Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 08:35:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Tail Chop (Lots of Photo's)  (Read 49282 times)
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

the original write-up here uses the comp werkes kit:

http://competitionwerkes.com/products/Ducati/2007/Monster/standard-fender-eliminator-4

this is another (different) possibility:

http://www.ducatimonstertailchop.com/

s4tunate

my S4

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 01:54:49 AM »

Hi,

I just chopped mine today. Used the comp werkes kit too which is great. I had given this a fair bit of thought, but now I have done it I would def do it again - looks much better.

A couple of observations while doing it:-

1)  I have high mounts so the extra long bolts were not long enough (the pipe mounts already had bolts of same size, so while I could mount the main pan, the signal mounts are barely held - will need to get longer bolts from somewhere.

2) Cutting was tricky, only had a large hack saw that was not sharp enough (found out after halfway through), and not much room for a full stroke. Also, the 6.5 inches it said in instructions, would had cut into the welding for the lock, so I had to go 6.25 inches. ALso I found getting the angle of the cut hard to match up. so one side has slightly different angle. On the good side I used tape and no paint damage.

3) Wiring route used in this post was different to CW instructions - I copies theirs and looks ok.

4) Alignment of kit was perfect first time - was expecting to have to bend and fiddle, but I just lined it up first time and all the angles are fine.

5) Seat shut first time with no fiddling or cutting - but for some reason my S4 didn't have the seat knobs as seen in this post.

6) overhang - I had my doubts before buying about how long the pipes would hang out, but after the chop I am more pleased than I thought I would be. If you look at the bike side on, yes they do hang out , but even the slightest angle and the look is much cleaner.

7) attaching plate - no one told me but my NSW (Australia) plate holes dont marry up with any on the kit's plate so have tied on with plastic ties untill I I figure it out.

Cool It took me much longer than the other here, but I using someone elses garage so had to hunt for tools a lot and not that much room. Took about 4 hours with lots of stop starting.

On the whole, it took longer than I thought, but the kit quality is great.  Just need to paint the cut metal, buy a new licence plate bulb, and buy longer screws and all done. Next purchase are tiny indicators (I wanted the Rizoma track 1's but they dont sell em anymore!)

Thanks for the initial post and all the other replies - helped motivate me to do it finally.

BEFORE

AFTER

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »

I had a carbon tailkit from DP, it was mounted when I bought the bike a month ago.. Chopped it off and sold it and used that money to buy a cuts (not on the pictures though I haven't recieved it yet). That chop cost me 3$ worth of steel pieces that went to charity (save the children), funny story..

Sry that I don't have any in-action-pictures...

No, the dainese gear hanging in the garage is not mine, its some old shit that belongs to my brother, it's probably from the 90's  laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp
Mr.Purple

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »

Usefull post.

About the rain issues, have anyone tried combining the tail chop with a rear hugger?
I use my monster as my main transportation eight months of the year. Where six of them is constantly raining. Rain and mud on my back is not an option.
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »

+1 on NOT using a pipe cutter. Back when I did mine I thought I was sooo damn clever for thinking of that.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
mxgrant185

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »

How do u re route the under seat lock on an old monster? I've looked at it for awhile now and can't find a good way to do it
Mundman

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »

Man that looks great and an amazing tutorial! applause

'12 Ducati 1199 tri
'10 KTM 990 SuperMoto 990
'02 HD Heritage Springer
'94 Honda Nighthawk 250
Assorted Tonka and Corgi vehicles
superkain

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »

I was considering doing this, too.

Thanks for the info!

Nice instructions.

I decided to make one myself out of sheet metal (how difficult can it be, right?).

1.  The first one took me hours to cut out properly and rusted/weakened in less than a year, to the point of dropping off into my rear tire and hitting me in the back of the helmet.  Had to stop on Interstate 5 and walk back to pick it up Embarrassed

2.  Figured I'd learned from my mistake, cut the second one out and shot it with primer and paint.  Reinforced it with two steel tabs where the bend is to make t stronger.  It's strong alright....and crooked.

3.  Next time, I'm spending the $100 and calling it good.    Faking nuisance.
CairnsDuc
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2015, 02:47:33 PM »

Good to see this topic is still useful to folks, I may not be around the board much anymore but I have made sure to leave the pictures on Photobucket for all my tutorial topics in case people still like to use them.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: