Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:56:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "safe" kickstand bypass done on my '02 620 for less than $2  (Read 11419 times)
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« on: March 14, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »

Special thanks to MonsterLover for advising me on the mod!

To summarize what I did for those who don't want to spend $40 for the bypass kit:

Go to Radio shack for part number: 276-1144 (3 amp barrel diode)

Jump the yellow/green wire from the neutral switch to the white/green wire on the side stand switch with a piece of wire approximately 2 ½ - 3 feet long (you can cut it later as you need to once you run the wire through to the other side of the bike. The diode will be soldered in line on this jumper wire, with the stripe facing towards the neutral switch. Make sure to tape up all the wires with electrical tape (and heat shrink tubing if you want to do really seal it up well). (You're not cutting any wires up, simply jumping two wires together and can use squeeze tap connectors if you wish).

The bike now starts with the stand down while in neutral, but if you try to go into gear with the stand down, engine will cut out.  waytogo

Enjoy.
-Bones
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:16:13 PM by Bones » Logged

I'm a loner, Dottie...a rebel...
needtorque

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »

Nice, good job.  waytogo

Who insures the FDIC?
NAKID

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »

Why did you need a diode? I did the same thing on my bike with some 18G wire that I had laying around...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »

I'm tryng to remember....

Keeps the neutral light from getting a ground from the stand in the up position (which would light it up all the time?)

Memory is IZ_ on this though...

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »

I'm tryng to remember....

Keeps the neutral light from getting a ground from the stand in the up position (which would light it up all the time?)

Memory is IZ_ on this though...

+1 With just a wire run between the two lines the neutral light would come on anytime the side stand was in the up position even if the bike was in gear. Both the neutral switch and the side stand switch work by completing the circuit to ground. 

NAKID

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »

+1 With just a wire run between the two lines the neutral light would come on anytime the side stand was in the up position even if the bike was in gear. Both the neutral switch and the side stand switch work by completing the circuit to ground. 

Not on mine. Neutral light is only on when the bike is in neutral, regardless of sidestand position...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:59:11 AM »

Interesting. I guess not all Ducs are the same in this respect. my concern would be unnecessary bleed-through of the ground signal so a $1.50 diode would be a good way to play it safe.

Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 06:09:50 AM »

snip

The bike now starts with the stand down while in neutral, but if you try to go into gear with the stand down, engine will cut out.  waytogo

Enjoy.
-Bones

I'm confused (it's early and i'm still working on  coffee so please correct if necessary).  You can start the bike in neutral with the stand down, but the engine cuts out as soon as you put the bike in gear with the side stand down?  Maybe mine's wired differently out of the factory, but isn't that the point of the kickstand switch in the first place?  A true bypass would be to allow the bike to be put in gear and ridden with the kickstand down, hence the "safety" moniker.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong, i just wanted some clarification. 

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:28:31 AM »

Chris, Bones has his bike set up so it will not run with the sidestand down when the bike is in gear.  His neutral light wire is used as part of the circuit.  Without a diode, any time the sidestand is up the neutral light will be on since a path to ground is completed.  My guess is you simply bypassed the sidestand switch which does not require a diode.
NAKID

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:49 AM »

Yeas, the kickstand switch is sitting in a box in the garage with all the other useless crap I took off. The connector coming from the bike is jumped and taped off...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Gimpy
Not quite a

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »

I'm confused (it's early and i'm still working on  coffee so please correct if necessary).  You can start the bike in neutral with the stand down, but the engine cuts out as soon as you put the bike in gear with the side stand down?  Maybe mine's wired differently out of the factory, but isn't that the point of the kickstand switch in the first place?  A true bypass would be to allow the bike to be put in gear and ridden with the kickstand down, hence the "safety" moniker.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong, i just wanted some clarification. 

Not sure if this is the clarification you wanted but, my bike from the factory would not start if the side stand was down. Even with the bike in neutral, and  with the clutch disengaged. (pulled in) Now with the same bypass as Bones, I can start my bike with the side stand down, but only if the bike is in neutral. 

It's nice I can let my bike warm up while I put on my gear, but if I bonehead it up and try to ride away with the side stand down the engine will cut out till I have rectified the situation.     [moto]

Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »

Not sure if this is the clarification you wanted but, my bike from the factory would not start if the side stand was down. Even with the bike in neutral, and  with the clutch disengaged. (pulled in) Now with the same bypass as Bones, I can start my bike with the side stand down, but only if the bike is in neutral. 

It's nice I can let my bike warm up while I put on my gear, but if I bonehead it up and try to ride away with the side stand down the engine will cut out till I have rectified the situation.     [moto]

sorry if my original post caused confusion, but Gimpy put it eloquently in that with this bypass, I can now let the bike warm up without having to sit on it with the kickstand up (against how Ducati originally designed it). I call this "safe", because it won't let me ride away (put the bike in gear) with the kickstand down so I won't catapult myself and the bike on the first left turn I make. I know at least once in the early part of the season, I will either try to ride away with my kickstand down and/or with my disc lock on, so this is why I really like this mod. [moto]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:34:43 AM by Bones » Logged

MrFryMoto

I need a new metal member

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »

Kickstand                  Nuetral
         |                           |
         |         (Diode)       |
         |------------|>|-----|

something like that?
i ask cause i would love to do this to my bike (i hate having the kickstand up to warm up the bike)

MrFry's News Ticker:
*shifty eyes* someone's been reporting bad news-->Fry-Cycles to offer baked, broiled & deep fried options as well .....My Little Pony still in style.....House NOT destroyed in motorcycle gang's takeover!.....DMF: where the cool kids hang out........
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »

It's nice I can let my bike warm up while I put on my gear, but if I bonehead it up and try to ride away with the side stand down the engine will cut out till I have rectified the situation.     [moto]

Interesting.  I'll have to look and see if there's already a bypass installed on my bike (05 S2R8) because I have no problems starting it up in N and letting it run for a bit.   I bought it used, so it's a possibility.  It still cuts if I drop into first with the side stand down (as you were saying) but runs just fine in neutral.  What model/year bikes are you folks running?

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
Bones
In spanish she calls it

'02 M620 - '00 996

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »

Kickstand                  Nuetral
         |         (Diode)       |
         |------------|>|-----|

something like that?
i ask cause i would love to do this to my bike (i hate having the kickstand up to warm up the bike)

Nice diagram! yes that looks right. I don't know what model/year Duc you have, but I would test to make sure you have the right wire on the kickstand side ( it will be one of two). Before I used the squeeze tap connectors, I used a couple of alligator clip wires and couple of thumbtacks to make sure I had the right wires (thumbtacks through the insulation into the wire and alligator clip to the thumbtack).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: