Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 18, 2024, 01:16:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to: Tail Chop (Lots of Photo's)  (Read 49344 times)
CairnsDuc
« on: February 23, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »

G'day all

Decided that after ordering my Tail chop kit from Monsterparts about 6 months ago, I'd better get it fitted,
here is a brief look at hacking the tail off my 2007 S2R 800

Chop Kit from Monsterparts:Competition Werkes Monster Tail-Chop Kit, I looked at a few others but decided this kit was the kit for me, room for the number plate light, and included all bolts, nuts and decent instructions
I painted the Kit Black with a quality self priming Paint.

Tools Required
Socket Set and Allen Driver Set
Assorted allen Keys (Allen drivers can't get into some tight corners)
Measuring tape and Marking pen
Wire cutters and Zipties
Hacksaw and some assorted small files
Loctite and some self priming paint (black)
Soldering Iron and solder (optional, I have modified some of my wiring so I had to cut and join some wires)
Soldering Iron with Plastic cutting tool or a small saw (To cut some plastic under the seat)

The offending article!

Remove the four nuts from under the tail, Flip it over and remove your Tail light, Indicators and Number plate light (I have a CA Led Taillight and LED Number plate light)

Clear all your wires away from the Tail section, it should be now bare and nothing near it at risk of being cut or damaged, because soon we start cutting!  Evil

Time to Measure 6.5 Inches from the end of the Tail, I mark this with a permanent pen, I also put some clear tape around the paint in case the saw moved or slipped, I would hack at the tape, not at the paint!
Again double check your measurements! and to be safe check again. Then step back and make sure all your pen marks look to be in line.
Now Grab your Hacksaw (I know some people will use Grinders, Cut all's, Plasma Cutters, C4, Etc, I'll leave your choice of weapon up to you)
Do Not use a Pipe Cutter, this will Damage and Chip the Paint on the Frame

After about 10 Minutes of Hacking and Destroying, A trimmed frame, I now grabbed a couple of files and tided up the edges to make them nice and smooth, I also grabbed a Vacuum cleaner and cleaned out all the metal filings from the frame, you will also notice the Tarp covering the rear wheel and Chain, I figured metal filings all over the Chain and getting on the Shock would not be a healthy Idea for there longevity.

In this photo I have painted the bare metal with a black anti rust paint to seal everything up and I have installed the Caps from the Tail Chop kit, I have used a little loctite on them to lock them in place, they are a snug fit, but with all the vibration I think they would work loose without a little help from the Loctite.

I have now got the Tail chop bracket in place and secured using the longer bolts that come with the Kit, I use a little Loctite (Blue) to secure them in place.

Here's the Underside of the Replaced Bolts, This is the Before shot, In the Kit I bought these are replaced with a longer bolt and I also put washers under the bolt heads, I had none on the original bolts from factory (as shown here) there is another just out of shot on the left.

This Shot shows the longer threads poking through and I have secured the Tail light back in place.
NOTE: when running all of your wiring, make sure they will not get caught in the latch or will not pinch under the seat when it's locked in place.

This shows now shows the Number plate light back in place and wired in, again Loctite was used on the bolts and screws to ensure they would not come loose and fall out.

Alright, the end is near,  Shocked well done if you've made this far!!  Grin
This is the bracket in place for the Indicator, you might have to bend this up or down a little to get it sitting level. again watch your wire routing to make sure it can't be cut, nicked or crushed.
Nylock nuts are used here to lessen the chance of them vibrating loose.

This is the almost finished wiring, I just have to secure the Indicator wires, the excess wire has been coiled up incase I have trouble with the local  Police and he wants the Tail put back on, at least I won't have to a heap of extra soldering and joining to do.

And here it is all done..... Well, Not Quite one more Job to do yet, we have to modify the Seat, but it looks good so far, I have to say I'm amazed at how heavy the removed piece of frame and plastic are!

The seat posts at the rear have to be modified or removed, I decided to remove them, I used a soldering iron with a plastic cutting attachment to cut them off.
If you choose to melt them off like I did, do it in a large well ventilated area, I had a pedestal fan sitting off to my right running at full power while I did the work to ensure no smoke or fumes could reach me.

Well after all the saga, we have completed the Job, I just to now have to play around gently bending the brackets to get them nice and snug up against the seat, but I'll do that another day, I'm going to have a  drink

And after making through this Tutorial, I think you need a drink as well. Go on, you deserved it!  waytogo

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:59:35 PM by CairnsDuc » Logged
tim_golfer2

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 04:51:04 AM »

Best instructions I've seen yet.

Pics make it all very clear. I might summon up the courage to have a go. Do you know if the 620 requires hacking into the seat too?

Kit is out of stock at monsterparts atm. But a few other places to source it I guess.

Were you tempted to change the blinkers while you were at it?

Tim
CairnsDuc
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »

My plan is to change the blinkers, the stock ones fit (barely!) but after loosing another lens on Sunday I have decided to replace them, I start working for a Ducati dealer in a couple of weeks, so I'll have a look to see what he has access to at a decent price.

As far as what seat has to be chopped on which bike, No idea, you'll have to just play around with that when you try to put the seat on, some may just have to have small trims, mine needed fairly hefty changes. Again not a problem, I have removed my passenger foot pegs and will never carry a person on the back.  waytogo
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »

great write-up, thanks. i will do the exact same thing as soon as the temp goes up to at least 50 degrees. (08 s2r)

i already have the compwerkes kit sitting in the garage, and i also planned to paint it black. haven't decided between painting it myself or having it powdercoated black. what kind of paint did you use? are you satisfied with the result (the painting part i mean)?

thanks again for the detailed write-up. i will do my chop with this page opened up.    cheers.   

corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »

Best instructions I've seen yet.

Pics make it all very clear. I might summon up the courage to have a go. Do you know if the 620 requires hacking into the seat too?

Kit is out of stock at monsterparts atm. But a few other places to source it I guess.

Were you tempted to change the blinkers while you were at it?

Tim

Don't hesitate to give Jeff at Monsterparts a call.
He was able to dropship a kit to me directly from the mfg.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
tangueroHondo

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »

Nice instructions.

I decided to make one myself out of sheet metal (how difficult can it be, right?).

1.  The first one took me hours to cut out properly and rusted/weakened in less than a year, to the point of dropping off into my rear tire and hitting me in the back of the helmet.  Had to stop on Interstate 5 and walk back to pick it up Embarrassed

2.  Figured I'd learned from my mistake, cut the second one out and shot it with primer and paint.  Reinforced it with two steel tabs where the bend is to make t stronger.  It's strong alright....and crooked.

3.  Next time, I'm spending the $100 and calling it good.    Faking nuisance.
grandpa nate
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »

Just plain cool.  Question:  Could you post a side shot of the pipes?  I have the same setup and was thinking about doing a tail chop but wondering if the full length termis would goofy stickin out the back
Jtree007

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:18 AM »

Awesome write up... chug

08 Infiniti G37s
06 Toyota Prius
99 Ducati Monster M900 - Stolen 12-24-08
08 Ducati Monster S2R 1000
CairnsDuc
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »

Here is the Side shot as requested, I was a little worried that the pipes would stick out to far, but I have to say I'm happy with how far they come out, The whole back end reminds me of the back end of the MotoGP bikes, So I have to say I am very happy with it.

grandpa nate
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »

Thank you very much!!!!!!!  The bike looks schweeeeet!!
CairnsDuc
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

Update: Living with the Chop.

Just thought I would give you some insight on living with a chopped Tail,
You will get more water and debris sprayed up behind you from the rear wheel! Simple as that!
I've had a few people PM me asking what it's like in the rain.

I have been riding in the rain now a couple of times and been amazed at how much water and dirt get sprayed up on my back pack and Helmet, I used to get to work and have very little water on the back pack, but now it is very wet and covered in sand and dirt, and the back of the bike does get more dirty than normal when it's raining.

So if you commute you may want to consider that, my bike is now going to be a weekend warrior, so if I'm out riding on the weekend and it rains, it won't be a problem.  waytogo
grandpa nate
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »

OK..I have another stupid question...how are the passenger accommodations with the bleakers set in closer...any butt issues?
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:27:13 AM »

i would guess he does not ride 2 up a lot, the passenger pegs are missing from the bike...

btw CairnsDuc, i did my tailchop a couple weeks ago, and your write-up was a great help. thanks.

CairnsDuc
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »

Passengers?!? what is this Passenger of which you speak?  cheeky

To be honest I only saw my passengers seat for the first time about 2 months ago when I replaced my Damaged cowling  laughingdp

Passenger foot pegs and mounts were gone about 2 mins after I got the bike home for the first time, and one of them still props the garage door open on a windy day.  waytogo

Hey hunduc, Glad I could be of help  Smiley
filter

Bumblebee

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 04:16:58 PM »

Great writeup.  I am considering a tail chop, and these instructions are a great aid for a noob like me.

If I do it, I want to have integrated turn signals in the brake light.  Will the existing tabs for the turn signals stand out?

01 Monster 750 Dark (El Matador Tail Chop, Arrow CF exhaust, K&N Filter, CA LED Taillight, Radiantz LED License Plate holder, Blue LED Instrument Cluster, black belt cover, lifted suspension, 14T sprocket, Cycle Cat Billet Side Stand, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, custom Desmo reservoir caps)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: