Basically, describe the tank's condition and provide your info, vin, etc.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

smooth

« Reply #267 on: September 06, 2009, 05:29:53 AM »

Thanks for posting those pics, superjohn. I was concerned about my S4RS. My tank looks just like yours in regards to the swelling, but it still "fits" and doesn't show massive swelling on the sides. I was hoping mine was fine, just hard to get the latch to work. I can't exactly remember how it fit when new, but I have a hard time getting the latch closed now. Ducatiz, I'll add my name to the list. Thanks for putting this together.
jesse370

« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2009, 06:45:15 AM »

Mine fits, but it has dimples and waves in it.

White S4Rs | Ducati Performance Chip | Termi's | Hyperpro side mount damper | Motowheels MW-7000 Slipper | Billet Clutch Cover |  Speedymoto Ti Spring Caps | Speedymoto Stainless Springs | STM Frame Plugs | Ducati Performance Seat | CRG Roll-A-Clicks
JustDucky

« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I've been avoiding this thread - ignorance is bliss.  But now that I'm educated I've filled out the survey.  I'll file a NHTSA complaint shortly.

The bike is a '07 S4Rs, about 3500 miles. Always garage kept in a climate controlled garage.  Left bumper offset to the outboard side of the frame tube.  Latch hits ignition.  Its been a while since I tried to operate it and I'm not in the mood for any unnecessary aggravation.  Last time I had the tank up relatching it sucked.  Didn't realize it could be related to anything other Italian "character."  Minor waves are present but I'm sensitive to that stuff.  The waves are not nearly as bad as the pics here.  I can't say about any steering lock issues as I'm running clip ons that were adjusted to clear the tank when I put them on but I'll watch for changes in the already tight tolerance.

And I agree with the soft paint.  I've had scratches develop seemingly from just my pant legs as well. I guess while moving around on the bike from side to side?  

Guess I'll be looking into a warranty tank soon too.

Still love the bike! The miles don't show how much I love to ride this thing but the fact that I've driven 7 hours at least once a month ( 2 or 3x on a great month) since April to the N Georgia mountains just to get the bike to the roads it deserves should say something.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:08:57 PM by JustDucky » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: